Can't use my HP Laserjet Pro 200. How to update hplip?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
LeithR

Can't use my HP Laserjet Pro 200. How to update hplip?

#1 Post by LeithR »

Is there a required process to follow when upgrading from an older version of hplip to a newer version or is it as simple as uploading the new version?

This is what I have done but I still can't find the printer (HP Laserjet pro 200 NW276) mentioned in the CUPS drop down during set up. According to the hplip opensources supported devices page I need a minimum of hplip 3.12.9 to set up this printer. I have loaded hplip_printer-3.16.5.pet.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

You need to clarify some things first.

1. Did you get your Deskjet printer working with hplip_print-3.16.5.pet? You never confirmed this. What about the scanner?

2. What is the EXACT model name of the Laserjet? I cannot find a match to the name you provided above.

3. What does this have to do with updating HPLIP?

4. What Puppy version are you using?

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

LeithR:

Your model number listed here DOES NOT match the official hp models listed here.

This is a common problem with hp printers... the name on the printer and/or box DOES NOT match the actual printer name used by hp. The nearest solution is

HP Laserjet Pro 200 MFP M276nw

IMHO look for this listing in the provided hplip app.
Foomatic zjs may help with printing and XSANE may help with the scanner. ABSOLUTELY NO PROMISES MADE.

jusst my humble best guesses considering the fraction of input needed

8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

LeithR

#4 Post by LeithR »

rcrsn51 wrote:You need to clarify some things first.

1. Did you get your Deskjet printer working with hplip_print-3.16.5.pet? You never confirmed this. What about the scanner?

2. What is the EXACT model name of the Laserjet? I cannot find a match to the name you provided above.

3. What does this have to do with updating HPLIP?

4. What Puppy version are you using?

1. No didn't get either the deskjet (2132) or the lazerjet (pro200 NW276) working.
2. the exact name as it appears on the manual is - HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276nw
3. Originally I loaded hplip_print- 3.14.10 and hplip_scan-3.14.10.pet and couldn't get anywhere with those so I loaded up hplip_print-3.16.5.pet and the scan equivalent. I did this without first removing the 3.14.10 versions. I then started to try and rationalize what I was seeing on screen to make sense of it, hence the question.
4. I am using Slacko 6.3.0

8Geee,
Thanks, Yes I've found that the printer names used often vary from one HP source to another. When looking through the drop down in CUPS the listing for the deskjets jumps from the 2020 series to the 2500 series.
Its pretty confusing!

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

LeithR wrote:1. No didn't get the deskjet (2132) working.
Then you need to deal with the simpler printer first. Recent Slackos are missing components like libjpeg7 that are needed by various print/scan drivers. I have attached a PET below. Once you have the Deskjet working, we can look at the Laserjet. It will be more complicated.
Attachments
libjpeg_fix-7.pet
(129.06 KiB) Downloaded 329 times

LeithR

#6 Post by LeithR »

Many thanks for this, The laptop that needs fixing is in our Men's Shed. I'll be visiting tomorrow so will apply the fix and try again.

I'll let you know the outcome.

p.s. They have the Men's Shed movement in Canada http://menssheds.ca/ worth a look.

LeithR

#7 Post by LeithR »

I loaded libjpeg_fix-7.pet onto the machine, restarted the laptop and checked to see if I needed to reload hplip_print-3.16.5.pet (no) then fired up CUPS (Version 1.5.4) and tried to set up the printer. Its still not showing up on the drop down list so no luck.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you talking about the Deskjet or the Laserjet?

A USB printer that is auto-detected will appear at the top of the Models list.

LeithR

#9 Post by LeithR »

Sorry,
Should have been clearer, I was talking about the deskjet.

I'll check again when I'm in the shed on Monday
Last edited by LeithR on Fri 31 Mar 2017, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

I set up Slacko630 with the two PETS and installed my own Deskjet. Your printer is absolutely, positively in the list as a 2130 series.

In your case, it will be auto-detected and put at the top of the list. It can be easy to miss if you don't look there first.

