Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 11:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
New to compiling. Can't configure
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
noalternative

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 20:17    Post subject:  New to compiling. Can't configure  

I am trying to compile a purple-facebook.pet for pidgin. I have downloaded devx and kernel sources. I have dowloaded the file from github, and downloaded the tar.gz, but whenever I extract, and open a terminal and type ./configure I get.

root# ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
root#

I am using instructions from git and here

https://github.com/dequis/purple-facebook/wiki/Building-on-*NIX
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35507
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 20:35    Post subject:  

Pidgin plugins must be compiled against the Pidgin source. Do you have a compiled version of Pidgin with the source/dev package available/installed? (Preferably the most recent version.)

You can also try contacting the plugin's maintainer directly, or asking on the Support mailing list (Support Info Page)... I'm not sure whether or not it should be asked on the development mailing list, however.

noalternative

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 20:46    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
Pidgin plugins must be compiled against the Pidgin source. Do you have a compiled version of Pidgin with the source/dev package available/installed? (Preferably the most recent version.)

You can also try contacting the plugin's maintainer directly, or asking on the Support mailing list (Support Info Page)... I'm not sure whether or not it should be asked on the development mailing list, however.

This was the most recent pet I could find for buntu puppies, and it works fine for my other messengers, like xmpp & hangouts.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64385
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 21:01    Post subject:  

If you're installing from Pidgin packages, the DEV package should be enough for compiling against, I believe. It would still be better to compile against the most recent version of Pidgin, however (so things would be less likely to break).
noalternative

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 21:18    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
If you're installing from Pidgin packages, the DEV package should be enough for compiling against, I believe. It would still be better to compile against the most recent version of Pidgin, however (so things would be less likely to break).

Ok but since I'm a newbie, I need to know what you mean when you say "compile against"

I need instructions.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017, 23:25    Post subject:  

before you did your ./configure , did you change into the correct directory?

Where did you get the tarball - the downloads on github require alternative instructions

noalternative

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2017, 01:20    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
before you did your ./configure , did you change into the correct directory?

Where did you get the tarball - the downloads on github require alternative instructions

I downloaded the directory from github according to the instructions for it at github

https://github.com/dequis/purple-facebook/wiki/Building-on-*NIX

Which I just looked at again and found that I was supposed to ./autogen.sh not ./configure, but before that I downloaded a tgz from the xenial repository.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/jgeboski/xUbuntu_16.04/

I just tried autogen in the git and it produced this error.

root# ./autogen.sh
hg (mercurial) not found in PATH
root#

I need something called mercurial.
purple-facebook_20170330~3cbb433~c9b74a765767~126.tar.gz
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2017, 05:52    Post subject:  

Running ./autogen.sh creates the configure script so you can then run ./configure but usually this only applies if downloading the source from the github trunk.

If you grab a release tarball you will usually find that the ./autogen.sh step has been done so you can go straight to ./configure and in this case mercurial is no longer required according to the documentation.
Releases are here, latest 0.9.3 is only a few days old.
https://github.com/dequis/purple-facebook/releases

Isn't mercurial in the devx anyway? If not you should be able to grab it from somewhere. I seem to recall compiling a version of it once some time ago. You need to make sure the other dependencies are satisfied including their DEV components (libjson-glib is one that you might need to grab or build but this is straight-forward).

technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2017, 14:56    Post subject:  

IIRC pidgin is one of the worst projects to build anyhow. My past experience with building it was so awful I won't even bother to touch it anymore - too much headache for too little gain.
Makoto

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 02:20    Post subject:  

I didn't have too much of a problem compiling Pidgin for Puppy 4 until the more recent versions. It's the plugins that gave me headaches. Laughing

noalternative wrote:
Ok but since I'm a newbie, I need to know what you mean when you say "compile against"

I need instructions.

Basically, in this sense, it just means you need to have Pidgin compiled and the development part of the compile (source, headers) installed. (If you're installing Pidgin from precompiled packages, just install the package with "DEV" in the name.) The plugins link to the Pidgin source/headers when compiling, so you're "compiling against" the source/headers.

...of course, technosaurus probably has a MUCH better explanation than me. Mr. Green

noalternative

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:08    Post subject:  

I found a version a version of mercurial that works, and installed a dev version of pidgin.

That seemed to clear up alot of things, and autogen and configure commands worked, unfortunately then I got to make. Then I got these errors.

Here is the pastbin of my terminal. I don't understant because if you look at autogen and configure they both clearly found libpurple.

https://pastebin.com/1iXqmwLW
here is the pastbin from config.log
https://pastebin.com/5dJkDkza

any insights?

BTW,I do intend to share this pet when finished.

Also. Would could this be moved to additional software/compiling? I didn't see it tell just a few minutes ago, so I think this is in the wrong subforum.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: