Easy alternative to accelerated Qemu

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
cb88

Easy alternative to accelerated Qemu

#1 Post by cb88 »

You need:
VirtualBox has roots in Qemu but is way faster (uses direct execution)
It is probably about as fast as Vmware but its main Binaries are open source. Runs great on win and is reported to run on Debian, Fedora 4-5...ect.
would be great for testing alpha puppys (just trying to stir up some developer interest) :)
could be worth looking into as a pakage for puppy
run puppy in win or win in puppy it could happen! Maybe win in debian on puppy in win or would that be gonig too far? :wink:
It is very easy to use. Check it out and see if you like it.
Feel free to post any further ideas along these lines here
P.s I noticed that sound dosn't work in puppy VirtualBox uses virtual ac97 chip and I had the sound option on in Virtual Box.

To compile the Innotek site says you will need:
From innotek site
>GCC 3.2.3 or later
>as86 (real mode assembler, usually part of the dev86 or bin86 package)
>bcc (Bruce Evans C Compiler; often part of the dev86 package)
>IASL (Intel ACPI compiler)
>xsltproc (libxslt, XML style sheet processor)
>libxerces (Xerces XML parser; the C++, not the Java version)
>libxalan (Xalan XSL library, depends on Xerces; again, the C++, not the >Java version)
>libXcursor (required to support color mouse pointers in guest)
>Qt 3.3.x (with x >= 5 if possible)
>libIDL
>libSDL
>uuid
Last edited by cb88 on Fri 09 Feb 2007, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

gerhardk

network card

#2 Post by gerhardk »

I tried puppy linux 2.13 in VirtualBox 1.2.3. The problem I have is the network card, which one to choose? The eth0 is not available. I tried with pcnet32 and sk98lin (which is the installed card on my Debian host.
Any suggestion?
Is VirtualBox presenting a generic interface card (as it does with audio)?

cb88

#3 Post by cb88 »

I have tried virtual box with broadband connected directly to the real pc's ethernet port. I think dial up may be a little harder to setup but I didn't spend much time on it. maybe someone could do some dial up testing.
:!: Make sure you turn on the network card in the VM configuration it should work with the defalts but might require some tweaks for dial-up.
I am sure some of the more tecnically inclined would like to know your environment information like O/S and net card or modem chip.

Ps. I just tryed virtualbox running barebones puppy 1.0.4 and pcnet32 was already loaded but I don't think it is even needed all I did was auto dhcp in the network wizard and I was on the net this connectin is also over a network and not dial up. I believe the same goes for puppy 2 since that is what I tried first and it worked just the same.

Hope you get it working
cb88

kchance

install VB in 2.13?

#4 Post by kchance »

I have installed Virtual Box 1.3.2 on Puppy 2.13.
I have made a VM, but when I start it, I get the following message.
Any ideas?

VirtualBox kernel driver not installed.
At '/home/vbox/lnx-rel/src/VBox/VMM/VM.cpp' (303) in int VMR3Create(void (*)(VM*, void*, int, const char*, unsigned int, const char*, const char*, char*), void*, int (*)(VM*, void*), void*, VM**).
VBox status code: -1908 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

cb88

please post an fixes

#5 Post by cb88 »

I haven't sucsessfully installed virtual box on puppy so could you describe how you did it. Did you compile from source? If so that is a hair above my head but i am willing to try. Maybe there is a driver that needs to be added to the zdrv or compiled into the kernel(job for barry?). Any ideas with step by step instrutions are quite welcome.

cb88 semi-newbie

kchance

vbox

#6 Post by kchance »

I just downloaded the script VirtualBox 1.3.4 for Linux Hosts: for all distributions and ran it.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

cb88

Thanks

#7 Post by cb88 »

I had already downloaded it I will try it later when I have the time.
But probably will end up with the same problem as you.

cb88

mechvent

Puppy and VirtualBox a perfect combination

#8 Post by mechvent »

I have been using Puppy 2.14 in Virtual Box with XP as a host and I really like it. I can play with puppy while leaving XP untouched and therefore not invoking the usual complaints from my wife when I 'keep changing things around.'
So now I can play to my hearts content and I am a newbie noob to say the least. My problem is with the VBox Guest Additions. Making them work involves some actions, referred to in the manual, that are way past me right now. Has anyone gotten them working yet and how?
I realize I could learn a lot figuring this out for myself but I must admit impatience concerning the added features, most notably the sharing of folders between the guest and host OS.

saintlangton

#9 Post by saintlangton »

Does this help? (C'n'P from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ )

Linux hosts ¶

* If you get a message saying "VirtualBox kernel driver not accessible, permission problem" when starting VirtualBox right after installation, make sure that your user account is listed in the vboxusers group. The installation takes care creating that group, but you will need to manually add all users to it that should be allowed to run VirtualBox. As root, for each such user, run usermod -G vboxusers -a <userid>. If any of the affected users are currently logged in, they need to log out for the changes to take effect. In case any user already attempted to start VirtualBox before logging out (which launches the VBoxSVC service process with incorrect permissions), that user additionally needs to run VirtualBox shutdown from the command line to terminate the service. This solves the permission problems. (Alternatively, a reboot will help as well.)

I'm excited at the prospect of Puppy running virtualbox, (I tried, but never managed to get vmware to work properly) I'm just researching this now - I hope to get time to try it soon...

:D