DebianDog HowTo thread

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rufwoof

#81 Post by rufwoof »

This is the flush2disk that I currently use.

Uses dialog so not tied into gtk2 or gtk3 or whatever (dialog is more generic, but not as pretty).
Attachments
flush2disk.gz
remove fake .gz suffix and install to /usr/local/bin and make executable
(9.86 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

rufwoof

#82 Post by rufwoof »

Coincidental! A day later and Debian have updated the kernel (I noticed this morning after booting frugally and running apt-get update; apt-get upgrade). Rebooted without saving. Booted full read/write style and applied the updates before rebooting back into frugal again.

Now :
user@debian:~$ uname -a
Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 (2016-10-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Its a security fix/update

https://www.debian.org/security/2016/dsa-3696

Code: Select all

Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux kernel that may lead to a privilege escalation, denial of service or information leaks.

CVE-2015-8956 It was discovered that missing input sanitising in RFCOMM Bluetooth socket handling may result in denial of service or information leak.

CVE-2016-5195 It was discovered that a race condition in the memory management code can be used for local privilege escalation.

CVE-2016-7042 Ondrej Kozina discovered that incorrect buffer allocation in the proc_keys_show() function may result in local denial of service.

CVE-2016-7425 Marco Grassi discovered a buffer overflow in the arcmsr SCSI driver which may result in local denial of service, or potentially, arbitrary code execution.

Additionally this update fixes a regression introduced in DSA-3616-1 causing iptables performance issues (cf. Debian Bug #831014).
CVE-2016-5195 fixes the "Dirty COW" vulnerability (researchers have discovered attack code that indicates the Dirty COW vulnerability is being actively exploited in the wild) which has been present in the Linux kernel since version 2.6.22 in 2007, and is also believed to be present in Android http://thehackernews.com/2016/10/linux- ... ploit.html

mikeslr

USB-Key Frugal Install with Grub4Dos from a Linux OS

#83 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Edit: This post has been substantially edited in response to rcrsn51’s advice and to take advantage of the package fredx181 provided. See the next couple of posts. The attached weeinst4XenialDog64.tar.gz package is identical to the package fredx181 provided on the dCoreDog thread, except that I’ve edited the included menu.lst to use with XenialDog64, and the readme file to discuss some possible considerations.

Perhaps other Linux bootloaders can manage a Frugal Install to a USB-Key. But I’m familiar with booting the DebianDogs and Puppies using grub4dos, and grub4dos poses a challenge when running another Linux. It isn’t to be found on their Repositories.

Either the attached weeinst4XenialDog64.tar.gz or fred’s package can be used with other DebianDog and most Puppies, and applied to Hard-drives. Such usage is explained after the recipe for installing XenialDog64 to a USB-Key.

The following is based on my experience using Peppermint Linux. My memory is except for using firefox to download files, everything else had to be done as root/Administrator. [As I had previously preformed steps 1 thru 11 running Peppermint, the "weeinst..." package was tested by deleting gldr from the Key, then copying weeinst’s included files to it and performing Step 13 below].

Running peppermint linux, or any Ubuntu or debian [adjust as needed for your Linux of Choice]

1. Open synaptic and install gparted.
2. Plug in the USB-Key and start gparted.
3. Format the Key to Ext3 (or 4 and probably not 2). [2 is more easily corrupted, and 4 may be overkill]. Exit gparted.
4. Using your web-browser (peppermint’s default is firefox) download the attached weeinst4XenialDog.tar.gz. [By default under peppermint, firefox downloads stuff to your Downloads folder. That location will be assumed in the following Steps].
5. Using your web-browser download XenialDog64’s ISO.
6. Open the Linux Archive Manager, Select XenialDog64’s ISO, and extract the folder named casper to the Download folder.
7. Open the Linux Archive Manager, select weeinst4XenialDog64.tar.gz, and extract all the following files: grldr, menu.lst, readme, weeinst, wee.mbr. [Depending on your Archiver, these files may appear in the Download folder itself, or in a folder named weeinst4XenialDog64xxx in the Download folder].
8. Open the readme file and the menu.lst in a text editor and read them. Decide if you want to continue and/or make any changes to menu.lst. Make any such changes.
9. Close any “user
Attachments
weeinst4XenialDog64.tar.gz
Package to install mbr, grldr and menu.lst with instructions. See included readme and above to use with other Dogs and Puppies
(136.62 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 01:19, edited 13 times in total.

