pale moon SSE with wary 5.1.2

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sindi

pale moon SSE with wary 5.1.2

#1 Post by sindi »

Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203 (Windows 2000/ME)
Enviable multimedia. Enjoy a large working area with colorful detail on the 13.3" diagonal, TFT active-matrix display.

800MHz Celeron (upgradeable to 1GHz) Pentium III with SSE (no SSE2) on which I hoped to test out the SSE Palemoon.
Dead floppy drive and right Alt key. Good screen and keyboard.

Added 2x256MB PC133 memory . (It came with 128MB PC100).
Added a 10GB hard drive with bad boot sector - grub4dos does not care.

Lupu - no video (blank screen, cannot exit X - will try nox and probe)
My notes say only wary worked on here previously. (Maybe also puppy 4).

Wary 5.5 works except no sound.
Wary 5.1.2 works including sound (loud, stereo). This multimedia laptop has good speakers and external CD controls.

Added a NETGEAR wifi card (pcmcia). Laptop comes with built-in modem and a large very detailed booklet explaining how to use modems.

Upgraded glibc to 2.11. Added dbus-glib (individual two libraries, then later the whole Wary package). Needed by Firefox 17.

Smtube works (needed the glibc upgrade). At 360p (mplayer) sound a bit out of sync.
Thumbnails are not shown (same in Precise puppy).

Lynx, Firefox 17 and 29, and Opera 12 work.

Firefox 45 ESR and Pale Moon both complain:

process 16608: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to pen "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id". No such file or directory.
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.

Seamonkey 24.6 had a problem and crashed.
Couldn't create some sort of dump, also had the dbus problem.

The laptop video is peculiar. With Wary I cannot change vts (ctrl-alt-f2 or chvt 2).

It will not reboot (just power off) and the video gets very strange while powering off (large yellow words).

Would a later libdbus help? An older Pale Moon?

The only other PIII I have tested on works with lupu2016 (and tahr), with palemoon SSE by Walter. I can test it with Wary.

The only other laptop I tested with Wary was MMX not SSE.

watchdog

Re: pale moon SSE with wary 5.1.2

#2 Post by watchdog »

sindi wrote: Firefox 45 ESR and Pale Moon both complain:

process 16608: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to pen "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id". No such file or directory.
Copy /var/lib/dbus/machine-id in that location from another working puppy. Precise for example: machine-id is always the same but sometimes it does not get saved.

sindi

pale moon SSE not working on Toshiba 1805-S203

#3 Post by sindi »

Pale Moon SSE 27.2 works fine on a 2001 DELL Inspiron 8100 with Wary 5.5 (glibc 2.11 update and libdbus).
It does NOT work with Wary 5.1.2 or Wary 5.5 on Toshiba Satellite 1805-S203 from about 2000.
The problem is therefore specific to the hardware.

Xvesa does not work on here (Puppy even tells me so).

To get Xorg working I had to boot pfix=nox then run Xorgwizard and let
it probe. (Otherwise it automatically boots to a black screen).

It has Trident video but choosing Trident did not work.
Trident (Ali) sound worked in both versions of wary.

I cannot switch to a vt on the Toshiba in Wary but I can on the Dell.

Is there a Pale Moon version as old as Firefox 29 (which does work with Wary on the Toshiba)?
What Firefox version between 29 and 45 may have changed dbus requirements?

Next PIII (900MHz Toshiba) needs DC jack resoldered before testing.
I recall it also had screwy video.

sindi

Re: pale moon SSE with wary 5.1.2

#4 Post by sindi »

[quote="watchdog"][quote="sindi"]
Firefox 45 ESR and Pale Moon both complain:

[/quote]

Copy /var/lib/dbus/machine-id in that location from another working puppy. Precise for example: machine-id is always the same but sometimes it does not get saved.[/quote]

I copied it from lupu 2016 (pfix=nox) and Pale Moon now works!!!
(I will also try Firefox 45 ESR and Seamonkey). Many thanks.

Today I tested a 900MHz year-2000 Toshiba Satellite 3000-S353, 900MHz, also takes PC100 or PC133 RAM (I added 2x256MB). Ctrl-Alt does not work but chvt does, and Ctrl-^ and Alt-F1 both work. Ctrl-C does not work but Ctrl-A S D etc work and c works. Right Alt F1 works on both. Strange keyboard.

Lupu2016 Xorg works, as does Pale Moon, and the onboard mini-PCI (identifies as pcmcia) orinoco_cs wireless card, and sound (but the speakers are soft and rattly). In Wary and I think Lucid 5.2.5 the card does not work. So far Lucid 2016 has worked everywhere except the one Toshiba where Xorg drew a blank (literally), and on Pentium II's (Wary works, as does mplayer with movgrab).

I am posting from the 800MHz Toshiba with Pale Moon SSE 27.2.0 - thanks again Walter and Watchdog. Three usable P-IIIs.

The first Toshiba has a tendency to suddenly freeze up and nothing works, but it starts up okay. This one suddenly froze but the mouse cursor moves and it will not go on again. Probably overheated. We can try removing dust or replacing heatsink grease

To fix a continuous beeping noise during boot disable low battery warning in BIOS.

Very odd phenomenon - grub4 dos draws itself extremely slowly but puppy works at normal speed. I was going to test memory but it froze up.

SMtube worked for some videos on the 800MHz machine at 360p mp4, but on others with a lot of movement the sound went out of sync. (I could try slowing down mplayer or making other adjustments to sync it better). I did not try html5 or flash video at any resolution. 240p and 360p flv (in settings) both look like 144p - a smartphone can do better. Smtube 480p on other laptops displays at 240p. Maybe Youtube does not provide the selected resolutions/formats.

I can find homes for any laptops that will play youtube and browse. We distribute surplus bread - it can be bread and internet instead of bread and circuses. Under 800MHz still works for email, and under 500MHz for old DOS games from the 80s.

I should add a real mouse. Eraser-head mice are hard to aim.

sindi

Mplayer sound out of sync on 17 year old Toshiba laptop

#5 Post by sindi »

Smtube works on the 800MHz Toshiba laptop in X (mplayer with xv), or movgrab/mplayer with (X11) or without X (fbdev)
but sound gets increasingly ahead of video. I tried various suggestions to delay the sound and none worked.
The CPU is not stressed (mplayer around 10% usage for 360p).

I presume it is a software problem related to sound and/or video chip. Trident/Ali.

Smtube provides 144p or 360p but not 240p or 480p (they come out as 144p). Movgrab can download all the formats.
While downloading you can start mplayer. Movgrab can pipe to mplayer2 (in Tahr) but not to Lupu's mplayer.
I was unable to compile mplayer2 (or a recent mplayer) for Lupu.

I have set up several laptops slower than this for playing youtube with movgrab (or youtube-dl or gtk-youtube-viewer).
No audio lag even at 233MHz (240p or 144p).

The odd key behaviors on both Toshibas fixed themselves. Shift-C, Ctrl-Alt-F2 work now.

If I try to change the speed of a Youtube video in Pale Moon (html5) it segfaults. Options are 25 50 75%

[ slows down mplayer 10%, which makes voices a bit deeper but they are still out of sync.

HTML5 and Flash on the 900MHz Toshiba both sent cpu usage up to around 100% and video was extremely jerky but smtube works fine.

Robert123

#6 Post by Robert123 »

Watchdog has made Palemoon .pets for Wary
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=375
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

sindi

Watchdog's tweaked Pale Moon pets for older puppies

#7 Post by sindi »

Thanks for the reminder about Watchdog's tweaked pets. He says they even work with Puppy 4.3.1, by redirecting the
browser to use glibc 2.1.8 (from Tahr) and a recent libstdc++.

But Walter's SSE Pale Moon, recent versions of which he compiled to be Lupu compatible, also work with Wary (after glibc
2.11 update. So does the official SSE2 Pale Moon (on Pentium 4), which Walter was told would, starting with 27.1, be
compiled to require libraries too new even for Tahr. The SSE version appears to work just as well/fast as SSE2 for html5
youtube, and I read that Flash uses the cpu not the gpu. Has anyone else compared the two?

Pale Moon in Puppy 4.3.1 is a real bonus. Even with added libraries Firefox stopped working after version 17.
I have not tried glibc 2.11 in Puppy 4.

sindi

Re: Pale Moon for Puppy 4 - Walter's SSE version works!

#8 Post by sindi »

[quote="sindi"]
Pale Moon in Puppy 4.3.1 is a real bonus. Even with added libraries Firefox stopped working after version 17.
I have not tried glibc 2.11 in Puppy 4.[/quote]

I forgot that I HAD updated puppy 4 (4.3.1 and pulp01 - 4.1.2) to glibc 2.11 (from 2.6.1).

Firefox 17 requires libdbus and libdbus-glib. Firefox 45 and Seamonkey 2.46 will not work in puppy 4.3.1 even with those added libraries. libxul undefined symbol.

