SlimJet 64-bit SFS packages

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
orrin

#101 Post by orrin »

Hi Mike,

I reverted to the 13.0.7.0 version! The new one would not play the live
video content on Bloomberg or Fox. Also some YouTube channels would
not play, like the live SkyNews feed.

It looks like mp4 support is needed for the sites I visit.
13.0.7.0 does support mp4!
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

mikeslr

Still possibly improper shutdown

#102 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

Of the web-browsers based on the blink engine, Slimjet remains my favorite as it has the best bookmarking tools. I still, however, can't use it.

I reported previously that it had what I suspected as a problem with not shutting down cleanly. Of course, the only way that becomes obvious is when you want to open it again. Sometimes it takes 20 or so seconds. Sometimes it won't open until I restart-X (AKA graphical server) and sometime an entire reboot is necessary. My understanding is that restaring-x should have killed all running processes. But, apparently some used by slimjet hang on. (Failure to re-open seems to be more prevalent in Tahrpup64 than Xenialpup64).

It finally occurred to me to examine what processes were running after Slimjet shuts down. I've attached a screenshot. But it gets worse. Either I stopped scrolling too soon before taking the shot or the next time I opened pprocess manager after trying to start slimjet a couple more times, more instances of the same processes (plus perhaps some others) appeared.

I wonder if starting the flashpeak-slimjet wrapper with "kill" commands --one for each of the "ghost" processes-- would help?

If I'm the only one still experiencing this problem, can you save me some searching time by indicating an example code to kill a process?

Thanks,

mikesLr

P.S. Using version 13.0.9.0, I don't have orrin's problem with mp4 vids. Those from bloomberg work OK after following the instructions. That Fox is having difficulty reaching an audience is a plus. :lol:
Attachments
slimjet.png
Running processes after Slimjet is closed
(33.74 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

orrin

Re: Still possibly improper shutdown

#103 Post by orrin »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Mike,

Of the web-browsers based on the blink engine, Slimjet remains my favorite as it has the best bookmarking tools. I still, however, can't use it.

I reported previously that it had what I suspected as a problem with not shutting down cleanly. Of course, the only way that becomes obvious is when you want to open it again. Sometimes it takes 20 or so seconds. Sometimes it won't open until I restart-X (AKA graphical server) and sometime an entire reboot is necessary. My understanding is that restaring-x should have killed all running processes. But, apparently some used by slimjet hang on. (Failure to re-open seems to be more prevalent in Tahrpup64 than Xenialpup64).
I had the same problem until I cleared out some of the stuff from the browsing area. Now it opens quickly after a shutdown!
Using Slacko 64-6.3.2
Attachments
Screenshot(1).jpg
(36.08 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Mike Walsh

#104 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Mike/orrin.

In all honesty, I've discovered the same thing that everybody else has that's ever tried to re-package Chrome/Chromium/SlimJet at al for the Puppians; it's as noisy as hell in the terminal.....and it's always complaining about something!

Personally, I do the same as you, if it proves reluctant to start; I restart 'X'. 99 times out of 100, it works.

There's one little trick you could try. Create a small bash script in Geany, and place it in /root/Startup, which goes like this:-

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
flashpeak-slimjet --silent-launch &
I got the idea for it from ETP, in his original v.1 release of 'Chromebook Pup', in which he was attempting to emulate the extremely rapid start-up of a Chromebook. It works because it makes use of just one of the multitude of command-line 'switches' you can incorporate into the exec-line of the Chromium-based browsers' wrapper scripts. His original was:-

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
google-chrome --silent-launch &
It works just as well for SlimJet (and Iron!) as it does for Chrome; just change 'google-chrome' for the executable of whichever browser you're trying this with.

It does seem to cut down greatly on the number of 'false starts' you get with 'em. Just make sure to make it executable. It'll work for either 32- or 64-bit Pups, 'cos the name of the executable is still the same. And if you run more than one of these browsers, just create one of these scripts for each one, with the name of the appropriate executable.

In essence, it causes Chromium/Chrome/whatever to 'launch' at startup......without actually opening! (If that makes any kinda sense...) I won't guarantee it'll work for you.....bit it seems to work for me.

If you're interested in trying some of this stuff out, the full list of command-line 'switches' for the wrapper script's exec-line can be found here:-

http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-co ... -switches/

I'll warn you now; it's a bloody long list..! There are hundreds and hundreds of these things, and it gives a wee bit of insight into just how complex Chrome/Chromium's code really is.

Let me know if that helps at all.