fredx181

#84 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Mike,

Just one other thing is also required and you didn't mention (but I may be wrong or have missed something):
The MBR needs to be installed also, otherwise it won't boot.
Here's a simple way that does it all :
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 504#947504
(but it has dcore-xenial entry in included menu.lst, just replace that by any other, DebianDog, Xenialdog, Puppy etc..)

Fred

mikeslr

Not sure MBR was necessary

#85 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks fred,

I'm not sure installation of mbr is necessary. My recipe left out trial and error steps I thought unnecessary. What actually happened was that when I opened my browser to the 'Lin n' Win' site (for the first time in years) I discovered it now offered instructions for Windows 7. Figuring those might use a more recent version of grldr, I followed them to the page which offered grldr for Windows 7. On that page was also a link to download grldr.mbr. So I downloaded and copied both to the root of the USB-Key,

That, however, didn't produce a bootable key, So IIRC, I ran gparted again and started from scratch resulting in the recipe in the previous post. But, maybe I didn't run gparted and only installed grldr from the XP instruction page.

Will examine the key to see if mbr is present. But, even if it isn't, the addition of mbr can't hurt and may be necessary for some computers.

Edit: A visual examination did not disclose grldr.mbr's presence. The Key, however, had originally been factory set as Fat32 and bootable. Examination of Key visually and via pfind shows nothing concerning it. But, that would be expected if mbr exists at the machine level. See the following posts, especially rcrsn51's.

As soon as I can, I'll revise my "recipe" to make use of the package fredx181 provided on the dcore thread.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 16:40, edited 2 times in total.

rufwoof

#86 Post by rufwoof »

I have managed to install grub4dosconfig from the DebianDog repository into a purer Debian installation and IIRC it worked other than leaving some kind of dialog (likely because of the lack of a required interface library (again IIRC dialog had been installed, so it wasn't that)). Not far off perhaps from being apt2sfs'd but using a more generic grub4dosconfig - so others could just activate it as a sfs in their Linux.

Currently I've been trying to get a image of a small usb boot loader that's grub4dos based. i.e. usb with grub4dos mbr installed, menu.lst, grldr ... and a initrd.img and vmlinuz of my choosing (in particular a initrd that's been modified to load up NTFS in read/write mode).

So far it works, but I used a 16GB USB to create a 64MB USB partition and dd copying that and dd writing back again results in 2 partitions/USB drives being shown (sdb1 and sdb2 of which sdb2 is inaccessible). Perhaps because I used dd of 80MB (bs=1M count=80) to copy the image.

What I'm looking at is to have a small (64MB) bootable USB image that can be downloaded and written to a USB, along with a main file filesystem (in my case a debian livecd type system single file) that can be downloaded onto either a ext or ntfs partition ... that the usb boots ... that provides two boot choices of either a read only session (no changes preserved), or a read/write session (all changes preserved). Other than the 2 usb partitions it seems to be working ok at present. Single large file of main filesystem, that can be moved between ext and ntfs and still boots ok. As and when I get that sorted that would be yet another method to more generally get a copy of a grub4dos type bootloader ... i.e. perhaps via a grub4dos sfs, or a small usb image.

rcrsn51

#87 Post by rcrsn51 »

fredx181 wrote:The MBR needs to be installed also, otherwise it won't boot.
Exactly. All GRUB bootloader variants have two parts. Stage1 is the boot code written into the Master Boot Record at the start of the drive. This can be done various ways - dd, bootlace.com, etc. It over-writes the standard MS-DOS boot code.

Stage2 is the set of auxiliary boot files. In Grub4Dos, that's grldr and menu.lst.

Lin'nWin had an alternative. It kept the MS-DOS boot code, but modified the Windows "stage2" configuration to load grldr.

