Slimjet web browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OscarTalks

#81 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet version 12.0.5.0 based on Chromium 53.0.2785.89 is out.
Now requires --no-sandbox argument in older Puppies (same as Vivaldi 1.4).
Adequate sandboxing in Tahr. Use "tahr" version in Slacko 6.3.* to run with sandbox enabled.
I think the video problem in Twitter and Periscope is due to lack of h264 codec because of licensing issues. Not sure why other browsers have it working
Experimental packages uploaded, but I am considering stopping doing this.
Includes Pepper Flash 23.0.0.185
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB
Oscar in England

sheldonisaac

new to Slimjet

#82 Post by sheldonisaac »

OscarTalks (in part) wrote:If you want to move the entire window (not maximised) you should be able to do the usual of hold down the Alt key and then left-click and drag anywhere in the window to move the whole thing.

Also if it helps you can put the normal JWM window borders around it from within the Settings by ticking "Use system title bar and borders".
OscarTalks, thank you! I got version 12.0.4.0 sfs from your link yesterday, and like it a lot. Under Slim Slacko 6.

But what will I do if you stop doing this!!??

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

OscarTalks

#83 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 12.0.6.0 now out.
Seems they are releasing bugfixes every couple of days just lately.
I have updated my experimental packages.

@Sheldon and anyone else,
Mike Walsh is also putting packages together for Slimjet
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106957
I am tending to use Vivaldi more as my Chromium derivative of choice but have not completely abandoned Slimjet yet.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#84 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Sheldon.
sheldonisaac wrote:But what will I do if you stop doing this!!??
As Oscar says, look here.

My 12.0.6.0 packages have just been released in the last half-hour. I'm posting from it in Tahr64 now.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 692#929692

The Puppy maxim has always been one of choice. The main difference with mine is that they reside in /opt (same as Chrome). rather than /usr/lib. Apart from that, it's the same browser.....and works just the same. Just packaged in a different way, that's all.

My inspiration came from Oscar originally; I have him to thank for my interest in SlimJet in the first place. It's taken over from Chrome for me in the 32-bitzers, since Google dropped support for 32-bit Chrome back in April.

It does everything Chrome can.....and then some..! :)

Mike. :wink:

OscarTalks

#85 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet website is now offering 13.0.0.0 as a "beta".
Based on Chromium 55 with PepperFlash 24.0.0.194 bundled.
MEDIA CODEC SUPPORT appears to be improved.
Videos on Twitter and Periscope are playing.
Experimental 32bit packages uploaded.
Running OK in Wheezy and Slacko 5.7
Oscar in England

greengeek

#86 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:Slimjet website is now offering 13.0.0.0 as a "beta"...
Hi OscarTalks - thanks very much for this. Just tried the Slacko version on my Slacko 5.6 derivative and it works perfectly so far - including pepperflash. Very grateful for your continued efforts at bringing capable browsers into puppydom.

I like to stick with the oldest, most lightweight browsers that I can, but for some purposes there is no substitute for recent offerings. Your versions just seem to work perfectly for me. Real timesaver.

Thanks!

duckguy

Slimjet? Not Working in Tahrpup 6.05 (32 bit)

#87 Post by duckguy »

Hi, I'm posting this from Slimboat.

When I first loaded the 32bit version of Tahrpup 6.05 the quickpet manager came with Slimboat. When I tried to update Slimboat, the site told me to just switch to Slimjet.

Newsflash. Slimjet won't run on the latest 32 bit version of Tahrpup! Good news, though. I have the 64 bit version of Tahrpup, and it runs just fine. The only thing is that the 64 bit Tahrpup is too buggy and crashes frequently!

My advice is to stick to the 32 bit version, and stick to Slimboat, until they come up with a more stable version of either the 64 bit Puppy, or a Slimjet that won't crash with the 32 bit Puppy.

Hope this helps. B"H.

Mike Walsh

#88 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, duckguy.

Curious. Where are you getting your SlimJet from, may I ask? The 32-bit versions that both Oscar and I do for Puppy run without any problems... :?

I also don't understand why your copy of Tahr64 is 'buggy', and 'crashes frequently'. My own is as stable as they come; it's where I package the 64-bit versions of SlimJet.....and they run just fine.

duckguy

#89 Post by duckguy »

Curious. Where are you getting your SlimJet from, may I ask?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Mike, I was using slimjet-12.0.11.0-tahr.pet, but it will not load. Good news though, I found a later vesion (that loaded) here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7n0opd8xp ... tahr.pet#!
I also don't understand why your copy of Tahr64 is 'buggy', and 'crashes frequently'. My own is as stable as they come; it's where I package the 64-bit versions of SlimJet.....and they run just fine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all, in Tahr64, the touch pad never configures properly. The settings must be reconfigured every time the system reboots. Also the memory frequently clogs with data overflow and then the system freezes, which requires the user to do a hard reset of the system. I almost never shut down Tahr64 normally - because it locks up so frequently. I really like its speed and smoothness but it's unstable (at least the configuration that I have).

