Some files load into file system from SFS file, some don't

Using applications, configuring, problems
rockedge

Some files load into file system from SFS file, some don't

#1 Post by rockedge »

Does anyone know why don't some files and directories load into the file system from an sfs?

Even if the file or directory doesn't exist, some files will not load into the file system.

I have a my.conf file that will not be loaded from the .sfs into the /etc/mysql directory. But another file in the folder in the .sfs will be loaded and unloaded. I hope for some insight! Thanks.....

mikeslr

post subject

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Not sure if this applies. The base SFS and the SaveFile/Folder have the highest priority. Files in any other SFS which conflict will be ignored. Know that's true if an SFS includes python when a different version of python is in the base or SaveFile/Folder.

mikesLr

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

That does apply! I see that what you describe is what is happening.
I can't find out where the copy of the my.conf is that is appearing and will not allow the sfs version to load. I experimented with unloading the sfs and removing the entire folder /etc/mysql...thinking the sfs version would load...no go. That I can't seem to get a grip on!

I am experimenting with fresh frugal installs of Tahr 6.0.5 and 6.0.6

your info is another step forward..thanks.

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

As you are using Tahr, the adrv and ydrv (which are sfs files) is supported. These sfs's have preference to the base sfs. So all you need to do, is to rename that sfs file that does not load correctly to the adrv or ydrv, eg adrv_tahr_6.0.5.sfs and place it in the same directory as your base sfs. It will be loaded automatically at bootup and just after the savefile (but before the base sfs).

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

OK!! That info is HUGE.
Excellent to know. I have built 1 SFS that loads a working Hiawatha v10.5 sever with MySQL PHP5 and phpmyadmin. And a 2nd SFS with ZoneMinder 1.30.2 which loaded next, will give a fully functional ZoneMinder CCTV camera system and Network Video Recorder.

I will test out loading the Hiawatha-mysql.sfs as adrv_Hiawatha-mysql.sfs at boot time.

perhaps as a PET with an installation script would work better for installing the web server / zoneminder components?

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

I tested and that will do it...some bugs but overall it worked. The install is some what cumbersome so I will attempt to specify a different my.conf location for the sfs version.
I found a /etc/mysql directory in the puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs and 6.0.5

The question now is WHY is there a /etc/mysql directory with a my.conf in the puppy_tahr_6.0.6.sfs to begin with????

rockedge

#7 Post by rockedge »

the solution was to move the location of the my.conf file in the SFS to /etc.

drunkjedi

#8 Post by drunkjedi »

This wouldn't be a problem if Puppy loads extra .sfs files above base sfs layer, like fatdog.
See ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faq ... ystem.html

What are the advantages of loading extra .sfs files below base sfs?

And if we want to load sfs above base sfs, do we only need to change sfs load script to act like fatdog's?
Or some magic of initrd is needed too?

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

BTW - your adrv and ydrv must carry the name of your distribution.

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

drunkjedi wrote:This wouldn't be a problem if Puppy loads extra .sfs files above base sfs layer, like fatdog.
See ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faq ... ystem.html

What are the advantages of loading extra .sfs files below base sfs?

And if we want to load sfs above base sfs, do we only need to change sfs load script to act like fatdog's?
Or some magic of initrd is needed too?
Well, if you don't want an installed program to overwrite (take preference) to a file in the base sfs it should be loading below base sfs. In fact, this should probably be the preferred method for general applications. Think you will have to make changes to initrd to make it behave like fatdog.

drunkjedi

#11 Post by drunkjedi »

I can't think of any case where I would want base files to take preference over extra sfs I made.
As extra sfs is made with intention of changing/extending/improving base.
If a file in extra sfs is overwriting/causing trouble to base system in undesired way, we could easily unload extra sfs and make changes to it.

I think loading extra sfs over base should be the way the system behaves.

