Opera 9.10 Widgets

Using applications, configuring, problems
WhoDo

Opera 9.10 Widgets

#1 Post by WhoDo »

Hi gang,

I'm really starting to come to grips with Opera 9.10, and I particularly like that it doesn't crash all the time, as does Firefox, Swiftfox and Seamonkey when Flash is installed / upgraded.

I particularly like the Opera Widgets, which let me have all sorts of goodies at my beckon call - eg weather reports, desktop clock, etc. Only problem is that ALL of these widgets appear on a rectangular grey background in Puppy.

Anyone know how to make this transparent so my lovely Puppy backdrop will show through - not the clock part, just the background rectangle? It's clearly an X-server issue, but I have no idea where to start with such issues. All help greatly appreciated.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

is the root window actually set? the Rox pinboard does not set the root window, it sets a window that overlays the root window ... does something like this (it should set the root X window) make any difference?

qiv -x /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg

WhoDo

#3 Post by WhoDo »

GuestToo wrote:is the root window actually set? the Rox pinboard does not set the root window, it sets a window that overlays the root window ... does something like this (it should set the root X window) make any difference?

qiv -x /root/Choices/ROX-background.jpg
Unfortunately no, it doesn't. I've had a look "behind" the widgets and discovered that they are likely "drawn" with javascript code and created in an html window. What I think I'm getting as a grey background is simply the default html background of that window.

I wonder if I could set that to transparent somehow?

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#4 Post by mbutts »

hey there, did you try the opera developers site?

http://my.opera.com/community/dev/widgets/

they have a forum page there and some documentation on making widgets. perhaps there might be some guru there at their forum that can help ya. ive played with making widgets but im not good enought to give you any advice on the background. i do think you maybe onto something as to how they are constructed but in what limited reading i have done there myself i cant help beyond that. cheers!

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

mbutts wrote:hey there, did you try the opera developers site?
Yep! It seems I may be running up against a limitation of the window managers in Puppy. Both Icewm and JWM have the same problem. When speaking to MU about automatic transparent window support in Puppy, he pointed out that it wasn't possible with the present window managers. Might just be the same blind alley?

transset + OpenGL will set the entire contents of a window transparent, but I need a way to set only the background of the widgets window, effectively a second browser window, transparent. It works under KDE but I'm not willing to go that route just to get a little extra eye candy.

Thanks for answering, mate. Cheers.