setting up persistence Porteus-boot in Xenialdog

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
labbe5

setting up persistence Porteus-boot in Xenialdog

#1 Post by labbe5 »

Some people have a hard time figuring out how to set up persistence (Porteus-boot) in Dog-based OS.

Here's a sketchy how-to :

Out-of-the-box, Xenialdog sets save folder (or save file) up in casper folder.

But extlinux.conf is not configured to look for it in casper. You have to open extlinux.conf file (with geany) and change settings :

Click syslinux folder, then click extlinux folder, then open extlinux.conf, and change settings :

label MintPup - porteus-boot in RAM changes=/casper/changes.dat
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/casper/changes.dat

Underlined casper is what you add. Save extlinux.conf file, and reboot.

It is a setting that works for me.

rufwoof

#2 Post by rufwoof »

Hi labbe5

In Debian adding a kernel boot parameter of persistence-storage=file can help speed up bootup. I use a actual partition for saving and include a kernel boot parameter of persistence-storage=filesystem ... which side steps it also checking for persistence files. There might be a similar option for Ubuntu.

I have it set up so that the single partition is the boot partition, the main filesystem partition ... and the save partition (I sometimes create a swap file and activate that in the same partition so its also the swap partition :) )

i.e. sda contains a grub4dos boot sector and grldr/menu.lst files, and a /live folder (similar to /casper) within which is the filesystem.squashfs (main filesystem, similar to puppyxxx.sfs), and the partition has been assigned a label of 'persistence' which in the case of Debian is what it looks for/uses as a save partition).

Taking that a step further, extract all of the main filesystem to / and everything is in effect in the save-space (partition) ... which means it can also be booted as though a full install. It also means the main filesystem.squashfs can be emptied ... which avoids the issues that still exist for overlaid copies ... as there's no actual overlaying of multiple copies involved (IIRC if you create a folder, delete that folder, recreate the folder as a sym link and delete that ... all with the same folder name, then saving that can result in corruption (can't recall the exact detail ... something along those lines)).

Mostly I just boot frugally as that way all writes are written to memory not disk, so runs faster. I do have a script however that can flush those changes to disk (similar to performing a save) at any time I choose.

You can also drop other pup's into that same partition i.e. in their own sub-folder/directory and boot those as usual (handy to have at least one for performing admin type tasks should the main choice not boot properly).

It's as though the big distro's are finally catching up to Puppy Linux frugal booting style. But still contain the Out house sink (my main gnome filesystem.squashfs is 1.4GB) ... for instance /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/locale alone if extracted out and squashfs'd produce around a 300MB sfs filesize. That is with pretty much everything I use however, full office suite, browser, skype, media centre ...etc. (Tally all of a typical puppy's main sfs, devxx, skype, libre ...etc sfs's combined and doesn't work out to be much different in total size ... especially if that 300MB sfs of doc and locale were also included).

Pelo

some difficulties too with persistence

#3 Post by Pelo »

I am a poor Linux user, and had some difficulties too with persistence.
That is finished, i stroe my data in my Linux partition as described above. however wit DebianDog an error tells me that the storage place is not enough. As with xenialDog i have not reached full yet, I let DebianDog in 'veille'. I bookmark this topic to study it later ( translation to french is not an easy task).

PS : In fact i am searching an answer to make my wireless key efficient for XenialDog. And devs seem to ignore my request :?
I have a laptop, i want to take it with me in my car, when driving to the beach, or countryside. Sure i hold some Puppies that will dot it.. But an OS should work with oudoor computing. The Dogs don't.

fredx181

#4 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:PS : In fact i am searching an answer to make my wireless key efficient for XenialDog. And devs seem to ignore my request Confused
Mmm... seems to me it's the other way around, dancytron attempted to help by asking you what chipset you have, and you didn't respond.
dancytron wrote:Most wireless drivers are available if you know where to look.

Do you know what chipset you have? If not, the brand name and model information on your dongle?
How can people help you if you don't give detailed info?

Fred

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Pelo could solve his own problem by purchasing another USB WiFi adapter that uses a driver built-in to all kernels.

A good choice for k4.x kernels would be 8188eu. Mike Walsh mentions the TP-LINK TL-WN725N here.

Pelo

#6 Post by Pelo »

Rcrsn51, well notice msdel to buy for kernels 4XXX . I hold several Little Puppy Linux for which you compile a pet for 8192CU. i just need to take the pendrive in my pocket.. and the dongle of course. Easy.
XenialDog users seem to be only linked by cable ethernet. That wat the message sent to devs of Dogs, think about this subject of wireless and antennas.

I will check if an answer was received that i would not have taken in account.

0xdawg

#7 Post by 0xdawg »

dood, you had all the answers on yer WiFi-problem but you're ignoring all of them.

just a couple days ago Médor advised you to connect to mobile 3G/4G on any Windows OS.

constantly bringing up your connection problem / polluting threads won't manage that anybody ever helps you.
[size=75][b][url]https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe[/url][/b][/size]

fredx181

#8 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo wrote:XenialDog users seem to be only linked by cable ethernet. That wat the message sent to devs of Dogs, think about this subject of wireless and antennas.
Sorry, Pelo, I don't understand, there may be a language problem, but can you please clarify more about what you mean exactly?
There's a lot of drivers included for wireless in XenialDog, I can connect to wireless perfectly by using frisbee.
If I remember well you wrote a few times earlier that wireless works well for you with XenialDog, e.g. here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 638#937638

Maybe better to continue about this subject in the XenialDog thread because speaking about wireless is a bit off-topic here.

Fred

Pelo

0xdawg they are lot of solutions. you can change of city too

#9 Post by Pelo »

0xdawg they are lot of solutions. you can change of city too. The easiest is provided by Medor himsel . He compiled driver for his wireless antennas for running Slaxen 6.3.2 kernel 3.4.55 with his wacom fujitsu.
I think that is Puppy want it for the community, yes Puppy can do it.
Dogs too, of course
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 05:41, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

jump to XenialDog main topic

#10 Post by Pelo »

jump to XenialDog main topic
Fredx, It's an opinion.. A feed back from one user (passenger).. only one :)