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

And if you system crashes when unloading the SFS without having a chance to fix things?

drunkjedi

#13 Post by drunkjedi »

But that would be a problem with an faulty adrv I make too.
Anything I load over base sfs has potential to break puppy.
But it's the only way to upgrade without touching base sfs.
With using adrv I lose freedom of loading and unloading sfs when I need it.
And as adrv is loaded automatically, I have to boot in different, change adrv, then reboot.
Or use a Boot option to not load adrv, I don't remember if such exist ATM, will have to refresh my memory of boot options.

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

Why? You can load and unload sfs's easily with an adrv running. I only use the adrv for general configuration settings. I do use a ydrv too which I use to load a few sfs's automatically at bootup. All other extra sfs's can easily be loaded by adding a script to /etc/rc.d/local for example or you can load during a session on the fly.

rockedge

#15 Post by rockedge »

I designed the sfs files for the LHMP and ZM servers to be loaded on the fly. With the thought of enhancing the base system with modifications. It would be cumbersome for users to install using the adrv_ and or ydrv_.
When both sfs files are removed the system is returned to it's default state.
What does a PET do when it loads?

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

rockedge wrote:I designed the sfs files for the LHMP and ZM servers to be loaded on the fly. With the thought of enhancing the base system with modifications. It would be cumbersome for users to install using the adrv_ and or ydrv_.
When both sfs files are removed the system is returned to it's default state.
What does a PET do when it loads?
Loading an sfs on the fly does not modify the base sfs (files with the same name will not be overwritten) but adds to the base sfs. It's safer in terms of system stability. Sfs's are loaded and not installed anywhere. Pets install to a savefile/folder if you have one. If you are running in RAM mode, a pet will temporarily install into RAM (if you have enough RAM). In the latter case it will work as if installed to savefile/folder and modify the base sfs for that session (files with same name will be overwritten).

rockedge

#17 Post by rockedge »

yes I understand how the sfs works. I have the sfs(s) working smoothly by adjusting the location of the necessary config files. I needed to get a better understanding of what happens at load time, so when the sfs(s) are loaded the programs work correctly.
I meant to say by loading an SFS it would enhance the base sfs with added capabilities, not change it. So the base system will still be able to run in its default state when the SFS is removed.
So the PET installation will overwrite and can be saved in the save file or folder.....I think I will also try out these as PETS at some point. Thanks for the help!

nic007

#18 Post by nic007 »

rockedge wrote:yes I understand how the sfs works. I have the sfs(s) working smoothly by adjusting the location of the necessary config files. I needed to get a better understanding of what happens at load time, so when the sfs(s) are loaded the programs work correctly.
I meant to say by loading an SFS it would enhance the base sfs with added capabilities, not change it. So the base system will still be able to run in its default state when the SFS is removed.
So the PET installation will overwrite and can be saved in the save file or folder.....I think I will also try out these as PETS at some point. Thanks for the help!
Yes, if you have a savefile/folder pets will install to that. "Installing" a pet in RAM mode (no savefile/folder loaded), the effect would be the same as if installed to the savefile but it will reside in RAM. So in short - puppy works in layers, top to down. In order of preference: Savefile/folder > adrv/ydrv > base sfs > zdrv > sfs's on the fly

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

puppy works in layers, top to down. In order of preference: Savefile/folder > adrv/ydrv > base sfs > zdrv > sfs's on the fly
I am not seeing this in Xenialpup 7.0.8.1

I see stuff loaded at boot in this order:

Xenial main sfs
zdrv sfs
adrv sfs
xenial save folder
any sfs packages set to load on boot.

Frugal installs.
Also, what Puppy is installed on and running from, affects how the RAMdisk is used.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

drunkjedi

#20 Post by drunkjedi »

nic007 wrote:Why? You can load and unload sfs's easily with an adrv running. I only use the adrv for general configuration settings. I do use a ydrv too which I use to load a few sfs's automatically at bootup. All other extra sfs's can easily be loaded by adding a script to /etc/rc.d/local for example or you can load during a session on the fly.
Sorry for late reply, it was 1am here, went to sleep.

Anyway what I was saying was I lose the ability of undoing changes on the fly as my changes would be in adrv and I can't unload adrv on the fly.

That's why I want extra sfs (on the fly) to load over base sfs not under it.
So I can modify system on the fly, and undo it too.