Silan SC92031 driver for Legacy OS LTS 2.1 kernel 2.6.18.1

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
renuvio

Silan SC92031 driver for Legacy OS LTS 2.1 kernel 2.6.18.1

#1 Post by renuvio »

Hi everyone.

I'm just testing Legacy OS 2.1 LTS in a PC with a Celeron (Coppermine) processor that run at 900 MHz and had 384 MB of RAM, and runs pretty well but the module for the ethernet card, a Silan sc92031, isn't included.

I tried to use the Windows driver with ndiswrapper, but i got this error message tryin' to run this package

Code: Select all

# ndiswrapper
Can't locate File/Basename.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4 /usr/local/chare/perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 21.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 21
So, i'm asking for help to get that module to continue the testing of this nice distro that gave new life to my old computer.

The kernel is 2.6.18.1 and there is the zip file with the source of that module.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
sc92031.zip
sc92031 module source
(16.98 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

renuvio

Another copy of the drivers' source

#2 Post by renuvio »

Checking in some old discs I just found another copy of the source for the Silan SC93021 network adapter, also known as the "fake" Realtek 8139. This may be useful to anyone looking for this driver; i hope somebody had the chance and the time to compile it if it's possible.

It's a tgz file inside a zip, the forum's software don't allow tgz attachments
Attachments
SL_LINUX.zip
PCI SIlan SC92031 driver's source
(19.98 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

With that kernel, are you sure it's not onboard?

Run this then see if "ifconfig -a" picks it up:

Code: Select all

modprobe sc92031
I'll boot if I can find my copy..

==

Nope! You may need a driver after all:

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/SC92031.html

==

Favor.. Open a terminal and forward the output: lspci -nn | grep Ethernet

That module would be included if only John's kernel were slightly newer.

Hmm..

A supported card may be a better option if you wanna stay with Legacy.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

renuvio

#4 Post by renuvio »

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to compile the source using the devx for another Puppy version with the same kernel, the venerable 2.16 with SeaMonkey that i found in a batch of old cds, but it didn't work,

But Puppy 2.16 have a working ndiswrapper, so i opted to just install the driver for WIndows XP and voilà!, this old machine is surfing the web again. Maybe not the most elegant way but it works. Actually, I'm writing this words from that install.

Now, after setting up the sound and adding another programs like the good ol' xmms and others this PC is working finally just fine, like i need it, so i will let this pup just like that.

Anyway, thanks for the interest in my post.

For reference, i will let here the WinXP driver for this cheap PCI ethernet card, the Silan SC92031, just in case anyone will be searching for this in the future.
Attachments
puppy216.jpg
(20.88 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
sc92031_winxp_driver.zip
Windows XP driver for Silan SC92031 PCI ethernet card
(12.59 KiB) Downloaded 144 times