tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#1661 Post by bigpup »

Sorry, I did not think it would be that easy to get VLC to do it automatically.

I wonder if this is the answer?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 061#793061
666philb will have to comment on this.
shinobar wrote: I made a wrapper script to make 'disable-screensaver' effective.
This is something 666philb may have done to earlier version of Tahrpup.

Not clear if he did this or if it worked.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jss83

#1662 Post by jss83 »

How can I try this? I mean where should I enter this code?

TIW

Tahrpup 6.0.5

#1663 Post by TIW »

Hi 666philb
i'm not in tahrpup at the mo but try this.......

grab the ubuntu package from here and install ..http://www.day-planner.org/download/ubuntu

then open the PPM (puppy package manager) and type into the find box and install....

libgtk2-perl
libany-moose-perl

then try running in a terminal
Hi 666philb I have downloaded, installed and tried to run "dayplanner" unsuccessfully. Even so, it registered on the menu it failed to run. Checking dependencies did not reveal anything. I am sorry . Any suggestions ? Thanks for you help. TIW

DAC324

how do I fix missing library?

#1664 Post by DAC324 »

Hello all,

How can I fix the error on Tahrpup 6.0.5
/usr/lib/chromium-browser-stable/chrome: error while loading shared libraries: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
?

Kind regards
DAC324

watchdog

#1665 Post by watchdog »

davids45

Fix missing lib file

#1666 Post by davids45 »

G'day DAC324,

Just in case you want to know what to do with the missing lib (libatomic.so.1) when you find a copy, it needs to be copied to the /usr/lib/ directory.

If the file you find has extra numbers after the ".so.1" then it's just a newer version of the basic library file and should be OK.
But for Slimjet to find it, either re-name the newer file to the older name or make a symlink called 'libatomic.so.1' to the new file once it is in the /usr/lib directory.

If you look in your /usr/lib/ directory, you will see plenty of links from newer lib files to the older name - it's the old name that a program looks for.

Happy hunting and good luck,

David S.

Robert123

#1667 Post by Robert123 »

Tahrpup 6.06 32bit Machine Emachines E625

Sound, video working well - though I had to set Acpi=off in menu.lst.
Internet with Frisbee works well. Browser Palemoon no problems noticed.

Full install Ext4. Grub4Dos.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

watchdog

#1668 Post by watchdog »

My raspberry was broken! I have been using it as TV-box to watch in TV long youtube videos like conferences of 1 hour and more. I was surprised when I attached the hdmi cable from the broken raspberry to a laptop near the TV set running puppy tahr-6.0.6: bingo! It dual displays the internet on the TV and the laptop's lcd. I'm happy.

DAC324

Re: Fix missing lib file

#1669 Post by DAC324 »

davids45 wrote:G'day DAC324,

Just in case you want to know what to do with the missing lib (libatomic.so.1) when you find a copy, it needs to be copied to the /usr/lib/ directory.

If the file you find has extra numbers after the ".so.1" then it's just a newer version of the basic library file and should be OK.
But for Slimjet to find it, either re-name the newer file to the older name or make a symlink called 'libatomic.so.1' to the new file once it is in the /usr/lib directory.

If you look in your /usr/lib/ directory, you will see plenty of links from newer lib files to the older name - it's the old name that a program looks for.

Happy hunting and good luck,

David S.
Thank you very much David.

I just wanted to get Chromium 57 running on Tahrpup 6.0.5.
Seems to be a problem that is harder than expected at first sight. Having apparently fixed the libatomic problem by now, Chromium throws another error when trying to start it:
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /lib/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a
This indicates that in TahrPup 6.0.5, at least libdbus and libglib-2 are too old. According to my research, the "missing version info" error usually indicates that the library on my system is older than the library the executable originally was linked to, and the undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a has been introduced in libglib2-2.41. But in TahrPup 6.0.5, there is only the version 2.0 of that lib which lacks this symbol. As glib is a central library, it apparently seems to be impossible to get Chromium running on TahrPup 6.0.5.
That's a real pity.

Kind regards,

DAC324

haywirepc

#1670 Post by haywirepc »

Facebook and some other sites are now crashing latest chrome and firefox browsers available from quickpet or repos. Chromium available from the repos also facebook and some other sites crash.

I tried installing the latest chromium sfs also, and get this error :

/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /lib/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)

I have been using puppy linux as my main desktop os for I think over 8 years. I hate to do so, but it looks like I'll be switching to mint or ubuntu. A stable browser is a pretty important thing. I really miss lucid puppy, everything just worked. I have spent ages on bug fixes and so many annoyances and problems with tahrpup. Now this browsers problem seems like the last straw for me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, calling
tahrpup 6.X or anything other than alpha is just wrong. Doesn't even
deserve 1.0 version numbering due to the many problems, bugs and
general annoyances involved with trying to use it effectively.

No offense to all involved here, but when a linux distro can't even provide an up to date stable browser, its really probably time to move on.

newpet

#1671 Post by newpet »

No offense to all involved here, but when a linux distro can't even provide an up to date stable browser, its really probably time to move on.
Tahrpup 32bit, eeePC atom n270 single core, Pale Moon last available version, nicely updated by its dedicated updater.
Standalone versions of the browser works perfectly as well.
Everything works smoothly and quickly as ever.
Facebook is even faster than on my win machine.
In a nutshell, the best OS I've ever had, far more responsive then any other I tried, and very stable.

I'm not sure why you are experiencing problems.
Maybe an hw thing?

_

bigpup

#1672 Post by bigpup »

The Linux Operating system has no control over the browser.
The developers of the browser have full control of their browser. :shock:
They changed it. :shock:
They changed what is needed to run it. :shock:

If the operating system now does not support the browser software.
It is up to the browser developers to tell people what is now needed to run their browser.

Same for web sites.
The people running the web site control what is needed to access the site.

I agree, Palemoon seems to be updating their browser and still giving good support to making sure it still works in the operating system.
YaPI(any iso installer)

number698

#1673 Post by number698 »

facebook crashing ? - seems ok running chrome Version 32.0.1700.77

i do see this message on facebook - 'For a better experience on Facebook, switch to our basic site or update your browser.'

so i've now switched to basic and it runs much easier on my slow lappy, so that's good to know.

mikeslr

Or try Slimjet 13.0.9.0

#1674 Post by mikeslr »

Hi haywirepc,

Try Slimjet 13.0.9.0 published a couple of days ago by OscarTalks, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 060#951060, based on Chromium 55 and, on the posts just after that link, reported to running well.

mikesLr

trlkly

perf top

#1675 Post by trlkly »

I apparently need perf top for some troubleshooting of one of my programs, but I can't figure out how to install it.

On Ubuntu, I would need to install the package linux-tools-<kernel_version>. But neither my current kernel version (3.14.20) nor any of the others available at http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... r/kernels/

Any clue on how I can get this program? I do have the package build-essential installed, if that will allow me to build from source.

mikeslr

#1676 Post by mikeslr »

hi trlkly,

googling "Ubuntu perf top" took me here" http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/wil ... top.1.html. Clicking the 14.04 LTS tab (=Trusty Tahr) displayed a link to linux-tools-common_3.13.0-24.46_all. "Perf top" is apparently part of that package. The "all" suggest to me either that it can be used under either 32 or 64 bit architecture or that the link would be to a Repo providing both. Clicking that took me here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+pa ... ols-common providing multiple choices/links. Scrolling took me to the last version maintained at Ubuntu's Security Repo: linux-tools-common 3.13.0-116.163 in i386 (Security). Clicking that took me here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/i38 ... .0-116.163 on the top right side of which page was the downloadable deb, linux-tools-common_3.13.0-116.163_all.deb with the representation that it was built under Trusty Tahr.

Clicking that downloaded it. As you know, under Tahrpup, clicking a "deb" will install it. I didn't install it, just unpacked it using UExtract. So I can confirm these files after installation will be found in /usr/bin: cpupower, perf, turbostat and x86_energy_perf_policy. These are all bash-scripts.

Before installing it, I would make a note of all the files contained in the deb, just in case its the wrong version and you have to manually uninstall them. Better still, as installation of the deb will write /usr/share/doc & man files you may not need, you may be better off unpacking the deb and just copying= installing the bash-scripts to /usr/bin and restarting X (graphical server) to test the package. But, it may require a reboot. Remember to Save. I'd test by opening a terminal @ /usr/bin and typing perf. But frankly, as I don't know what to expect, I don't know if that's sufficient.

mikesLr

bigpup

#1677 Post by bigpup »

In PPM (Puppy Package Manager)
Try a search for "linux-tools-common"

It should come up with one.

PPM searches the Ubuntu Trusty Tahr repositories.
YaPI(any iso installer)

trlkly

#1678 Post by trlkly »

So, basically, just try the latest version that's below my current kernel version, and see if it works? Doable, I guess. I'd rather do it running from pfix=ram, though, for testing purposes. No need to keep track of anything

Anyways, to address what others above me have mentioned:

I don't have any problem with Facebook crashing using the latest Firefox. I didn't get it from the repos or from sfs files, though. I just installed it straight from Mozilla themselves.

The only dependency I needed on a fresh Tahrpup 6.0.5 was gtk-3. I got it by installing roxterm from Puppy Package Manager, since it also requires gtk-3.

However, to get sound support, I also installed apulse. I compiled the latest version from source, which means I had to install build-essential from Puppy Package Manager. From there, you just run "apulse firefox" instead of "firefox."

If there's not a pet for the latest apulse, I can make one. I know all the necessary files.

artsown

#1679 Post by artsown »

@trikly

OscarTalks has provided both 32 and 64 bit apulse pets:
http://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

It would be nice if apulse is not installed since other browsers are
negatively affected. It should activate before Firefox is invoked and
deactivate when FF exits in some automatic fashion.

Actually, the latest version of palemoon is quite good, and I'm now
ready to abandon FF for the time being since I don't like chrome and
its derivatives. It's disgusting that the FF developers said "screw you"
to some Linux distros and left us searching for alternatives.

Art

trlkly

#1680 Post by trlkly »

His pets are 0.1.8, the first release to work on Firefox, and still has quite a lot of bugs, from audio glitching on some videos to messed up volume controls to just plain crashes.

Plus, well, they're not exactly easy to find, since it's not in the PET section of the forums. Instead, I found an even older version of apulse which doesn't work with Firefox at all. .

Apulse by default doesn't actually "install." You run any program that needs it through a wrapper script. That way it won't mess up any other programs that don't need it.

As for Pale Moon, they have recently added FFmpeg support (instead of using Gstreamer which never worked right on tahrpup), so I guess that is a viable option, too. I've not tried them, though. And they're gonna lose the ability to import in changes from Firefox soon, as Firefox is making breaking changes.

Anyways, I simply posted to say that Firefox does work just fine on Tahrpup, suggesting there is something else wrong with the guy who was having trouble. Maybe a bad PET, maybe something got configured badly, or maybe even hardware failure, like memory going bad.

As for apulse, I will post my pet, at the very least, so people can find it.