By the way, thank you for replying so astutely and with such alacrity! B"H.
Last edited by duckguy on Tue 31 Jan 2017, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

duckguy

#90 Post by duckguy »

Hi trying to reply but it's not loading up!!! B"H.
Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, duckguy.

Curious. Where are you getting your SlimJet from, may I ask? The 32-bit versions that both Oscar and I do for Puppy run without any problems... :?

duckguy

#91 Post by duckguy »

Hi Mike, I was using slimjet-12.0.11.0-tahr.pet, but it will not load. Good news though, I found a later vesion (that loaded) here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7n0opd8xp ... tahr.pet#!
First of all, in Tahr64, the touch pad never configures properly. The settings must be reconfigured every time the system reboots. Also the memory frequently clogs with data overflow and then the system freezes, which requires the user to do a hard reset of the system. I almost never shut down Tahr64 normally - because it locks up so frequently. I really like its speed and smoothness but it's unstable (at least the configuration that I have).

By the way, thank you for replying so astutely and with such alacrity! B"H.

duckguy

#92 Post by duckguy »

Hi Mike, I was using slimjet-12.0.11.0-tahr.pet, but it will not load. Good news though, I found a later vesion (that loaded) here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7n0opd8xp ... 6-tahr.pet#! ... this updated version is loaded and running.
First of all, in Tahr64, the touch pad never configures properly. The settings must be reconfigured every time the system reboots. Also the memory frequently clogs with data overflow and then the system freezes, which requires the user to do a hard reset of the system. I almost never shut down Tahr64 normally - because it locks up so frequently. Also, the screensaver never comes on, no matter how many times it's configured. The computer's sleep mode locks up Tahr64, requiring a hard reboot (yet in Tahr32 both sleep mode and screensaver work smoothly on the exact same hardware). Also, I do have the 32-bit compatibility mode utility installed. Tahrpup64 is buggy though. I really like its speed and smoothness but it's unstable (at least the configuration that I have).

By the way, thank you for replying so astutely and with such alacrity! Sorry to take so long to reply. I replied before, but the message board just shows my reply as a blank entry. B"H.

Mike Walsh

#93 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah, well; as long as it's now up-and-running, that's all good.

Looks like one of mine; Oscar uses Yandex, AFAIK (after copy.com went under last year).

We do what we can to ensure maximum compatibility, but sometimes it's simply down to how much customising the individual has done with their system, or the particular combination of hardware.

The Chromium-based browsers all seem to rely, to a greater or lesser degree, on a number of the libs to be found in the FireFox directory, in /usr/lib. If you'd been using the version to be found in QuickPet, then I believe PhilB, when he was developing and building the Tahrs, mainly took many applications from their respective websites and did a direct .pet conversion on them. He wouldn't have had time to go through all the launcher scripts for every single one of them.....and the Chromium-based browsers have an enormous list of available command-line 'switches' which can be applied to the exec-line in the launcher scripts. Have a look here, if you don't believe me:-

http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-co ... -switches/

There's well over a thousand individual commands there.....and the potential number of combinations is mind-boggling, to say the least!

-------------------------------------------------------

I must confess, several of those problems you mention there are peculiar to laptops; like the touchpad, and the 'sleep' function.....stuff like that. My 64-bit machine is a BIG old Compaq business-class desktop PC, from around 12-13 years ago. My laptop is an even older Dell, from 2002.....with a P4, no less.

Still runs a lot of the modern Pups, though..!

duckguy

#94 Post by duckguy »

Mike Walsh wrote:Ah, well; as long as it's now up-and-running, that's all good.
Looks like one of mine; ...
I must confess, several of those problems you mention there are peculiar to laptops; like the touchpad, and the 'sleep' function.....stuff like that. ... Mike. :wink:
OK! I am running two laptops, that's true. One old Toshiba with a dual core AMD chip, and a slightly newer HP with a dual core Intel chip. Both are around ten years old. Both have the same issues with Tahr64, touchpad, screensaver, memory clogging. The Toshiba is maxed on RAM, but the HP still could take another 2GB. I found Tahr64 to be smoother on both. Tahr32 is rock solid on them though. There is almost nothing that can crash it and all the functions of the laptops work with no struggles.

Maybe I need a desktop like yours. Thanks for your help! B"H.

Mike Walsh

#95 Post by Mike Walsh »

Interesting you should say that.

I, too, find the 64-bit Pups to be somewhat 'smoother' in their operation.....yet still prefer the 32-bit Pups, simply due to their blistering speed..!

