What tiling window managers do window decorations

Using applications, configuring, problems
disciple

What tiling window managers do window decorations

#1 Post by disciple »

I'm looking for tiling window managers that are usable with the mouse i.e. they have title bars and normal window decorations, and extra decorations or a right-click menu to control the tiling. FWIW I spectrwm (formerly scrotwm) is my reference for tiling functionality as it seems to work very intuitively, but it is only really designed for the keyboard, so doesn't do window decorations.

The closest options I have found:
- echinus
Maybe with sufficient configuration this will be OK. Using it from the keyboard it doesn't seem anywhere near as intuitive as spectrwm. It seems you really need to use the keyboard to use tiling mode (e.g. to switch a window to the master area). At least with the example config it only decorates the focused window (and not if it is maximised), which isn't very helpful (I guess sloppy focus is the answer for this, but I'm not keen on sloppy focus), and I can't immediately see how to unmaximise a window (N.B. its idea of maximise isn't compatible with e.g. lxpanel). Maybe the ourico taskbar is answer for unmaximising, but I'd expect it to be possible via the keyboard as well. Tags based, but a tag seems to be almost compatible with a normal virtual desktop (i.e. using something like lxpanel I can navigate the tags, but I can't move programs between the tags, or make them sticky).

- awesome
I believe this is the most feature complete (with lots of addons). I haven't tried it yet, and I didn't previously realise that it could decorate windows. Written and configured in lua! Uses tags instead of workspaces, which worries me, but I guess I need to try it before I can judge it.

- lunchboxwm
This one is designed to be used with the mouse rather than the keyboard (both is what I'm looking for). Interesting, but seems like it was never quite finished, and is pretty unintuitive (Resizing windows by dragging against a border is really annoying, and does each program really need its own workspace?). It doesn't really do true tiling - when you set a window to tile all it means is it will move to somewhere where it isn't overlapping any other "tiling" windows.

There are obviously forks of some of these, but does anyone know any other significant alternatives?

Thanks.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER