Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 25 May 2017, 10:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking
RouterMaker (re-released)
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2016, 18:20    Post subject:  RouterMaker (re-released)  

RouterMaker turns your computer's network adapter into a virtual router with Internet sharing. It needs the following two Debian packages:
Code:
http://archive.debian.org/debian/pool/main/h/hostapd/hostapd_0.6.10-2+squeeze1_i386.deb
http://archive.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dnsmasq/dnsmasq-base_2.55-2+b1_i386.deb

Install them FIRST, before installing the RouterMaker PET.

Depending on your Puppy version, you may also need a MASQUERADE kernel module from here.

Read the information below about the types of WiFi adapters that can work as access points.

-----------------------------

RouterMaker is a script that runs from the command line. When you run the script, there may be some warning messages that you can safely ignore. RouterMaker will NOT work when a firewall is running on the host computer. The presence of a firewall blocks clients on the LAN side of the router from reaching the Internet.

To stop RouterMaker, press Ctrl-C.

-------------------------------

There are many ways to use RouterMaker. The simplest example is:

Code:
routermaker eth0 eth1

In this situation, the input eth0 is a single Internet connection. The output eth1 is a second Ethernet card (or a USB Ethernet adapter). By connecting eth1 to an Ethernet switch using a patch cable, you now have shared wired Internet. By default, the output network is 192.168.100.0. It has a built-in DHCP server that assigns IP addresses in the range 192.168.100.10-250.

Code:
routermaker ppp0 eth0

Now the input is coming from a modem and is sent out the Ethernet port for sharing. This will be SLOW!

Code:
routermaker wlan0 eth0

This setup shares the Internet from a WiFi input with some wired machines.

Code:
routermaker eth0 wlan0 ssid passphrase

This turns your wired Puppy into a WiFi access point with its own SSID and passphrase. Clients will receive an IP address in the range 192.168.100.10-250. The AP uses WPA2 encryption and the passphrase must be at least 8 characters long. You can also set up an unencrypted open AP. Set the passphrase to "none".

There are some restrictions on the type of WiFi adapter that can be turned into an AP. Internal units that use the ath5k, ath9k or b43 drivers work well. The new Broadcom wl driver does NOT work. Some recent Intel Centrino adapters using the iwlwifi driver may work.

However, wlan0 can also be an external USB adapter. Ath9k_htc, carl9170 and rt2800usb devices work. If you have a Realtek 8192cu or 8188eu device, there is a separate RouterMaker package. The Realtek r8712u does NOT work, nor do the new Mediatek devices.

Code:
routermaker wlan0 wlan1 ssid passphrase

This builds a WiFi range extender! If your main wireless router is not strong enough, you can set up a Puppy machine at the edge of its range that has two WiFi adapters. The input on wlan0 is routed to the virtual AP running on wlan1. Note that wlan1 is a different network with a separate WiFi login. You are not simply boosting the signal from wlan0.

There are several variations. Maybe wlan1 is a USB adapter that cannot work as an AP, but your internal adapter can. Or wlan0 has stronger output than wlan1. Just connect wlan1 to your Internet source and switch the command to:

Code:
routermaker wlan1 wlan0 ssid passphrase

Here is an important issue to recognize. The output network MUST be on a different IP subnet than the input. So if your input is already on 192.168.100.0, then the output MUST be different. Use the additional argument:

Code:
routermaker wlan0 wlan1 ssid passphrase 192.168.101.0

Using this technique, you can even extend your Internet through two or more RouterMaker Wifi APs.

If you are making a range extender, the best choice for the output unit is another external Wifi router. This eliminates any issues with hardware compatibility. Use #3 above and patch eth0 to one of the LAN ports on the router. Set up the router's LAN server with a static IP address like 192.168.100.251 and disable DHCP. Clients who login to this router get an IP address from 192.168.100.10-250. If you hook a wired computer or network printer into another LAN port, it joins the same subnet.

A RouterMaker router has both a WAN side and a LAN side. Suppose that your home network has various shared devices like printers. You now have two choices for setting up a wireless printer. If it is already connected to the WAN side, a client on the LAN side can automatically access it. But the reverse is NOT true. If a printer is connected to the LAN side, a client on the WAN side must login to the RouterMaker AP in order to use it. (There are ways of getting around this using port forwarding, but it's not worth the trouble.)

#8. Here is an extreme scenario. Use #3 and a switch. Connect the ports of the switch to the WAN ports of several WiFi routers. Configure each router as an independent WiFi network running its own DHCP. The networks will all get Internet from the common upstream source but will be isolated from each other.

------------------------------------
routermaker-1.2.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  routermaker-1.2.pet 
Filesize  1.5 KB 
Downloaded  119 Time(s) 

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 07:36; edited 1 time in total
stemsee

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2016, 18:12    Post subject:  

Hi rcrsn51

Your new script is very lean and keen.

Is this pinstall.sh correct?
Code:
#!/bin/sh
rm etc/init.d/hostapd
rm -rf etc/hostapd
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2016, 18:36    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
Is this pinstall.sh correct?

Yes. The Debian hostapd package contains some stuff that doesn't apply to Puppy. The pinstall script just removes it.
Atle

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2016, 13:27    Post subject:  

Got to take my hat of AGAIN...

When i install this to - lupusuper4 (kernel from pemasu's upup raring) (based on lupu 5.2.8.7, but with a 3.99 kernel, I get a error message that says:

iptables v1.4.4 cant initialize iptables 'nat' : tables does not exist (do you perhaps need to ismod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded

Does anyone make anything out of that?

iptables 1.4.4 is installed...

But i realize there is a answer to this in the very beginning of the post, so if i like to use this, i better choose one the is supported already since i guess you do put a lot of work into this and not all weird puppies can be supported always...

So since there are others that are supported, ill stick to them...

Atle
moi_classic2007

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 05:47    Post subject:  

Hello, I used to successfully make a wifi repeater by using program "hotspotd", but now I can't, I don't know why. It used to work very well
I tried your program and I got these massages:

Configuration file: /tmp/hostapd.conf
Failed to update rate sets in kernel module
Using interface wlan3 with hwaddr aa:33:bb:cc:dd:aa and ssid 'haizzzz'
Failed to set beacon head/tail
Could not set DTIM period for kernel driver
Failed to set CTS protect in kernel driver
Failed to set Short Slot Time option in kernel driver
Could not set preamble for kernel driver
unknown mgmt cb frame subtype 4
unknown mgmt cb frame subtype 4
unknown mgmt cb frame subtype 4 (and so on)

Could you please give me a suggest? Tks!
moi_classic2007

PostPosted: Sun 25 Sep 2016, 05:52    Post subject:  

I even made my own GUI program for this, it is for Tahrpup 6.0.5, but now it doesn't work anymore on my system, I don't know why, could you give a look at this please, I am not a programmer but I love Puppy
wifihotspotd.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  wifihotspotd.zip 
Filesize  201.8 KB 
Downloaded  60 Time(s) 
moi_classic2007

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2016, 08:52    Post subject:  

I finally found the answer myself!
The problem was: the channel for hostapd that I set was different to the channel that my wlan0 connected to internet.
By this article https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/software_access_point
My wifi card does not support for different channels.
So I fixed it and now it works.
This is my program, which plays as AP, wifi repeater for Tahrpup 6.0.5 for anyone who needs it.
Have a good day!
wifihotspotd.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  wifihotspotd.zip 
Filesize  177.03 KB 
Downloaded  61 Time(s) 
Atle

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2016, 18:36    Post subject:  

I have downloaded Tahrpup 6.05CE, and then done the things according to rcrsn51's instructions.

Then i downloaded the wifihotspotd.

But from there I am sort of stuck.

I wanted to see what your code does, but it does not provide to much information about what this does and is. And how to get it installed.

I did install the ipt-xxxxx.pet, but got no desktop icons nor nothing. No gui, no nothing.

Can we please share the secret of how to install this?

atle
Semme

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2016, 20:45    Post subject:  

Atle, if this is what you got running the masquerade command, then you'd need the kernel module:
Code:
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

There is no GUI.

Now rather than merely install this, what's your goal here?

Atle

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2016, 21:21    Post subject:  

First of all Semme. Congrats with you new avatar.

Well I like to explore the possibilites to make a Puppy that can be booted into the various things we see here, like Wlanmaker, Routermaker and their different setups. I like this development.

So in order to understand totally what this does I like to make it work and test it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jit7clirdnv2x3p/MobileInternetLinux.iso

I got some work done on this, but i had to abandon it for a while due to other things in life, but you can boot this one and see what is does and I do not aim at making stuff for people in Orlando or Paris, but more like Lusaka and Lagos.

The needs there are very different, but its impossible to understand unless one has lived under such circumstances.

I want to take networking to a new level where you can get things that serves a purpose there, but not in "our western broadband and rich world".

I like to have a Puppy that can boot into four modes and that would be as a Wifi AP with a captive portal and webserver, ERP, POS and what not, and as a router for the ethernet port and as i belive i look at here, as a wifi repeater(Is that not like a range extender)?

But the learning curve is hard for me as I do not understand how to code or are very far from being good at this. All i got is stamina.

atle
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2016, 06:08    Post subject:  

Thanks. The av is hopefully light-hearted enough.

==

As for your goals, I get the gist.

Did you need the kernel module? I'll assume you've got both the hostapd and dnsmasq-base pkgs installed.

You realize his "extender" scenario above relies on either TWO adapters or an additional wifi router.

He also states RM won't work with just any adapter.

So, your hw setup becomes particular if you plan on exploring any of the above routines.

slavvo67

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov 2016, 22:46    Post subject:  

I noticed i386 debs. I tried this on Quirky Xerus64 and it's not working. Did anyone get this working on a 64bit Puppy?
Semme

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov 2016, 07:21    Post subject:  

You need the masquerade module for your kernel. Get compiling!
Atle

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2017, 22:02    Post subject:  

@slavvo67

This will run very well on Fatdog64
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking
Jump to: