Anyone want custom kernels or drivers?

News, happenings

Anyone want custom kernels or drivers?

#1 Post by Guest »

If anyone has a need for such a thing I'm willing to provide that service for those who cannot or do not know how to. (compiling, not development from scratch)

I'll be experimenting with madwifi drivers (wireless) compiled in and report back from time to time....

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

As you know I am directly wired. Plugged into the mains for ECT.

Barry considers you the wifi Guru, so I welcome all your efforts.
When we start running Puppy on phones in a few years - the idea of wired ethernet will seem strange . . .

I wonder if a 2.6 kernel can just be slotted into the existing Pup (that was the plan)? Not quite sure if I am asking the right question . . .

The advantage of 2.6 seemed to me speed . . .

Anyways - good luck :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gnomen

#3 Post by gnomen »

SATA support in the kernel :D

I need it since I only have SATA drives on my machine. I have been trying to compile my own within vmware with Puppy 1.05alpha for some days. Vmware, 1.05alpha and the compiling-invironment seems to work like a charme, but... well, let's say it is quite a learning-curve :oops:
fake it until you make it

#4 Post by Guest »

OK no probs just send me some details of your hardware\chipset for the sata and I'll have a look into it

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

I've been working on this with limited success. My Puppy installation on an ide drive can see my sata drive, mount it and move data easily.

Getting Puppy to boot from sata has been the challenge. I finally got Puppy to do so from a previous grub installation, but probepart ignores the other sata partitions. It seems that compiling sata support directly into the kernel needs to be done, but apparently modules that load automatically in rc.local0 and rc.modules muck up the works. Specifically, scsi_mod. This is with the 2.4.29 kernel.

Bladehunter, if you get this to work, it would be great!
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Retina

#6 Post by Retina »

A custom driver eh?

Perhaps one for the D-Link Airplus Wireless DWL-G650 Rev.C?

I'm not sure which chipset it uses, ADM8211 maybe? I'm not sure.

#7 Post by Guest »

If you're new to linux wait til you get another cdr and download the supported version and go from there, it'll be much much easier. Trust me :)

Retina

#8 Post by Retina »

Ha, I thought you'd say that. :wink:

Well, in the meantime, could you check to see if this precompiled one is right? I just found it and I'm not sure if it would work.

page

Just scroll down 1-2 pages and in big bold letters it will say "G650"

Is this the right driver?

#9 Post by Guest »

Best thing for you to do is

boot puppy

open up rxvt

type

#lspci

and relay the output.....the C1 version (that was would you said) uses the atheros chipset see this page

http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki ... 61caeac6ec

Retina

#10 Post by Retina »

Ah well. Puppy isn't built for morons like me, so I'm gonna try something else that runs alongside windows. Maybe I can try puppy after I learn that.

Thanks for the help blade :D

#11 Post by Guest »

Hey don't give up

Puppy is simple...really really is

Look have a look in the announcements download the the new wifi package and I'll walk you through setting up wireless

Please....dont trow the towel in yet

Retina

#12 Post by Retina »

I don't have any CD's though, and don't plan on getting any anytime soon. :?

So pretty much, my options are limited for any distro of linux.

#13 Post by Guest »

Download and install this

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/dotpups ... beta-2.pup

When you download it save it in the same place where you have your pup001 file..

should be c:\

Then boot puppy......click on rox

browse to /mnt/home

click on the file to install

during the install and readme will open and a help file in dillo web browser...

Read them very carefully and if you have any problems report back

:)

Retina

#14 Post by Retina »

Hmm okay. Well, I downloaded it and put it in C:\

Before I boot up puppy, I have a question not relating to this.

Is there a way I can make it so I don't need my CD to boot up puppy? Could I somehow change the Boot.ini file?

#15 Post by Guest »

Just watching Doctor Who.....I'll have an answer for you in an hour :)

But in the meantime just boot wih the cd, install the package and have a look :)

Retina

#16 Post by Retina »

Well, I tried it, but now Puppy doesn't even boot up anymore. It shows the puppy screen, I press a key, then it shows a page of the loading stuff, and then it just keeps giving me an error. I'm not sure what it was, but I don't wanna bother looking at it again.

Allan

#17 Post by Allan »

Retina
Is there a way I can make it so I don't need my CD to boot up puppy? Could I somehow change the Boot.ini file?
If you are using XP try this:
http://www.ph-islands.net/pupinstall/winxp.php

Retina

#18 Post by Retina »

Alright, that I understood.

Now, as for my previous post, I fixed the error by deleting an unused partition from my computer.

As for my new problem, I can locate the file you gave me in mtn/home, but when I click on it it opens in a text editor. How would I make it run like you say?

Damn, linux is confusing. xD

I think sometime in the distant future when I get CD's, I'll get a few Linux for Dummies books too. :|

#19 Post by Guest »

The name of the file must be

wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup

With no other extensions, or it will not work

Retina

#20 Post by Retina »

Okay, I've gotten it installed. It shows my card in the list [DWL-G650 Rev.C], but it doesn't automatically detect it.

I type modprobe rdiswrapper into the console shell, and it isn't exactly like it shows in the html help file, but it's close nonetheless.

So right now I'm gonna try and get some info to input into wireless.cfg

After that, what would I do? Some of this is confusing me, and I'm not sure I'm even doing the steps right, or even in the correct order :lol: