New Google Earth released.....

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

New Google Earth released.....

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Google Earth has received a massive new set of updated features:-

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/google-ear ... al-update/

It now runs exclusively in the browser; Google have taken the decision not to release further desktop clients. This does, however, demand the very latest version of Chrome, with WebGL-capable graphics.....and your system needs to have reasonably new graphics hardware, capable of 3D acceleration.

This does, unfortunately, mean that many Puppy boxes can no longer run the latest version of Google Earth. Existing desktop clients will, however, continue to work.

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

But the earth is now flat with edges. :shock: :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rufwoof

Re: New Google Earth released.....

#3 Post by rufwoof »

Mike Walsh wrote:It now runs exclusively in the browser; Google have taken the decision not to release further desktop clients. This does, however, demand the very latest version of Chrome, with WebGL-capable graphics.....and your system needs to have reasonably new graphics hardware, capable of 3D acceleration.
Hi Mike

I dropped Mint 18.1 iso into VirtualBox on my Debian Jessie frugal booted based system, booted that Mint and installed Chrome 57.1 by downloading the .deb and running dpkg -i *.deb, started google-chrome and added the google earth webgl extension and fired up the new google-earth ... but it said that the "browser was OK but for some reason webgl wont start". I had ticked the 3D acceleration VBox option, but guess my very dated graphics card (Nvidia GTX 8600 that is using Mesa instead of the nvidia drivers) isn't up to the task.

Was a big ask as I'm running a 2GB system, so only 1GB allocated to the VBox session which includes live-booting the mint iso ... etc.

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

bigpup wrote:But the earth is now flat with edges. :shock: :lol:
Promotional video and just for effect they obviously used a fishbowl lens :lol:

gjuhasz

Re: New Google Earth released.....

#5 Post by gjuhasz »

Mike Walsh wrote:It now runs exclusively in the browser; Google have taken the decision not to release further desktop clients. This does, however, demand the very latest version of Chrome, with WebGL-capable graphics.....and your system needs to have reasonably new graphics hardware, capable of 3D acceleration.

This does, unfortunately, mean that many Puppy boxes can no longer run the latest version of Google Earth. Existing desktop clients will, however, continue to work.:
No problem with the browser based version in Puli 6.1.0.

The new Google Earth runs smoothly in the following environment:

- HP 7700 machine, 3 GB memory
- AMD Radeon HD 4350, 256 MB
- Slimjet 4.0.1.0 beta (original slimjet_i386.deb package + codecs-opera-ffmpeg-extra-57.0.2987.98-1-i686.pet)

See another screenshot at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 343#952343

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
Google_Earth-Puli.jpg
(107.44 KiB) Downloaded 178 times