What is the best MP4 Video editing software for linux?

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Retro1989

What is the best MP4 Video editing software for linux?

#1 Post by Retro1989 »

I have some videos shot from my smartphone that are in MP4 format that i want to be able to edit. I have tried apps on Android but I don't like the UI.
What are the best Linux video editing programs that I can cut, join and watermark MP4 720p HD video files?

Pelo

For Puppy Linux, Avidemux and Openshot.

#2 Post by Pelo »

For Puppy Linux, Avidemux and Openshot.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

My first reaction was that all you need is avidemux. It might depend on your exact requirements though - if the watermark needs to be "burned in" to the video then it is irrelevant that you're working with mp4 because you will be reencoding it anyway. But if implementing it as a subtitle is acceptable then you could do it all losslessly (and therefore very quickly) with something like mp4tools and mkvmerge. I guess avidemux could do it all losslessly too, but I thought I used it for trimming mpeg videos years ago, and the vido and audio got out of sync (maybe I just used ffmpeg though...)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mikeslr

How Crazy do you want to get?

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Retro1989,

There's Cinelerra for professionals. Pelo hates it, i've never used it, and you may have to first convert the mp4 --don't know-- before working with the clip under Cinelerra. But, if you can put up with a long learning curve, it's a powerful video editor. And it will run under most Puppies both 32 and 64 bit. You download the application from the publisher's cite, unpack it and link to its executable. But there are also, I think, versions packaged for Puppy.

Depending on what Puppy you are running, flowblade and shotcut are both full fledged video editors. I've built flowblade a couple of times and have provided instructions on how to. But I've never had the time to actually try to create a long video using it. Hence,

For most projects Avidemux for cutting/trimming and either openshot or kdenlive for combining should meet most needs. I think SFS packages of Kdenlive only run under Slackos (before the 6 series) and Lupu.

Browse thru this SubForum for information regarding the above video editors, especially as to what Puppies they will run under. Or use the Wellminded Search, http://wellminded.net63.net/ plugging in the name of the application and your Puppy as search terms.

mikesLr

Pelo

My comments are a result of my unsuccesful tries

#5 Post by Pelo »

I don't hate cinelerra ! i tried it, and that makes the difference. then you understand why cinelerra does not fit our needs, Cinellera just can read our videos, but we have lot of video players. The goal is to cut, stick, audio comments, and some titles to adds, not to read only.
Most commons extensions as mp4, mpeg, avi cannot be edited. What i hate is that cinelerra is provided by Puppy as an application for Puppy, and that is not the case.
I shall do te same comments for 'Lives', you will edit each frame of your video; Ok, that could be usefull for our professional users
My comments are a result of my unsuccesful tries, that does not mean i use the apps correctly. perhaps i am wrong.
Avidemux will satisfy most of you. Its a tiny but efficient video editor. People who fail using Avidemux will fail to edit something with cinelerra, i bet on it.
pets avidemux here