If your flash drive already has the Grub4Dos stage1 on its MBR from a previous setup, then you can get it to boot from a Debian setup, if you provide grldr. If the drive still contains the MS-DOS code in its MBR, it won't boot.

mcewanw

#88 Post by mcewanw »

Note to forum moderator.

This thread should remain unlocked since it is the main HowTo resource for the DebianDog/XenialDog projects and is incomplete awaiting new additions.

As far as Toni's (saintless) request to delete his account on Puppy Linux: Clearly Toni is under stress and it would be completely unfair and wrong and ridiculous to delete the Puppy login account of the main creator of the original DebianDog project at this time. It would frankly be disgraceful for any forum moderator to do that (in the Dog world that would be like deleting the login account of BarryK).

William
github mcewanw

backi

#89 Post by backi »

Hi mcewanw !
Clearly Toni is under stress and it would be completely unfair and wrong and ridiculous to delete the Puppy login account of the main creator of the original DebianDog project at this time. It would frankly be disgraceful for any forum moderator to do that (in the Dog world that would be like deleting the login account of BarryK)
I am glad about your wise interference ( send from heaven? ) once more......so i will hereby join your request/petition .

Greetings !
Last edited by backi on Sun 18 Jun 2017, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#90 Post by fredx181 »

Note to forum moderator.

This thread should remain unlocked since it is the main HowTo resource for the DebianDog/XenialDog projects and is incomplete awaiting new additions.

As far as Toni's (saintless) request to delete his account on Puppy Linux: Clearly Toni is under stress and it would be completely unfair and wrong and ridiculous to delete the Puppy login account of the main creator of the original DebianDog project at this time. It would frankly be disgraceful for any forum moderator to do that (in the Dog world that would be like deleting the login account of BarryK).

William
+1

Fred

backi

#91 Post by backi »

Have to admit.....having a bad conscience....i am sorry Toni.......

I am just a funny guy ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwfZXxRe9eQ

backi

#92 Post by backi »

Could be Off-topic but somehow related to Debian (9)
Found this comment about Debian 9 on Distrowatch Readers Comment
21 • Debian 9 bugged (by LorenzoC on 2017-06-19 16:17:38 GMT from Italy)
I tried to upgrade from Debian 8 and making a "clean" install, there are tons of bugs in Debian 9, like USB dongles not working while the kernel spits cryptic and useless errors, CDs that cannot be unmounted either accessed, weird Networkmanager behavior and so on.

So much for an "extra-stable" distro, years of development and testing for this?.
Regression translates in depression.
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... 9#comments

mcewanw

#93 Post by mcewanw »

mcewanw wrote:
backi wrote:Could be Off-topic but somehow related to Debian (9)
Found this comment about Debian 9 on Distrowatch Readers Comment
21 • Debian 9 bugged (by LorenzoC on 2017-06-19 16:17:38 GMT from Italy)
I tried to upgrade from Debian 8 and making a "clean" install, there are tons of bugs in Debian 9, like USB dongles not working while the kernel spits cryptic and useless errors, CDs that cannot be unmounted either accessed, weird Networkmanager behavior and so on.

So much for an "extra-stable" distro, years of development and testing for this?.
Regression translates in depression.
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... 9#comments
Yeah, slightly off-topic I suppose, but we do need a thread somewhere, I feel, to allow the deb/Ubuntu dogs some presence here - the github website is unlikely to create much discussion on it's own, I think. Without a continuing active presence on the projects subtopic area the dogs will gradually drop from view, notice, and interest. I don't want to open a new thread myself but someone should consider that as a continued forum presence actively pointing to the off-forum dog website. The dogs are all reasonably stable as is but discussions on maintenance/future upgrades continue to be important even if no new isos are planned.

William

EDIT: post was previously sent via a small screen android and I made a hash of the quote tags...
github mcewanw

backi

#94 Post by backi »

Hi !

Regarding " bad news " about Debian 9 Stretch....seems i became victim of some false information.

Belham2 wrote :
Ignore those posts from the Fedora and OpenSUSE gang (I recognize a couple).....they always do that (leave nasty comments) every time Debian does something new. And what's even funnier: like Fedora and OpenSUSE have never had problems---good Lord, they both are magnitudes worse (even to this day) than what Debian does and is doing
Was not aware about those nasty games.....good to know.
Going to stop spreading these " bad news " about Debian 9 Stretch.
But my main intention was to keep the discussion going on this thread .

