FbBox-5.0 - Released 23 Sept 2017

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
augras

#81 Post by augras »

Hi radky,
i'm in the starting-blocks !
Philippe

belham2

#82 Post by belham2 »

Hi Radky,

I just wanted to say, after 3 straight days of using FbBox in my dpup-stretch-700-DELUXE woof-Ce builds I am doing (on the Puppy Derivative forum), that I am taken aback. It is beautiful, simple, and stable. I am going to, in the next ISO I upload this week of my dpup-stretch builds, going to try to completely remove JWM and make your FbBox with Openbox the default DE. Those popups config menus are incredible....the time you must have into this really shows. No offense to JWM (which has served puppyland ably for a long time), but your FbBox blows JWM off the desktop. Great job :wink:

radky

#83 Post by radky »

Hi belham2,

Thanks for your kind comments. I've always enjoyed the fbpanel/openbox desktop in the popular Lucid Puppy, and FbBox is just an extension of that concept.

FbBox provides multiple configuration options and recently the fbpanel devs have simplified the creation of optional panel plugins. The SysInfoBar of FbBox-4.1 (coming soon) is based on this new functionality, providing baseline system information on the default interface plus additional information through popup tooltips.

Thanks again for testing FbBox. :)
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

Pelo

Sorry, when reading the topic, XFCE no good

#84 Post by Pelo »

"• The WM-Switcher utility mediates switching between the FbBox desktop environment and the standard JWM desktop. Switching to other desktop environments is not supported. "
ah... i change my mind. I intended with misfire X-Slacko. Ok
Test bench with Slegopen (HU Slacko 5.7). Reboot. Ok , excepted icons stil on desktop.. I read deeper the topic

radky

Re: Sorry, when reading the topic, XFCE no good

#85 Post by radky »

Pelo wrote:"• The WM-Switcher utility mediates switching between the FbBox desktop environment and the standard JWM desktop. Switching to other desktop environments is not supported. "
ah... i change my mind. I intended with misfire X-Slacko. Ok
Test bench with Slegopen (HU Slacko 5.7). Reboot. Ok , excepted icons stil on desktop.. I read deeper the topic
Hi Pelo,

Thanks for testing FbBox.

Based on your comments above, I'm not sure when you rebooted.

When installing FbBox, please do not reboot until the installation is complete. Rebooting too quickly will result in a partial installation and many options of FbBox will not function correctly.

Follow the steps below:

1 - Boot your standard Puppy to the JWM desktop
2 - Install the FbBox pet
3 - Immediately go to Puppy menu -> Desktop -> WM Switcher
4 - Select the FbBox option
5 - Click the Restart-X button
6 - This will run important setup scripts before starting the FbBox desktop
7 - Installation of FbBox is now complete

[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

davenull

#86 Post by davenull »

I'm liking Fbbox, thanks.
Can you point to how I might configure the right-click desktop menu? I'd like to just have a duplicate of the applications menu with no extras. I've tried editing the openbox configuration files that I could find, with no result. I may have a somewhat broken install.

radky

#87 Post by radky »

Hi davenull,

In FbBox the openbox right-click menu integrates with multiple external scripts, and changing that relationship may break the menu.

If you are interested in a specific menu configuration, please feel to contact me by PM and hopefully we can achieve your goal. :)

Semme

#88 Post by Semme »

Hello Radky,

I've got the distinct sense that Mr.Davenull here is suffering a conflict with the way your FbBox calls the "run-as-spot" script. I haven't looked closer but suspect a mediating or "baton-pass" script would allow his Palemoon to launch.
** (palemoon.bin:2057): ERROR **: I can't write to '/tmp/launchbar1/orbit-spot', ORB init failed
If you can determine my hunch is wrong, please, no worries.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

radky

#89 Post by radky »

Hi Semme and Davenull,

I do not use spot in Puppy so my comments are limited.

