Netsurf 3.4

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
gjuhasz

Netsurf 3.4

#1 Post by gjuhasz »

I compiled netsurf 3.4

Download link:

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/

Runs fine in Puli (http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96964) Probably works with most of 32-bit puplets, too.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Edit on May 13, 2017: Now, the link points to the parent folder. I added ca-certificates to OscarTalks' version 3.6 (wheezy) and configured to run netsurf as spot by default.
Attachments
Netsurf--3.4.jpg
(78.93 KiB) Downloaded 1728 times
Last edited by gjuhasz on Sat 13 May 2017, 21:39, edited 4 times in total.

Pelo

Will Netsurf 3.4 succeed dowloading my ISO ? Wait and see.

#2 Post by Pelo »

Netsurf 3.4 with Legopen ( derivative Unicorn) installed
I write this message with your version. Thanks for having compiled this browser.
I was trying downloading an ISO.
Will Netsurf 3.4 succeed ? Wait and see.
Attachments
2012.png
New version will be welcome
(18.34 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
cruzer.jpg
Puli, Pelo on a cruzer 4GB
(5.68 KiB) Downloaded 882 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 03:28, edited 2 times in total.

gjuhasz

Re: Will Netsurf 3.4 succeed dowloading my ISO ? Wait and see.

#3 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:Netsurf 3.4 with Legopen ( derivative Unicorn) installed
I write this message with your version. Thanks for having compiled this browser.
I was trying downloading an ISO.
Will Netsurf 3.4 succeed ? Wait and see.
Tested with a puplet's ISO. Download was successful.
Netsurf is very fast. The only hiccup is that sometimes reports invalid SSL certificate.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz
Attachments
capture29977.png
(16.94 KiB) Downloaded 1556 times
capture31038.png
(16.35 KiB) Downloaded 1546 times

gjuhasz

Netsurf 3.5

#4 Post by gjuhasz »

I compiled netsurf 3.5 (dev version from git)

Download link:

http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/
Note that, in contrast to Chrome, Firefox and IE, this browser uses ca-certificates for checking https servers. Some puplets, such as tahr 6.0.5 CE contains this package by default. For Puli, you need to install it manually. See::
http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages/ca ... icates.pet

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Edit on May 13, 2017: New package available there. I added ca-certificates to OscarTalks' version 3.6 (wheezy) and configured to run netsurf as spot by default.
Last edited by gjuhasz on Sat 13 May 2017, 21:41, edited 2 times in total.

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello gjuhasz,

I did download your version 3.4 when you posted it, but it needed glibc 2.17 so did not run in Wheezy or Slacko 5.7

I managed to compile it in Wheezy which has glibc 2.13 so it should also work in Precise. I find that the git clone is version 3.6(dev) and this one and also the version 3.5 tarball has missing icons in the menu items. Not a major problem but just looks a bit wrong like that. The version 3.4 has blank spaces and just the text which looks better than the "missing" icon with the red cross.

Did you manage to compile with libharu PDF? That didn't work for me but maybe Netsurf now has its own PDF. There is a tab in the preferences.
EDIT:- From the Netsurf wiki:-
"Libharu appears to be abandonware -- Do we want to take it on, or do we want to drop it? Decision is to drop it for now, and worry about it again when we have paginating layout"

Seems quite nice for a small and light browser but need to do more testing.
Experimental build uploaded to http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
It seems to run fine in Precise
Also runs in Slacko 5.7 although there are some "no version information" messages in terminal.

I have compiled another build in Slacko 5.7 which now gets rid of the "no version information" messages in that Puppy.

Some of the documentation seems a bit old. There is talk of the resources being "compiled in" so I was trying to figure out what needs to be included in the package and what doesn't. Everything seems to work with none included but there is a warning window under the main one so for now I have added the resources in /usr/share/netsurf just to be on the safe side. Those menu icons are still missing though.
Oscar in England

peebee

Re: Netsurf 3.5

#6 Post by peebee »

gjuhasz wrote:Probably works with most of 32-bit puplets, too.
gjuhasz
Hi @gjuhasz

Thanks for these .pets - I've tried to run them in Slacko/Slackware based pups and get the errors below - believe this may be because you've compiled on a Debian/Ubuntu based system?

Would be nice to have them available for slackware based pups....would need compiling on slack for instance - the slacko version would probably be more generally applicable.

Cheers
peebee

Code: Select all

# netsurf
/opt/netsurf/nsgtk: /lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /opt/netsurf/nsgtk)
/opt/netsurf/nsgtk: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /opt/netsurf/nsgtk)
/opt/netsurf/nsgtk: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /opt/netsurf/nsgtk)
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

OscarTalks

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi peebee,

You might want to give my "compiled in Slacko 5.7" package a test run.
It runs in Slacko 5.7 and (tested briefly in) Slacko 6.3.0 without any of those "no version information available" error messages. I don't have any 14.2 distros to test as yet.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

My Makefile.config only has 2 overrides for PREFIX=/usr and to strip the binary.

Looks like gjuhasz's package runs in /opt by simulating running from the source tree (and launched via a script) which is one way of doing it.

My packages have a slightly different structure. Compiling with make install renames the main binary from nsgtk to netsurf and places it in the PATH in /usr/bin and the GTK resources are all installed under /usr/share/netsurf which is a default location where the binary looks for them.

I spoke to the devs about the stock gtk icons in the menu bar so they are aware of the issue.
Oscar in England

peebee

#8 Post by peebee »

OscarTalks wrote:Hi peebee,
You might want to give my "compiled in Slacko 5.7" package a test run.
Thanks @OscarTalks

Your netsurf-3.6dev-slacko5.7.pet works great with no error messages installed on LxPupSc (within the restrictions of what Netsurf is inherently capable of....)

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Pelo

Firefox is my choice ! included now by Puli

#9 Post by Pelo »

"I compiled netsurf 3.4."
Puli is part of my Puppy team this week. I add install Netsurf in my Gantt planner. I will feedback soon.
Palemoon is a browser with no trouble.. Not sure netsurf will do as well.
:( link is dead !
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 01 Oct 2016, 11:36, edited 5 times in total.

Pelo

netsurf ... 3.5 from Smokey packagerie

#10 Post by Pelo »

netsurf ... 3.5 from Smokey packagerie Jump to You Tube, first trial.
Google, You Tube are forbidden ? certificates pet downloaded. I want to go there ! Some leasure with Puppy for its passengers please let them enter.
Netsurf would be trashed right now if it continued to make me troubles.

:evil: trashed after 10 minutes of very boring questions to go to You Tube.. Palemoon is freedom :) Netsurf is USSR !
Attachments
youtube.jpg
QtWeb is really satisfaction, for light size.
(41.6 KiB) Downloaded 644 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 04:04, edited 2 times in total.

poorguy

Re: netsurf ... 3.5 from Smokey packagerie

#11 Post by poorguy »

Pelo wrote:netsurf ... 3.5 from Smokey packagerie Jump to You Tube, first trial.
Google, You Tube are forbidden ? certificates pet downloaded. I want to go there ! Some leasure with Puppy for its passengers please let them enter.
Netsurf would be trashed right now if it continued to make me troubles.

:evil: trashed after 10 minutes of very boring questions to go to You Tube.. Palemoon is freedom :) Netsurf is USSR !
Netsurf Kicks Ass.

Just because you don't like it don't make it evil.

Some peoples kids.

OscarTalks

#12 Post by OscarTalks »

I compiled the latest version from git.
It still shows as 3.6 (dev) but has lots of fixes and other commits including removal of the ugly red cross icons in the drop-down menus.
Wheezy version should be OK in Precise and maybe other later Ubuntu Puppies.
Slacko version might be OK in Slackos later than 5.7
Remember it is only a small and light browser so is not "fully featured".

