GAdmin OpenVPN Client

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
robwoj44

GAdmin OpenVPN Client

#1 Post by robwoj44 »

http://gadmintools.flippedweb.com/index ... &Itemid=40
GAdmin-OpenVPN-Client is an easy to use frontend for the OpenVPN client. It handles multiple connections and can import exported connection setup packages from the GADMIN-OpenVPN-Server.

The dependencies:
Of course OpenVPN client from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 06&t=30390
Attachments
gadmin-openvpn-client-0.1.1-i486.pet
Gadmin OpenVPN client
(54.45 KiB) Downloaded 2025 times

eowens2

Trouble with Gadmin OpenVPN Client

#2 Post by eowens2 »

Is anyone using GAdmin OpenVPN Client to connect to a commercial VPN server such as StrongVPN?

I have been trying to connect to StrongVPN using GAdmin-OpenVPN-Client, but the program seems to have a predilection to connect to GAdmin_OpenVPN-Server rather than alternate servers.

After manually inputting server address and port number, I was able to import Cert, Ca.cert, Key and TA.key files as supplied to me by StrongVPN.

But when I try to activate the connection, I get the error message "Import server certificates for the client settings first". When I look at the client configuration file, the imported values seem to be present.

I am able to connect to StrongVPN with network-manager-openvpn under Ubuntu, but I would rather use Puppy! I note that network-manager-openvpn_0.8 and network-manager-openvpn-genome_0.8 are listed in the ubuntu-lucid-universe repository in PPM. Will these work in Puppy with a menu entry and GUI?

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

samsara

#3 Post by samsara »

I am having trouble getting the GAdmin OpenVPN Client to work for me. I'm trying to import an .ovpn file and get the following error: "Error: Import package should be a compressed .tar.gz package."

Packaging the .ovpn file into a tar.gz yields no better result. ("Error: Unpacking client setup package has failed.") I'm not overly savvy with Puppy or Linux in general, and am at a loss here. Anyone have any ideas? I can supply whatever further information is needed.

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

What Puppy and what Gadmin version?

I use openvpn sometimes but just run it from command line.
I decided to take a look at Gadmin openvpn client just out of curiosity. I compiled version 0.1.9 in Wheezy and it does have 2 import buttons, one is for .tar.gz config bundles and the other is for importing .ovpn configuration files.

To be honest though I found that I did have to fiddle around a bit and edit a couple of things to get it to work (with a vpnbook .ovpn file). The .ovpn files from vpngate.net load more easily but these do not require username and password. Once you get it configured you can just open it and activate your VPN.
Attachments
gadmin-openvpn-client-0.1.9-i486-wz.pet
Compiled in Wheezy, FOR TESTING ONLY
(54.28 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
gadmin-openvpn2.jpg
Import a tarball OR a .ovpn configuration file in version 0.1.9
(24.66 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
gadmin-openvpn1.jpg
Gadmin-OpenVPN-client working in Wheezy
(61.58 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
Oscar in England

samsara

#5 Post by samsara »

Tahr Puppy 6.0.5, and Gadmin OpenVPN Client 0.1.1 (though it was installed from Package Manager, which lists 0.1.2). Using most programs from the command line is beyond my ken, so I pretty much need a GUI.

I only see one import button, which gives the aforementioned errors. When clicking the Help button I see this tidbit "Click the import button to import a setup package that was previously exported from gadmin-openvpn-server." I installed that and poked around and that doesn't seem any more straightforward.

I then installed the .pet you posted and can't even get that version to load.

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

I tested the .pet in a fresh TahrPup 6.0.5 and it installed and ran fine so you may need to make sure the other versions have been uninstalled first.

As I said though, getting it set up was not straight forward. Maybe there is a simple "click and go" method, but if so I did not discover it. It does import the .ovpn file but then sets about altering it if you use the settings in the GUI. I found that I had to study error messages and manually edit things either in the gui or in the config directory which is in /etc/gadmin-openvpn/client and at one point I had to create a directory named "tmp" in there because it complained that this was not found. Be aware also that it might write a file to /etc/init.d which starts it at boot so if it is not configured correctly you might have no internet connection on startup. You can disable this in boot manager services tab.

I do have it working though. All I really want to be able to do is click in and out of VPN and it does that. My alternative method now though is to have 2 menu entries, VPN Start and VPN Stop, with scripts which activate and deactivate OpenVPN and give me notifications. Then gadmin is not required at all.
Oscar in England