Using jamesbond's run-as-spot script, I tested palemoon as spot in Tahrpup-6.0.5 and the browser does not launch from the main fbpanel menu or when called from a panel launcher.

However, when I boot into Slacko-6.3.0, the mozilla firefox browser included in the distro launches correctly as spot in fbpanel, both from the main Puppy menu and from a panel launcher.

Possibly, launching the palemoon browser from fbpanel in Tahrpup may be an issue with permissions in the /opt directory where palemoon is installed.

radky

#90 Post by radky »

Hi Semme and Davenull,

In Tahrpup, launching palemoon as spot requires adding spot:spot permissions to palemoon files.

The following works for me when launching palemoon as spot from the Puppy menu in FbBox:

1 - Edit /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop to show the following: Exec=run-as-spot palemoon

2 - To set file permissions, run the following in a terminal (one time):

ln -sf /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon
chown -h spot:spot /usr/bin/palemoon
chown -R spot:spot /opt/palemoon

In the next release of FbBox (4.1) I will add support for launching spot apps from the fbpanel launchers.

Thanks

davenull

#91 Post by davenull »

radky,

The solution above didn't work by itself, but the original one in your PM to me with the extra lines creating the missing directories did.

The directories aren't persistent, but with the lines placed in a shell script at startup...

#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p /tmp/launchbar1 /tmp/launchbar2
chown spot:spot /tmp/launchbar1
chown spot:spot /tmp/launchbar2

...Pale Moon as spot is working great across reboots so far. I'll see if any further issues arise.

Thanks so much for your help!

radky

#92 Post by radky »

Hi davenull,

Thanks for confirming your success with palemoon as spot in FbBox.

To clarify, the following code sets correct permissions for palemoon in Tahrpup, and enables launching palemoon as spot from the Puppy menu in FbBox.

Code: Select all

ln -sf /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon
chown -h spot:spot /usr/bin/palemoon
chown -R spot:spot /opt/palemoon
The following code enables launching palemoon as spot from fbpanel launchers, and must be set manually for FbBox-4.0. However, in the next release (FbBox-4.1) this code will be generated automatically, with no need for additional manual scripting.

mkdir -p /tmp/launchbar1 /tmp/launchbar2
chown spot:spot /tmp/launchbar1
chown spot:spot /tmp/launchbar2
Thanks again for your comments.

Pelo

FbBox 2.0 for Thar as default in PuppyBang Linux 6.0.3

#93 Post by Pelo »

FbBox 2.0 for Thar as default in PuppyBang Linux 6.0.3. No Difference with version 4.0 ? If i download version 4 above version 2.0, what is happening.. Feed back soon.
Attachments
fbbox.jpg
(14.87 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

radky

#94 Post by radky »

Removed
Last edited by radky on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

i will feed back in french

#95 Post by Pelo »

i will feed back in french in this topic by Musher0 It's much easier to explain thing in our native language. Musher0 is bi-lingual,

belham2

a fbbox 4.0 bug?

#96 Post by belham2 »

Hi Radky,

I've been putting FbBox-4.0 as the 'default' desktop manager in various woof-Ce builds I've done the past several days, and it all has been working quite good. Upon initial boot, user never sees anything jwm-related and fbbox-4.0 sets ups completely to its default settings & all its glory.

Anyhow, on a build I did just yesterday, a Slacko32 with kernel 4.1.11, all was working great, and then something weird happened, I'll recount the steps here exactly:

1) Via MENU button, I slid up and opened the "Control Center" for Fbbox Control Center"

2) Slid over to the "Settings" tab & clicked it

3) Wanted to modify the "Time Format"

4) In "Time Format", I elected (on the 2nd tab) to use "Custom"

5) I entered exactly "%d %b %n %I:%H:%S PM", and hit 'set' to set up this time format in the tray. It set itself up perfectly, showing on two lines in the fbpanel bttom tray beside the volume button:

17 APR
01:44:16 pm

6) I then closed the Fbbox Control Center out, and was using the browser for a half hour Googling something.