Walter's Palemoon SSE (27.2.1) works perfectly WITHOUT the added dbus libraries.
No need for Watchdog's tweaked pet (modified official version).

Puppy 4 is perfect for my DELL D600 with the broken wire that, because it no longer matches up with the wire in the DELL power supply (Speedstep problem) makes it run at 600MHz instead of 1600MHz unless you set the CPU Frequency Scaling Tool to min 1600MHz. This Tool can bypass the broken wire problem in puppy 4 (4.1.2 and 4.3.1) and a free program does the same in XP but the Tool does not work in any Puppy 5 I tried (they all set it to 600MHz max).

The DELL should now work at 1600MHz with the latest Pale Moon! (After we solder a loose DC power jack). This is a big step up from Opera 12 or Firefox 17.

Kernel 2.6.21.7 is handling the screwy nvidia (1400x1050) better than the old Lupu did.

sindi

D600 with puppy 4.3.1 and youtube

#9 Post by sindi »

Dell D600 from 2003 with broken wire, 1600Mhz, CPU Frequency Scaling tool set it
to 1600MHz minimum but it acts like 600Mhz. CPU speed tests are
identical to those of an 800MHz Toshiba laptop. Blowfish 56, Cryptohash 20.
(My 1GHz PIII 2001 DELL 8100 does 36/36 - better on both tests).

The Toshiba and DELL both work with Pale Moon 27.2.1 SSE, in Lupu and
Puppy 4.3.1 respectively. HTML5 and Flash video are far too slow to be
usable. CPU usage on the DELL is about 200%. On the Toshiba about 100%.

Smtube on the Toshiba has increasing lag - sound plays ahead of the
picture. (I tried various videos. A circa-2010 blackberry phone with
wifi also has sound ahead of video).

In Puppy 4.3.1 smtube (after putting its qt libs on the path and
cacert.pem in /usr/local/ssl) can find videos but does not play them.
Any ideas why?

movgrab downloaded a 360p video which plays perfectly with mplayer
(except I ran out of download space).

The integrated intel 855GME graphics chip appears to be the limiting
factor on the Toshiba.

The DELL has a non-integrated ATI Radeon graphics chip with 32MB RAM.
The Toshiba Intel video shares memory with the motherboard.

Since Puppy 4.3.1 and Lupu both run at 600MHz, the solution is to install
Lupu with smtube for youtube, and Pale Moon for browsing.

watchdog

#10 Post by watchdog »

sindi wrote: Firefox 17 requires libdbus and libdbus-glib. Firefox 45 and Seamonkey 2.46 will not work in puppy 4.3.1 even with those added libraries. libxul undefined symbol.
I use libdbus and libdbus-glib from debian lenny in puppy 4.31 by default. See also:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109457

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109550

Walter's Palemoon SSE (27.2.1) works perfectly WITHOUT the added dbus libraries.
No need for Watchdog's tweaked pet (modified official version).
My palemoon glibc-tweaked package is the sse2 capable version.

sindi

#11 Post by sindi »

[quote="watchdog"][quote="sindi"]

[quote]Walter's Palemoon SSE (27.2.1) works perfectly WITHOUT the added dbus libraries.
No need for Watchdog's tweaked pet (modified official version).[/quote]

My palemoon glibc-tweaked package is the sse2 capable version.[/quote]

Both Walter's SSE and the official SSE2 versions worked on my P4 laptops and I could find no difference in performance - same CPU usage at youtube for
HTML5 or Flash (SSE or SSE2 flash). Have you noted any differences? My laptops date from 2000-2008.

watchdog

#12 Post by watchdog »

sindi wrote:
Both Walter's SSE and the official SSE2 versions worked on my P4 laptops and I could find no difference in performance - same CPU usage at youtube for
HTML5 or Flash (SSE or SSE2 flash). Have you noted any differences? My laptops date from 2000-2008.
Are you using old puppies with a general glibc upgrade? My package works in old puppies without any general glibc upgrade.

sindi

glibc upgrade vs watchdog's tweaked pale moon

#13 Post by sindi »

I upgraded glibc in puppy 4 and wary because it is only a few MB and it
lets me use other programs not just pale moon. (Maybe I missed some
files? /usr/lib/libc*2.11* is what I counted). /usr/lib/palemoon/ in
the tweaked installation appears to be about 60MB. My computers have
small hard drives (4-10GB in most) with lots of linuxes on them and
microXP and are crowded.

So unless SSE2 support makes a perceptible difference I will use Walter's
SSE version with updated glibc.

The latest official SSE2 version works with lupu. I don't recall if I
tested it with glibc-updated puppy 4.3.1.