LxPup connects on Dell Latitude, but Mint won't, and others

Using applications, configuring, problems
XP Refugee

LxPup connects on Dell Latitude, but Mint won't, and others

#1 Post by XP Refugee »

my brother got a lemon Dell. No modem he says. And LxPup is the only distro he's tried that will see and connect to his wifi. He's tried Mint too. I'm amazed. Is there some way he can use code or the program LxPup uses to get him a working Mint xfce or something? He's tried stickin his live USB stick into the desktop and having it look for drivers but no go. I will admit he's one slow puppy for someone who used to knnow C++ etc. thanks for any help.
I TOLD him to just enjoy LxPup :) , but ubuntu has the camera/video editing stuff he wants.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Well, it seems like LxPup has the driver and Mint doesn't.

He needs to find out what chipset his wifi uses and then he can probably google instructions to get it to work in Ubuntu/Mint.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Or join a Ubuntu/Mint forum and ask.

XP Refugee

#4 Post by XP Refugee »

I'm just wondering if any of the experts has an idea why this is.
He's googling like crazy but goin under on information overload on the things it MIGHT be. We know this...LxPup 15.06 connects. So far nothing else does. It might be helpful to know why.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

but ubuntu has the camera/video editing stuff he wants.
What are the programs?

If Ubuntu can run them, Puppy can too.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

DT gave the correct response. Determine the chipset, then build the driver (corrected URL).
Last edited by Semme on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

XP Refugee

#7 Post by XP Refugee »

Semme wrote:DT gave the correct response. Determine the chipset, then build the driver.
it's a broadcom. He's got no ethernet port on this Latitude and the wifi don't connect. He's trying to get a tarball for drivers onto a Mint live USB he's using. I just find it amazing LxPup CAN connect thru wifi, but Mint can't.

thanks to all with suggestions. I forwarded the info about the programs.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

On second thought, you guys swing it.
Last edited by Semme on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

dancytron

#9 Post by dancytron »

XP Refugee wrote:
Semme wrote:DT gave the correct response. Determine the chipset, then build the driver.
it's a broadcom. He's got no ethernet port on this Latitude and the wifi don't connect. He's trying to get a tarball for drivers onto a Mint live USB he's using. I just find it amazing LxPup CAN connect thru wifi, but Mint can't.

thanks to all with suggestions. I forwarded the info about the programs.
Well, saying he's got a broadcom is like going to the autoparts store for a fan belt and saying he has a Ford. You need to find out the specific chipset and go from there.

Pelo

Driver 4.5.2 was compiled for dongles 8192cu.

#10 Post by Pelo »

My Lxpup Xenial connects wireless not only inside but outside my sweet home. Driver 4.5.2 was compiled for dongles 8192cu.
That proves that our little Puppies, in spite of few MBs needed, do better than huge Linux.
Nevertheless i must admit that some applications are not yet available, then i use XenialDog.
Mint.. Why not to try MintPup ?

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

or either of the XenialDogs which include the most firmware, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 548#901548 or, perhaps better, DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-jwm-2016-10-16.iso from here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 498#928498 or DebianDog64-Jessie-openbox-2016-03-20.iso, from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 415#895415. LinuxMint is based on debian Jessie. The JessieDogs access the same repos, using synaptic and apt-get.

As an after thought, somewhere on the DebianDogs' threads are links to "linux-firmware" debs. You can hunt for them using a Wellminded Search of the target "DebianDog linux-firmware", download the right deb and install it. But remember firmware is kernel specific. You'd have to know which LinuxMint version he's running. For example, LinuxMint Sarah has the 16,04 Kernel and would need the deb ID'd as "linux-firmware_1.157.4_all.deb"

mikesLr