Is user data lost if system didn't shut down correctly?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
CandyManJ

Is user data lost if system didn't shut down correctly?

#1 Post by CandyManJ »

Hi,

Since everything is loaded into RAMDisk, doesn't that mean that if the system shut down incorrectly, Puppy wont be able to save the changes made to the files in /root such as documents, etc...? So if I was working on a document saved in /root/my-documents, what would happen to it if power went down?

If someone can give a brief explanation of how Puppy works regarding how it boots and such, since the information written in Wiki is not really neat, and has many grammar mistakes.

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

Don't let grammar stop you. ;)

What you say is the behavior many of us like and use primarily.
Puppy has a setting in event manager which controls the save interval.
Which is after how much time the files in RAM will be written to savefile.
So basically you can set it to 1 sec and lose only one second worth data.
But many like me set it to 0. So nothing is saved untill we click save button.
This is about system files though, any document residing on your disk will still be changed when you click that save button in it's editor app.

CandyManJ

#3 Post by CandyManJ »

drunkjedi wrote:Don't let grammar stop you. ;)

What you say is the behavior many of us like and use primarily.
Puppy has a setting in event manager which controls the save interval.
Which is after how much time the files in RAM will be written to savefile.
So basically you can set it to 1 sec and lose only one second worth data.
But many like me set it to 0. So nothing is saved untill we click save button.
This is about system files though, any document residing on your disk will still be changed when you click that save button in it's editor app.
Each day I respect this distro more :P

I went to the event manager, but the Save Interval is disabled, I can't set it to anything, it is set to default to 30 minutes and I can't change that, also, it says in the paragraph above that I am using PUPMODE=12, what does that mean?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

CandyManJ wrote:it says in the paragraph above that I am using PUPMODE=12, what does that mean?
That means that you are using a conventional frugal install with a save file/folder. It is NOT loaded into RAM and your data is constantly written back to the hard drive.

If you shut down improperly, you may get an error message on the next reboot, but this is usually recoverable.

In a PUPMODE=13 setup, the data from your current session is held in RAM until you flush it back to the drive. This is how most flash drive installs work. This current data would be lost during an improper shutdown.

Most experienced Puppy users keep very little in /root. They will put documents/music/photos, etc. in locations outside of their savefile structure.

CandyManJ

#5 Post by CandyManJ »

rcrsn51 wrote:
CandyManJ wrote:it says in the paragraph above that I am using PUPMODE=12, what does that mean?
That means that you are using a conventional frugal install with a save file/folder. It is NOT loaded into RAM and your data is constantly written back to the hard drive.

If you shut down improperly, you may get an error message on the next reboot, but this is usually recoverable.

In a PUPMODE=13 setup, the data from your current session is held in RAM until you flush it back to the drive. This is how most flash drive installs work. This current data would be lost during an improper shutdown.

Most experienced Puppy users keep very little in /root. They will put documents/music/photos, etc. in locations outside of their savefile structure.
But we can benefit from the encrypted save file by keeping our data in /root, right? If I want to keep my data safe in that save file.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

CandyManJ wrote:But we can benefit from the encrypted save file by keeping our data in /root, right? If I want to keep my data safe in that save file.
You mean safe from other people versus safe from corruption.

You should look at ways of making a reliable backup copy of your encrypted save file.