Can't add torrent when transmission is running (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
CGP

#21 Post by CGP »

OscarTalks,

I changed my /usr/local/bin/xdg-open to be just like yours (copied and pasted). No improvement. It works the same (not working).

I don't recall changing anything in my Tahr puppy that might have caused this problem. So, there must be many other Tahr puppy users out there with this problem.

Other ideas?

CGP

#22 Post by CGP »

I rebooted Puppy after changing the xdg-open and before testing.

OscarTalks

#23 Post by OscarTalks »

I think perhaps the xdg-open file is used by the Chromium browsers but not the Mozilla ones, not sure. Anyway I would leave it edited as I described.

I booted into a fresh frugal Tahrpup 6.0.5 and confirm that Palemoon gives the "protocol not recognised" message. Not sure why this happens when it is working in other Puppies.

Anyway there seems to be no way to manually add "magnet" to the preferences via the GUI. What happens is it gets added when needed (or is supposed to be) to a file called mimeTypes.rdf which is found inside the palemoon profile. This profile will normally be hidden in /root/.moonchild productions/* (click the eye in rox to reveal).

As a test you may wish to take my mimeTypes.rdf which already has magnet links associated with transmission. Substitute it into your palemoon profile in place of the one that is there and you will see that it appears in the preferences GUI and magnet links load the torrents into transmission by just clicking.
Attachments
mimeTypes.rdf.tar.gz
Try extracting this and putting it in your palemoon profile
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Oscar in England

CGP

#24 Post by CGP »

OscarTalks,

I tried your mimeTypes.rdf after renaming mine. No improvement.

Mine is in ~/moonchild productions/pale moon/4t310ksk.default/

I found that if I right click on 'Get This Torrent' and choose 'Send Link', a window titled 'Launch Application' comes up. I added /usr/bin/Transmission to it. I chose 'Transmission' and clicked 'OK'. Still it does not work.

CGP

#25 Post by CGP »

Sorry, Mine is in ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/4t310ksk.default/

OscarTalks

#26 Post by OscarTalks »

After you substitute my mimeTypes.rdf file you should be able to open the Preferences GUI in Palemoon and see that magnet links should already be set to be opened with transmission. (Beware of using a capital letter in the name if the program has lower case). Don't know why it was asking you to set it again.

When my one in Wheezy first worked it offered me transmission-gtk as the program name. Mine is transmission-gtk but transmission also works because it is a symlink to transmission-gtk. I changed the name to transmission because Tahrpup has transmission-qt but again also has a symlink named just transmission.

In my test in fresh frugal Tahrpup I am clicking magnet links in a web page. Make sure you are not clicking on (dot)torrent files. On the first run of transmission the torrent did not load because transmission has to do a couple of setup steps. After I closed it and clicked a second time it worked. Clicking further magnet links with transmission running added futher torrent downloads.
Oscar in England

CGP

#27 Post by CGP »

Yes, in my previous post I should have written 'transmission', not 'Transmission'.

Yes, with your mimeTypes.rdf, in Pale Moon's Preferences, magnets are set to be opened with transmission. But when I click on them, I get a window 'Open Torrent from a URL or ...'. I click Open and that window closes and the torrent is not added to Transmission.

Also, when I drag torrents into the Transmission window, the same thing happens.

I tried clicking on both the torrent link on the web page I stated above. And on the torrent on the page stated by Semme above. Have you tried those torrents?

No torrent has even ended up in the transmission window yet in Tahr pup.

What is a (dot)torrent file?

This setup is NOT working for me.

OscarTalks

#28 Post by OscarTalks »

The (dot)torrent files are the "old" method of initiating a torrent download. They are a small file containing the data to set up the download. The magnet links are supposed to be the superior method because they are just a URL rather than being a file. Torrent sites still seem to offer both methods.

I am running out of ideas to be honest. I tested in Tahrpup as a fresh install with no save-file and confirmed the situation, but when I applied the fixes it was working here although I was only able to test briefly. I can only think that some other changes you have applied to your setup are now stopping it from working for you. Perhaps someone else can chip in with some ideas and if I have any further brainwaves I will let you know.
Oscar in England

CGP

#29 Post by CGP »

I guess I will give up on Transmission and use Tixati for now.