Greetings !

fredx181

#95 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:.....
Without a continuing active presence on the projects subtopic area the dogs will gradually drop from view, notice, and interest. I don't want to open a new thread myself but someone should consider that as a continued forum presence actively pointing to the off-forum dog website. The dogs are all reasonably stable as is but discussions on maintenance/future upgrades continue to be important even if no new isos are planned.
I agree and me neither want to open such a new thread, but let's keep this thread only for how-to purpose.

Fred

backi

#96 Post by backi »

Hi fred !

Did you remove the comment function on the github Xenial Dog Forum ? .....can`t get access to it ......disqus does not appear any longer for me .

fredx181

#97 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi fred !

Did you remove the comment function on the github Xenial Dog Forum ? .....can`t get access to it ......disqus does not appear any longer for me .
Yes, I did remove, still contemplating about what or how to do.

Fred

backi

#98 Post by backi »

Hi !
Fred wrote :

.....I think also that the 'Dogs' belongs on murga-linux.
Yes i agree .....this github place for a forum is somehow too far out in the woods . Feel not comfortable with it......will there ever anybody comes along ?

" Everybody " knows you on Murga and " they " all hope and want to see you back again on Murga .
Just relax and " go with the flow "....

Meanwhile maybe as a place to meet and discuss should be on " DebianDog How to Thread " .
Sure DebianDog is not Xenial Dog . How to solve this conflict/dilemma ?........there is some attempt from pelo to keep the Xenial Topic going ...maybe a bit clumsy......but obviously there is some demand .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110813

belham2

#99 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why there's such a big difference in the amount of RAM being shown used between all types dogs and forms of puppies?

Is this the right thread to ask this??

Oh, wait,..............SNAP!..........my bad.

P.S. Why is there always some sort of drama going on in Dog land? In this case, Pelo (and others) are dead right. All forms of Dogs can stay on Murga if they like. No one (are they??) is asking anybody to leave. Plus, places like Github can be a complementary thing, no?? Love, hugs and kisses to everyone here. :wink:

backi

#100 Post by backi »

Hi belham ( you are quite a tricky devil ) and everybody !

mcewnw aka " The Guardian Angel of the Hidden or maybe even Lost Treasure "
aka " The Good Shepard of the Lost and Lonely Herd " wrote :
we do need a thread somewhere, I feel, to allow the deb/Ubuntu dogs some presence here - the github website is unlikely to create much discussion on it's own, I think. Without a continuing active presence on the projects subtopic area the dogs will gradually drop from view, notice, and interest. I don't want to open a new thread myself but someone should consider that as a continued forum presence actively pointing to the off-forum dog website. The dogs are all reasonably stable as is but discussions on maintenance/future upgrades continue to be important even if no new isos are planned.
I myself even would go one radical step further ......
After contemplating a while ....My appeal to fred would be :
just open the Xenial Dog Thread again .
You started it ,you closed it.... so you could just open it again......
There are a lot of arguments for doing so (don`t want to go into detail......to lazy )..... There is , in my humble opinion, not one good reason to keep it closed .
This is your thread why doing a new one ....starting all over again does not make any sense .....
Can understand ......you needed some break .
But why to abandon so much good quality work , just because of feeling desperate for awhile .
Bad mood did come and bad mood did go......but the quality work on all those thread still remains .....so for heavens sake .......why to wreck it . Hope you are feeling better now .

So my plea to Mr. Fred is.... (i think to speak also for the peoples voice ) :

Mr. Fred, open this gate !
Mr. Fred, tear down this wall!
Mr Fred.... open the Xenial Dog thread again!

Be aware Mr.Fred ......if you don`t .... i am going to do some crowd-funding to pay for a contract killer .

Because " Happiness is a warm Gun "
https://www.vidio.com/watch/68703-the-b ... gun-lyrics

For Debian Dog i am quite clueless .It is Toni`s thread .
Toni did not close this thread and that`s O.K .
No reason to complain .