Puppy Linux UEFI boot EASY

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Limbomusic

Puppy Linux UEFI boot EASY

#1 Post by Limbomusic »

Edit: I made a webpage explaining this as clearly as possible:
http://helledussen.com/linux/files/UEFI ... e_usb.html
-------------------------------------
I thaught I would share something. I AM a teensy bit drunk on wine but I'm taking a chance on posting cause I found out something (cool for me anyway) yesterday.

Maybe all of u "real" puppy experts in here already know this - but I had a bit of a hard time finding out how to boot a puppy ISO (usb) from a PC with UEFI bios instead of legacy.

So I found THIS post: http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00009

Read it ! Its great :-)
I have 2 remastered puppies (slacko and tahr) - with my settings/programs installed which I make available on http://pissekult.com/linux/kjartans_puppy (for my norwegian geeky friends)

Anyway - to make any (to my knowledge) puppy ISO bootable with a PC with a UEFI bios - you just use a windows PC... and download the puppy ISO of choice - then just doubleclick the ISO - and copy the four files:

* vmlinuz
* initrd.gz
* puppy_slacko/tahr_whatever.sfs
* zdrv_slacko/tahr_whatever.sfs

to the root of a freshly formatted (fat32) USB flash drive. Then just make a folder called "EFI" and a "boot" folder inside that. (EFI/boot) and then just put this file:
http://helledussen.com/linux/files/bootx64.efi inside it.
Make a file called "grub.cfg" in the root of the flashdrive with this text:

menuentry "Start whateverYOuwant" {

linux /vmlinuz

initrd /initrd.gz

}

Now u can boot the usb drive as a recognizable uefi boot device, no prob! :-)

I read a lot of stuff online/in forums about puppy linux not being able to boot on uefi PC s but thats bollox :-)

(moderators are welcome to delete this drunken message if nesecary)

CHEERS u lot ;-)

Kind regards
Kjartan
Last edited by Limbomusic on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

Limbomusic

oh

#3 Post by Limbomusic »

Just thaught of another thing.

With the above mentioned option/method - there is no need for a ISO file at all - I HAVE tried it already - u can just make a .zip file of the beforementioned four customized (or not) files. (with (EFI/boot and the bootx64 file) - and just copy everything to a blank usb flash drive - works like a charm. (WHEN i,VE TRIED IT ANYWAY) OOH caps lock.. off. heheh.

hooppsydaisy
Last edited by Limbomusic on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

Limbomusic

ally

#4 Post by Limbomusic »

?? I,m actually mirrored somewhere?
Didnt know that. What an honor !
Thank you Ally !
Last edited by Limbomusic on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

Limbomusic

Drunk again but

#5 Post by Limbomusic »

To make any puppy bootable on a UEFI pc:
Use a pc with windows 8 or 10.

Format a USB flash drive with default settings (fat32).

Download the preferred ISO puppy linux file.

Doubleclick on it - and copy the files:
* vmlinuz
* initrd.gz
* puppy_slacko/tahr_whatever.sfs
* zdrv_slacko/tahr_whatever.sfs

to the USB flash drive.

On the USB drive, make a folder called "EFI" and a folder INSIDE called "boot". (EFI/boot)

Download the files "bootx64.efi", and "grub.cfg".
They can be downloaded here:
http://helledussen.com/linux/files/UEFI_boot/

Copy the file "bootx64.efi" to the USB drive's "EFI/boot" folder.
Copy the file "grub.cfg" to the root of the USB flash drive.

Boot the PC from USB flash drive.

If u dont know what what key to press check
http://helledussen.com/linux/docs/boot_ ... _uefi.html

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

But why the need to use a Windows PC? I don't see any steps there that look impossible on Linux. Did you try it from Linux?
Let me know when u sober up :-)
cheers!

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

Well it might be to get into the machine in the first place if it is UEFI based.!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Limbomusic

yes

#8 Post by Limbomusic »

I finally sobered up :-) Yes, you can of course do it from a linux machine :-) Same procedure -to just copy the four files from the ISO to the flash-drive.

You can also have your own splash-image and fancy colors on the text in the grub2-menu - u can check out my grub.cfg file at
http://helledussen.com/linux/files/UEFI_boot/
As long as you use a .png image u can even use a full color one (like the one I use in my grub.cfg file (check out yeah.png in the "my_grub_cfg_file" folder) It just needs to be RGB instead of indexed (I dont know much about that but its easily done in mtPaint)

Oh and another thing - - For the most part this is not a concern but I have come across that windows sometimes shortens and converts the file-names from the ISO to capital letters - if this happens u need to rename them to their appropriate filenames, and if its hard to figure out the names - u can use rufus to create normal MBR bootable usb flash drive from the downloaded ISO, and just copy the 4 files from there)
Last edited by Limbomusic on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

Limbomusic

oh and

#9 Post by Limbomusic »

Oh and a funny story:
Apparently I,m a bit slow on the uptake. I,ve been using puppy linux for a couple of years now and to get into my shared computers on the network - I have always used YASSM-search. But lo and behold - all this time there was a happy little folder called "network" in HOME.... with a little application called "scan network" - wow - lol - and it asks username/passwords for the shares -boom badabing - and hey! - Theyre automatically mounted when I boot the PC (as long as u have a save-file of course) ! Apparently I missed that marvelous feature for all this time. ;-)

I just love Puppy Linux and may The Buddha bless the developers with hugs and kisses.

