dCoreDog (uses Ubuntu Xenial Xerus 32 bit repositories)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
johnywhy

#21 Post by johnywhy »

ok, thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

mavrothal

#22 Post by mavrothal »

mcewanw wrote: No doubt an iso could be made, but I have no such plans and I'm not sure of tiny core team licensing policy in terms of distribution in that form.

Only takes 10 to 20 minutes to complete the first 19 steps of the howto, which gets you wireless connection as well as firefox.
The TC team is indeed strict with their licensing requiring you to have your host server that will also mirror the official TC sources and distributions. But it can be done.
On the other hand going through a loooooong set of instructions might only be for the "determined ones".
There is a plan C though that can circumvent these. Script the ISO building! You might want to get some ideas from this script
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

mcewanw

#23 Post by mcewanw »

mavrothal wrote:...
On the other hand going through a loooooong set of instructions might only be for the "determined ones".
There is a plan C though that can circumvent these. Script the ISO building! You might want to get some ideas from this script
Yes, I'd go along with that sentiment (rather than building iso). Indeed I commented about the possibility early on in the howto:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 583#947583

But nice to have a second automatic scripting link; thanks for that or should I say "Takk skal du ha" (no, not google translate - jeg bodde i Oslo i ti måneder men det var mange mange år siden).

Having said that, it only takes the first 6 steps of this howto to boot up the system to the commandline including working wifi by then, which is no more really than setting up a frugal install from most iso distributions.

The following dozen steps (which only take a few minutes since just really a matter of loading the wanted apps) provides a usefully working desktop. The rest is just window-dressing - optional according to any interested user's wishes (and I'll add more of that later). Actually, my own main purpose in ever writing a howto is to remind myself of all the steps (and possibilities) - if these prove useful to others that is just a bonus!

One thing about following steps, as opposed to the nevertheless good idea of a fully-scripted 'solution' is that a lot more can be learned from following steps than simply pressing an auto-build-install button... But... after performing some howto steps it becomes nice to also have a one-button build/install facility. As I said in that link above, I felt too lazy to bother doing that, but as I've expanded the howto I'm become more interested in the result so more inclined to autoscript it myself. But for now I am working on incorporating some very nice DebianDog utilities for converting Puppy dotpet and sfs files into deb format (and from there into dCore sce format) - some complex issues involved to keep the result reasonable 'safe/stable'.

Williiam
github mcewanw

wanderer

#24 Post by wanderer »

hi mcewanw

this is just a post to inform you
that i am trying to build your stuff
i will post my progress
but first i have to read everything

great work

thanks much

wanderer

mcewanw

#25 Post by mcewanw »

I've been busy working on a new dCoreDog addition for the past two months. I wasn't satisfied with the existing pet2deb in XenialDog (but wanted an expanded functionality version for dCoreDog), especially since the DebianDog/XenialDog required yad to be installed. I wanted a version that would work from the commandline or if any of dialog, Xdialog, gtkdialog, or yad were present (with some facility for alternative GUI builders).

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 939#950939

In the process of making my version, I decided to make that code more general purpose so that could be used with bolt-ons for lots of current gtkdialog/yad etc utilities in the Dogs and Puppy itself.

Recently I have just been polishing it up and testing on my own systems and preparing a version for Puppy itself.

I have also recently chosen an open-source license for my C code underlying the operation of "weX" my audio recording/webcam recording/screencast application for Puppy, DebianDog and XenialDog - the source code for which I had still to license and publish.

More recently, however, I find that developers work is not being respected anyway, to the extent that community threads or new threads are being locked or deleted (at least some that some of my contributions are involved with). That would suggest that forum moderation is more important than development - good luck with that idea...
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#26 Post by mcewanw »

NOTICE OF MOVE TO GITHUB

Future development work of my projects (including dCoreDog, weX, scrox, Precord, pAVrecord, Premote, DoMyCommand, DoMyFIle, xhippo-mod and those I haven't mentioned) will be moving off the forum to a to-be-opened github account.

Don't think most if any of the Puppy-usable apps/scripts themselves are accessed thru woof-CE anyway and not used in most if any current Puppies.

William
github mcewanw

wiak

Installing standard tiny core linux rather than dcore

#27 Post by wiak »

For anyone interested in using standard tinycorelinux (rather than Dcore), you may find the installation steps detailed in following (Other Distros) link useful:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 130#990130

I'm planning to build a tiny Lua/IUP development system using the above. The resulting distro should end up quite tiny still (and very powerful since Lua/IUP very powerful and flexible) though will need various gtk2 libs added to make it work. Very small IUP/Lua dotpets for pups at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 611#987611

wiak