7) I then looked back at the time in the bottom tray panel, and realized I forget to put "%a" in front of "%d....." so that the 3 letter "day" abbreviation would also show.

8) So, I repeated the process/steps above, and added "%a" in front of %d %b %n %I:%H:%S PM listed above.

9) I hit 'set', and then that's when 1st thte time disappeared in the tray panel, and 2nd, the "Time Format" in FBBoxCC completely quit functioning...it became unresponsive, and has stayed that way despite reboots and multiple times restarting both WM and X. The worse part is whatever adding the '%a' did, it completely wiped the time out of my tray panel, and it is like it never existed before, and I've no way to tell time by quickly glancing at the tray, Even the space for it beside volume is gone .. :(

I search through /root/config and also .fbpanel looking for something/anything that went wrong, and/or trying to override whatever happened (like you can do in .jwm files), but I can find nothing in the fbpanel folders/files I've found to correct this, let alone know what went wrong.

Would you have any idea what happened? Did adding the "%a" cause some self-destruct sequence to initiate and thus permanently disable having time in the bottom tray panel and/or having it even work when you open FbBox CC, Settings, and click on "Time Format'??? Why would fbBox show "%d %b %n %I:%H:%S PM" perfectly, but then completely crash & wipe itself when I added "%a" to get the three letter day abbreviation? To reiterate again,, clicking "Time Format' in FCC is completely dead and unresponsive, and I can't figure out how to get at least a basic time version back in the bottom fbpanel tray. Reboots, restarts, windowmgr restarts and X restarts do nothing. FDbBox-4.0 time is gone from the system it seems, lol.

Let me know what you think....I'd hate to have to do a complete rebuild just to get this working :cry:

radky

#97 Post by radky »

Hi belham2,

Fbpanel reads the current clock format from the "ClockFmt" line of $HOME/.config/fbpanel/default.

If the strftime code of this line is corrupt, the clock may become unresponsive.

For your selected strftime code, you should see something like the following in $HOME/.config/fbpanel/default and /usr/local/PupClockset/fbpanelClockFmt:

ClockFmt = <span font-family="Sans" size="medium" weight="normal" style="normal" color="white">%a %d %b %n %I:%H:%S PM</span>
Also, you should see something like the following in /usr/local/PupClockset/fbp.rc, /usr/local/PupClockset/clock-variables.rc and /usr/local/PupClockset/clock-variables2.rc

FBPFONT_STRING="%a %d %b %n %I:%H:%S PM"
Please make any necessary corrections in those files, then restart X and check the panel clock.

If the problem persists, please try "grep -a" to force parsing the non-ASCII input string as text:

Go to line #70 of /usr/local/PupClockset/func

and change

grep ClockFmt $FBPANEL > $WORKDIR/fbpanelClockFmt
to

grep -a ClockFmt $FBPANEL > $WORKDIR/fbpanelClockFmt
---

In the recent betas of Slacko-7.0 I have noticed some scripts fail unexpectedly when parsed strings contain certain special characters or perhaps a specific sequence of special characters.

One possible explanation for this behavior is the altered binary-detection heuristics of grep >= 2.21, in which case some scripts may fail when grep fails.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 668#924668
Last edited by radky on Wed 19 Apr 2017, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#98 Post by belham2 »

radky wrote:Hi belham2,

Fbpanel reads the current clock format from the "ClockFmt" line of $HOME/.config/fbpanel/default.

If the strftime code of this line is corrupt, the clock may become unresponsive.