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

For the most part this is not a concern but I have come across that windows sometimes shortens and converts the file-names from the ISO to capital letters
That was a feature of older Windows before long file name support - and even then it only affected files WRITTEN by Windows and those displayed by a system that did not have long file name support turned on.
Windows has always, by default, displayed names in upper case. This is a hangover from the days when teletypes and such only had upper case characters because of the lack of space on golf balls for two sets.
Also print chains needed to be as short as possible before parallel printers were developed, and even then the size of each print posiition had to be minimised.

Limbomusic

hey man

#11 Post by Limbomusic »

hey and cheers :-) Thanx for the explanation Burn It :-) Yeah I dont know much about that - it just suddenly happened one day, and I had to rename everything. - Can I ask u a question? Have u tried the 64 bits versions of slacko and /or tahr? - I have and - on tahr - I got a weird hangup/freeze when saving images from browser (it hangs, like, takes a long time - and then - everythings fine) - but this never happens on a 32 bit puppy.

altho - upon further thinking. - well, it happens all the time on a lenovo ideapad (wifi-fairly new one) so I cant really run a 64 bit puppy on that one but this does NOT happen on a 5 year old cheap gaming pc (eth). any thoughts ?

EDIT 7 aug 2017:
All these problems fixed by updating kernel from the VERY buggy and unstable 4.1.11 to 4.9.x (13 or 30 - both awesome)
Last edited by Limbomusic on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

Limbomusic

oh and

#12 Post by Limbomusic »

It seems I spoke too soon about the network folder in HOME.
Suddenly it doesnt work when I click a network share.
But if I go thru yassm share - it DOES.

I,m not a linux OR puppy expert, but - it seems to me that there are a couple of bugs in 64 bit versions. (?)

AM now gonna try out a trusty old 32 bit version on this machine (a blazing good but cheap gaming stationary pc with standard hd and 8 gb ram)

brb.

rcrsn51

Re: yes

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

Limbomusic wrote:For the most part this is not a concern but I have come across that windows sometimes shortens and converts the file-names from the ISO to capital letters - if this happens u need to rename them to their appropriate filenames, and if its hard to figure out the names - u can use rufus to create normal MBR bootable usb flash drive from the downloaded ISO, and just copy the 4 files from there)
There is an README.HTM file in the ISO that explains this situation.

If you build a Puppy ISO using the Joliet extensions, Windows will see the full filenames.

Limbomusic

aha

#14 Post by Limbomusic »

thanx rcrsn51 :-)

Joliet extensions. okay. ;-) http://helledussen.com/mp3/Limbomusic/2 ... e_away.mp3

I put (my customized .zip/with uefiboot) with kernel4 but 32 bit version of tahr on a usb-stick and so far the "network" folder mounts all my shares just fine (after reboot/new save file of course)

And. everything just works. any thoughts anyone? ARE there some cute bugs in 64 bits versions ?

Burn_IT

#15 Post by Burn_IT »

I can't help with 64bit stuff just yet as I've only just aquired a machine that is new enough and haven't had much time to play.

Limbomusic

thats cool

#16 Post by Limbomusic »

Tahts cool :-) I have done some testing on various pc s and MY verdict is that there ARE some bugs - with 64 bit - NOT 32 bits. but I,m not sure to post anything except here. (people could get angry, and kill me, and I dont want that to happen)

https://youtu.be/WTCE812gohk

kisses u ;-)

Limbomusic

yeah

#17 Post by Limbomusic »

Yeah. The problem disrcibed before in earlier tidings does NOT happen on a 32 bit pup.
( I just woke up with my knickers around my head)

So my earlier description of events DO indeed stand against the tides of time.
cheerio miss sophies

ticthak

UEFI hell

#18 Post by ticthak »

So, I fell down Hell's spiral staircase this week with a Dell laptop- the UEFI firmware won't accept any other media without the HDD in place, and the HDD won't even boot into RE after the customer tried to do a factory restore. All of the partitions and files look correct, and I ran the typical repair-console commands externally. It even looks like it has the original factory recovery partition. It will not boot off the optical drive or any other USB bootable I've tried. Now I will try this.
On the plus side, I've jimmied the HDD enough to get the POST to failover into a "Process1 initialization failed" screen without simply POSTing to the UEFI screen as was the situation the customer brought to me.
I have a extensive post on Steemit about this(I'm trying to wean myself off the Book of Face).

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

the UEFI firmware won't accept any other media without the HDD in place
Tried it with secure boot disabled in the UEFI bios?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#20 Post by bigpup »

The Puppies now being released as UEFI versions are now setup as stated in this topic.
A little different names for the needed files for UEFI booting, but the same method as stated in this topic.

Example:
Tahr6.0.6uefi
Attachments
capture30012.png
(35.88 KiB) Downloaded 905 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)