8Geee

#11 Post by 8Geee »

Just a reminder to plug-in the USB FIRST, then turn the power button ON.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

LeithR

#12 Post by LeithR »

Well, I tried again today, found the Deskjet 2132 printer details of the printer showing at the top of the drop down list as you said it would. Tried printing something, even got the splash screen saying that it was printing but no print showed up.

This pisser was that my pal was able to set up his windows machine connection to the printer without any problems - Grrrrr! Hate it when Windoze does better than Puppy.

I'm guessing that there is still something missing.

8Geee,
yes I did that, printer connected to laptop, switched on printer then switched on laptop.

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

Run the command "cancel -a" to clean out any print jobs from your previous setups that may be blocking the system.

Run "ldd /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups | grep not". Does it report any missing libraries, particularly libjpeg7? If it's missing, you forgot to install the patch PET.

Of course a Windows install will work - HP supplies a CD especially for Windows. But you should check how much extra garbage came with the install and whether it phones home to HP.

If you were running a big-boy Linux, this would also be easy because it would have full HPLIP on-board.

LeithR

#14 Post by LeithR »

Entered those commands, no result from the cancel command and received a "no such file or Directory" msge from the second command.

I checked in the folder usr/lib/cups/filter and hpcups is there[/img]

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

Do it this way:

1. Go into the folder /usr/lib/cups/filter
2. Open a terminal
3. Type: ldd hpcups
4. Do any items show "not found"?

It it's libjpeg.so.7, install the attached PET.
Attachments
libjpeg_fix-7.1.pet
(159.66 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

LeithR

#16 Post by LeithR »

Hi there rcrsn51,
Interesting, I did as you suggest above and went into /usr/lib/cups/filter, opened a a terminal and entered ldd hpcups. I got no response.

So I tried going into the same directory by entering cd /usr, cd /lib etc...into the terminal, the result was a bash msge stating that there was "no such file or directory" after having entered cd /cups into terminal.

I didn't want to give up at this stage so I loaded libjpeg_fix-7.1.pet anyway. It worked, I got a test page printed!

Thanks for your efforts.

Now to try and get the HP Laserjet pro 200 M276NW working. You said it was considerably more complex than the Deskjet, I'm up for it.

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's good news. I suspect that you never installed the libjpeg7 patch PET the first time.

Regarding running the commands. You must open the terminal INSIDE the target folder by pressing the backtick key (the lower-case ~ key).

Here are the steps for your Laserjet. Let's hope that it goes more smoothly.

It looks like your printer is Postscript-capable. HPLIP handles Postscript printers separately - that's why they don't appear in the standard CUPS model list. A generic Postscript printer should be easy to install, but HP has added some enterprise features that require Python.

1. Connect the unit directly by USB. Once it's installed, we can look at networking.

2. Some Puppies, like Tahrpup, already have basic Python. Otherwise, get it here.

3. Install the http://www.mediafire.com/file/snqps3g5p ... 3.16.5.pet.

4. Install the hplip_scan-3.16.5.pet from the download link in How to Install your Printer in Puppy (if you have not already). You don't need hplip_print for Postscript printers.

5. For Slacko, install the libjpeg_fix-7.1.pet, just to be safe.

6. Install the hplip_plugins-3.16.5.pet attached below.

7. Extract and copy the attached PPD file to /usr/share/cups/model.

8. Run the CUPS wizard. Your printer may be listed as an "HP LaserJet 200 color MFP M276 Postscript", NOT as a "Laserjet Pro".
Attachments
hplip_plugins-3.16.5.pet
(121.05 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
hp-laserjet_200_colormfp_m276-ps.ppd.gz
(19.72 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

LeithR

#18 Post by LeithR »

All went well until step 6 I got an Error msg - hplip_plugins-3.15.5.pet Failed to install.

Continued on with step 7 and installed the PPD file into /usr/share/cups/model.

Went back to step 6 and tried to install hplip_plugins-3.1.5.pet again without success.

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

It works for me. Download it again.

LeithR

#20 Post by LeithR »

That was the problem, now successfully installed.

What next?

When I try adding a printer in CUPS the printer doesn't seem to show up on the list.