For your selected strftime code, you should see something like the following in $HOME/.config/fbpanel/default and /usr/local/PupClockset/fbpanelClockFmt:

ClockFmt = <span font-family="Sans" size="medium" weight="normal" style="normal" color="white">%a %d %b %n %I:%H:%S PM</span>
Also, you should see something like the following in /usr/local/PupClockset/fbp.rc, /usr/local/PupClockset/clock-variables.rc and /usr/local/PupClockset/clock-variables2.rc

FBPFONT_STRING="%a %d %b %n %I:%H:%S PM"
Please make any necessary corrections in those files, then restart X and check the panel clock.

If the problem persists, please try "grep -a" to force parsing as a binary file rather than a text file:

Go to line #70 of /usr/local/PupClockset/func

and change

grep ClockFmt $FBPANEL > $WORKDIR/fbpanelClockFmt
to

grep -a ClockFmt $FBPANEL > $WORKDIR/fbpanelClockFmt

Hi Radky,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Interestingly, I had found the PupClockset folder in /usr/local/, but didn't quite know what to change.

When I looked closely, this is what I found:

1. fbp.rc - it was completely empty, like it had been blanked. So I copied what was in the "fbx.rc" file, and just changed the "x" to "p" and then made sure the "CLOCKVAR#" were numbered 1-8.

2. Clock-variables2.rc - the file started at "CLOCKVAR9="true", and also anything stating "FBPFONT #####" did not exist. I copied the entries for "FBXFONT....." & created new 1-8 "CLOCKVAR", setting them the same as all the others.

3. Clock-variables.rc - this file was exactly like "clock-variables2.rc" above. Made the same changes.

4. fbpanelClockFmt - in this file, all the entries were there, but the variables description (between the "") were blank. Re-entered the missing desc variables between the "" using what you wrote.

5. /root/.config/fbpanel/default - on line 1109 (using Geany), the "ClockFmt" had every "" set as empty (same as #4 above). So I also re-entered everything on this line, following what you wrote closely.

After doing all this, I re-started X, and for a brief second (as X re-started), the clock came back but then as X finished loading, it immediately disappeared again.

I then went back into all the 1 -5 files above, and again, they all had either been blanked and/or the variable(s) description entires in- between the "" were blanked. So, once again I re-entered everything again in steps 1 -5 above.

Then, before re-starting X this time, I went to line #70 of /usr/local/PupClockset/func , and changed "grep..." to "grep -a....". I re-started X, crossed my fingers, and thankfully the clock came back & is appearing & working normally now. It seems my experience support what your suspicion thinks about recent editions of slacko 700: this has happened in no other builds I have done, not in Tahrs, Xenials, or dpup-stretch. It only has happened in slacko builds I have done the past 8-10 days, and it doesn't appear to matter if the slacko 700 builds are 32- and/or 64-bit.

Woof-CE overall Slacko builds are having some worrisome issues, almost turning me & others off to Slacko completely...for example, like this issue. Add in other issues like Xorg integration problems, kernel madness, and the mishandling of the 14.1 to 14.2 repos (a user cannot even install something simple like "conky' using the PPM without it failing and/or crashing that slacko OS you are on)....it is disappointing overall what has happened or is happening to Slacko woof-CE these past 12 months. Hope Micko can restore sanity & order to woof-CE Slacko builds and those builders who depend on Slacko to build their own OS variation. It's strange how now I consider the woof-CE builds of Tahrs and Xenials as the "stable" builds, and all "Slacko" builds as "unstable". Never ever thought I'd write THAT sentence..... :?

radky

#99 Post by radky »

Hi belham2,

Thanks for testing the fbpanel clock-fix, and for confirming the potential problems grep >= 2.21 may pose for some scripts in recent pups.

Some of the utlities in FbBox, such as PupClockset and PupSnap, parse special characters in various input strings, so the new 'grep' may fail in those scripts. The GNU grep developers are aware of potential issues with the new binary-detection heuristics of grep >= 2.21, but it seems there are no plans to change this behavior.

Consequently, for PupClockset and PupSnap, I will prepare updates that should (hopefully) provide compatibility with the new Slacko-7 series.

Thanks

radky

#100 Post by radky »