And you're right about 32-bit Tahr 6.05 as well. It was the very first Pup I'd found, over two years ago, that simply 'worked' on ye ancient Dell, OOTB, without the need for any funny 'workarounds'. The Dell uses the Intel 'Extreme' graphics adapter, which for long enough has been acknowledged by many to be nothing more (& nothing less) than a king-sized PITA to use under Linux.

Works perfectly under XP, of course.....and yet, to give Intel their due, when you do discover how to get it working under Linux, it still gives (even after almost 15 years) a razor-sharp, crystal-clear picture. There's nothing wrong with its operation, yet it's the sort of 'tiffling-about' that puts many newcomers to Linux right off their stroke..!

Tahr 6.05 is by far the most 'stable' of the recent generation of Pups.....which is why I've never had the slightest hesitation in recommending it. To anybody.

----------------------------------------------------
duckguy wrote:Maybe I need a desktop like yours.
Hah! The old girl was rescued from an ignominious trip to the dump nearly 3 years ago; my sister had just bought a new one pre-loaded with Win 7, 'cos XP was at EOL. I took it off her hands; my bro donated a 15" Dell monitor; he'd just quit using Windows, and treated himself to a top-of-the-range iMac, with the 34" Retina display.....and the keyboard, mouse, peripherals, etc., I'd got already. It's had a lot of upgrading; it was a top-end machine for its time, although outfitted with a 'basic' spec.

Lots of room for maneouvre!

OscarTalks

#96 Post by OscarTalks »

Some time ago I was thinking of stopping uploading any repacks of Slimjet. This was largely because the multimedia support did not seem as good as it is in some of the other Chromium derivatives.

This has been improving though in some of the more recent Slimjet versions and in 13.0.8.0 support has been introduced for additional media codecs via libffmpeg.so which has been the case in some other browsers for a while.

Instructions on the website talk about downloading the (pre-compiled) libffmpeg.so lib from git and installing it in the "/lib" subdirectory. The downloaded slimjet package contains a version of it in the main slimjet directory. A little confusing, but anyway what I did was download the git version, strip it and put in in place of the packaged one. I also created a relative symlink in the /lib subdirectory so it is effectively found in both locations.

Please note that for Slacko 6.3.x you should be able to use the "tahrpup" version which does have some working sandboxing.
Oscar in England

Marv

#97 Post by Marv »

"tahrpup" version 13.0.8.0 up and running well in X-slacko 4.2, X-slacko slim 4.2r42, and LxPupSc 17.03.32T. All on frugal Grub4Dos installs to a core 2 duo all intel laptop. The profile is on a second EXT2 partition on the SSD and symlinked from /~/.config. For X-Slim I added these libraries as it comes with no moz or firefox browser libs on board

Code: Select all

/opt/slimjet/lib: 
libnspr4.so.0d libplc4.so libplds4.so.0d 
libnss3.so libplc4.so.0d libsmime3.so 
libnspr4.so libnssutil3.so libplds4.so libssl3.so 
/opt/slimjet/lib/nss: 
libfreebl3.chk libnssckbi.so libnssdbm3.so libsoftokn3.so 
libfreebl3.so libnssdbm3.chk libsoftokn3.chk 
but for the other two pups only the symlink to my slimjet profile (same as I used for 13.0.7.0 and 13.0.3.0) was needed. Seems like the first run after boot (not in RAM) is a bit quicker with your wrapper than with the stock slimjet wrapper I used with 13.0.7.0. Nothing fancy tried with it but all-in-all right now it is my favorite chromium deriv. and I haven't had it fail on any site or lock up in a fair bit of use on the three pups above.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

OscarTalks

#98 Post by OscarTalks »

Pepper Flash update to 25.0.0.148
Slimjet update to 13.0.9.0
Still based on Chromium 55 but
Although it wasn't mentioned in the change log when I looked
Slimjet directory now contains the widevine libraries
These show up in slimjet://plugins and are used for Netflix and some other things.
People who use such features may wish to test
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB?force_show=1
Oscar in England

greengeek

#99 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:Slimjet update to 13.0.9.0
Still based on Chromium 55 but
Although it wasn't mentioned in the change log when I looked
Slimjet directory now contains the widevine libraries
These show up in slimjet://plugins and are used for Netflix and some other things.
Thanks Oscar - just tested the Slacko 14.0 pet and it works perfectly for me in a Slacko 5.6 derivative.

Netflix working perfectly.

cheers!

Marv

#100 Post by Marv »

"tahrpup" version 13.0.8.0 updated to "tahrpup" version 13.0.9.0 in LxPupSc 17.04.1 smoothly. I'm running the SFS versions so it's just a matter of unloading the older SFS and loading the newer. The symlink in /~/.config/ to my profile on a data partition is unchanged. No issues noted, not a lot of errors run from terminal, only

Code: Select all

getrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE) failed
Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.