UPDATE:- 19 November 2016
Version 3.6 now released
Packages updated.
Oscar in England

Pelo

The bride is not rich enough

#13 Post by Pelo »

French Slaxen 6.0 and hungarian unicorn Legopen are now married together. French provides kernel 3.4.94 with a driver for wireless outside home sweet home (rcrsn51 marriage gift)
netsurf gtk offered by hungarian is really weak for communication, so QtWeb has been mounted as Sfs on the fly, until new netsurf versions are installed from pets provided here by the Puppy Linux communauty : netsurf 3.5 and netsurf 3.6 for Slacko 5.7. Merci beaucoup pour ces offrandes Messieurs 8)
If the bride cannot surf to facebook and her friends, huuum, it could be the first reason of disputes
Poorguy, should we censure our negative feed-back ? QtWeb is perfect, that is positive. Wait and see for Netsurf 3.8.6.
Don't shot your testers :!: No dispute with gjuhasz until now. I Like Puli, and Legopen too. French users and Hungarian devs are cooperating successfully !
Attachments
2016.png
Installed, now being used (test bench)
(18.65 KiB) Downloaded 642 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Netsurf 3.6 Slacko 5.7 first install

#14 Post by Pelo »

# netsurf
netsurf: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

On check with my Linux maintenance staff, two symlinks to do > Done

Netsurf on screen :!:
# netsurf
Segmentation fault

End of test :?

gjuhasz

Re: Netsurf 3.6 Slacko 5.7 first install

#15 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:netsurf: error while loading shared libraries
Netsurf runs fine under Puli and the 32-bit non-PAE Tahrpup 6.0.5
I did not test it under other puplets.

Anyway, Netsurf is not a contender of Chromium flavors or Firefox. It is super fast and requires minimal resources. That's all.
Needs ca-certificates to handle the https protocol.
You can download my ca-certificates.pet package from http://smokey01.com/gjuhasz/packages folder.
After installed, you may run update-ca-certificates from a terminal window.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Edit on May 13, 2017: New package available there. I added ca-certificates to OscarTalks' version 3.6 (wheezy) and configured to run netsurf as spot by default.
Last edited by gjuhasz on Sat 13 May 2017, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Better would be to insert certificates in Puli..

#16 Post by Pelo »

Better would be to insert certificates your Puli.. When roots will understand that users don't want to Linux anything. Insert the CD and go.. Furthermore for browsing the web.
Reality : netsurf ask in English if you accept to go there (where you asked to go) ,
First you don't understand the questions
Second you always answer 'yes'. Why i should answer 'no' ?
Donn't be offensed by my opinion. I like Puli however. But my friends would not be able to use it.

gjuhasz

Re: Better would be to insert certificates in Puli..

#17 Post by gjuhasz »

Pelo wrote:Better would be to insert certificates your Puli.
Dear Pelo,

I learnt (and will learn) a lot from your comments and advice.
For example, I have built the certificates in the new Puli 6.1.0.
However, knowing that you have an earlier Puli version, in my above post I proposed you to download and run the ca-certificates package.

Although Netsurf is not among the supported browsers of Puli, I can assemble a package compatible with your Puli (Netsurf + certificates + libraries). Please tell me the name, size and creation date of your puppy_puli_6.x.x.sfs file. MD5 info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Have fun!

Regards,

gjuhasz

Last edited by gjuhasz on Sat 13 May 2017, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

#18 Post by keniv »

Is there a version that will run on the latest version of lucid 5287s2. I've tried the ones available but they are missing libraries. Also can anybody tell me how to install existing favourite bookmarks. It seems to be possible to export but not install.

Regards,

Ken.

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

netsurf 3.4 link in first post dead. Does anyone have any netsurf pets that run on SSE only cpus?

OscarTalks

#20 Post by OscarTalks »

I have 2 versions of Netsurf 3.6 compiled in Wheezy and Slacko 5.7
Not sure about the SSE status though, you will have to test that.
Oscar in England