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#105 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks orrin and the other Mike,

I'll try both. :)

Orrin, you live in one of the most beautiful areas of our country; and nicest even if it's in a "Red State". :wink: I've frequently suggested to my wife that relocate there. At first, I was serious. Now, it's mostly to tease her. She's an inveterate "New Yorker" who, when we first met, joked about needing a passport to come to New Jersey. Or maybe she wasn't joking. :?

mikesLr

orrin

#106 Post by orrin »

mikeslr wrote:Thanks orrin and the other Mike,

I'll try both. :)

Orrin, you live in one of the most beautiful areas of our country; and nicest even if it's in a "Red State". :wink: I've frequently suggested to my wife that relocate there. At first, I was serious. Now, it's mostly to tease her. She's an inveterate "New Yorker" who, when we first met, joked about needing a passport to come to New Jersey. Or maybe she wasn't joking. :?

mikesLr
We are originally from Long Island.... its a heck of a lot nicer here than
there! Check out this slideshow:

http://gallery.orrin.org/video/nw_nevada.htm

Mike Walsh

#107 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 14.0.2.0 now available***

Evening, all.

The current stable release, 14.0.2.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 25.0.0.148.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As stated in the last couple of posts, I don't usually bother with one release straight after another, but, once again, I'm making an exception.....we are, after all, marking the release of a new series!

New stuff in this release:-

https://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

The previously-mentioned modified version of libffmpeg.so is, once again, included in both locations. 14.0.2.0, just like its predecessor, refuses to work with the included versions of libnss3.so & libnss3utils.so, so.....they've been dispatched again. Slimmie seems happy to pick up the system versions anyway, so I can't quite figure out why Flashpeak have gone to the trouble of adding extra 'weight'.

Once again, NetFlix works fine with this release, so.....enjoy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iguleder's (peebee-modified) libpuppygc.so module has been pressed into service with this release, since Flashpeak have jumped straight from 55 to 57; Chrome 56 was where all the 'root' aggravation re-surfaced, so; it's not like I wasn't expecting it...! :roll: :)

It may not be as elegant a solution as Phil B's 'bbe' thingy that Oscar has been using to great effect with the sandboxes in the 32-bit releases, but hey! It works.....and that's the whole point of the excercise, after all. (And it only adds an extra 7 kb to the total. I can live with that!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which brings me to the final point. I've included a small modification with this release. The previously-mentioned 'silent-launch' feature has been added to /root/Startup; if you look in /root/Startup, you'll find a new script, entitled 'silent_launch_slimjet'. What this effectively does is to launch SlimJet at boot, without 'opening' it; rather along the same lines as how modern Windoze works with hibernation and Fast Startup; it essentially holds it in 'standby-mode' until you launch from either desktop launcher or Menu entry. Upon doing so, it starts almost instantly.

If you don't want to make use of this, or wish to disable it, simply delete it from /root/Startup (or comment out the second line).

That's it! Any probs, give us a shout.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 26 Apr 2017, 21:00, edited 2 times in total.

orrin

#108 Post by orrin »

Hi Mike,

Is MP4 supported in 14.0.1.0? If not, I will stick with the older version!

Mike Walsh

#109 Post by Mike Walsh »

Nah; wouldn't bother, mate. Just tried Bloomberg and Fox in 14.0.2.0, which came out just a few hours ago;. It'll play the live Fox stuff.....but Bloomberg sits there grinning at you with a big blank space where it ought to be showing you a video feed. Doesn't want to know...

I did hear somewhere that Bloomberg were cozying up to MyCrudSoft, so it's quite on the cards that there'll be a strongly-worded 'love-letter' somewhere in the works that'll be suggesting only Edge should be 'allowed' to play their stuff.....

Mike. :twisted:

orrin

#110 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:Nah; wouldn't bother, mate. Just tried Bloomberg and Fox in 14.0.2.0, which came out just a few hours ago;. It'll play the live Fox stuff.....but Bloomberg sits there grinning at you with a big blank space where it ought to be showing you a video feed. Doesn't want to know...

I did hear somewhere that Bloomberg were cozying up to MyCrudSoft, so it's quite on the cards that there'll be a strongly-worded 'love-letter' somewhere in the works that'll be suggesting only Edge should be 'allowed' to play their stuff.....
Thanks for the reply... everything plays OK in 13.0.7.0 so I will stick with it.
The latest version of Chrome also plays everything!

Mike Walsh

#111 Post by Mike Walsh »

Oh, well, there you go! As long as something's behaving itself... :lol:

I say, I just realised it couldn't have been the live streaming feeds for Bloomberg or Fox that I was watching. For one, you have to be a US resident.....and for another, with some digging around on their sites, it appears you have to 'purchase' an app that will allow you to down-stream their live feeds.

So I've NO idea what I was watching, but I'm guessing it definitely wasn't the live feed..... :roll: :oops: :lol:

orrin

#112 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:Oh, well, there you go! As long as something's behaving itself... :lol:

I say, I just realised it couldn't have been the live streaming feeds for Bloomberg or Fox that I was watching. For one, you have to be a US resident.....and for another, with some digging around on their sites, it appears you have to 'purchase' an app that will allow you to down-stream their live feeds.

So I've NO idea what I was watching, but I'm guessing it definitely wasn't the live feed..... :roll: :oops: :lol:
The live feed for Fox requires that you have a US Cable subscription.
Bloomberg on the other hand, does not. I generally look at the
Asian feed from Bloomberg here https://www.bloomberg.com/live/asia
On that page there is a selection for other feeds!

There is also short test files for a few video formats at:
http://techslides.com/sample-webm-ogg-a ... -for-html5

Mike Walsh

#113 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, orrin.

I've just tried those test slides in 32-bit Slimmie 14.0.2.0, and MP4, WebM and Ogg all played okay.....as did the HTML5 variant. I wasn't fussed about the 3GP and FLV variants, but clicked on them anyway; for some reason, they wanted to download rather than play in the browser.

When I next go into Tahr64 or Slacko 64, I'll run them through again in 64-bit 14.0.2.0, and let you know the result.

Mike Walsh

#114 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, orrin.

To give you a definitive answer, yes; MP4 is very definitely supported in the 64-bit '14'-series. I've just run those test slides through in 64-bit 14.0.2.0.....and the same ones play as played in the 32-bit variant.

So now you know..! :D

orrin

#115 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi again, orrin.

To give you a definitive answer, yes; MP4 is very definitely supported in the 64-bit '14'-series. I've just run those test slides through in 64-bit 14.0.2.0.....and the same ones play as played in the 32-bit variant.

So now you know..! :D
I installed version 14 and so far it works OK.... but is there a way to change that 'left-hand' pointer? It also exists in the latest Chrome!

Mike Walsh

#116 Post by Mike Walsh »

You've lost me.

'Left-hand' pointer..? Not sure what you mean..... :?

Are you referring to the cursor?

orrin

#117 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:You've lost me.

'Left-hand' pointer..? Not sure what you mean..... :?

Are you referring to the cursor?
If that's what you call it :)
When the mouse pointer hovers over a link, it changed to a tiny left
hand. Is there a way to change it to some other image?

Mike Walsh

#118 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah. Okay.

It sounds as though you're using the stock cursors. What you need is some cursor 'themes'..!

If you download this .pet from here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i95s2ju81 ... es-1-1.pet

...it'll give you coupla dozen different cursor themes to choose from. You're in Slacko64 6.3.2, aren't you? Install it, then go to Menu->Desktop->Desktop Settings; then, under 'Theming', you'll find a sub-section for 'Mouse Pointer'.....that's where you'll find them. I use 'Polar Cursors'; it's a nice, neat theme that's actually standard on a fair number of Linux distros. Have a play around with 'em, and see what you like. There's the option to return to the 'original' Puppy theme if you want to.

orrin

#119 Post by orrin »

I looked a bit at the 'theme' section and tried another theme. I do not like it but can't find a way to return to the default theme!

Update: I got back to my original desktop.....
I tried to delete this post, but saw no way to do it!

Update #2: I installed the cursor file and selected a mouse pointer that I
like.... don't remember which one it was...!

Thanks Mike.

Mike Walsh

#120 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 14.0.6.0 now available***

Evening, all.

The current stable release, 14.0.6.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the newest version of Pepper, released yesterday afternoon; 25.0.0.171.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New stuff in this release:-

https://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

NetFlix is still working fine with this release, so.....enjoy. :D

The previously-mentioned 'silent-launch' feature has been added to /root/Startup; if you look in /root/Startup, you'll find a new script, entitled 'silent_launch_slimjet'. What this effectively does is to launch SlimJet at boot, without 'opening' it; rather along the same lines as how modern Windoze works with hibernation and Fast Startup; it essentially holds it in 'standby-mode' until you launch from either desktop launcher or Menu entry. Upon doing so, it starts almost instantly. :)

If you don't want to make use of this, or wish to disable it, simply delete it from /root/Startup (or comment out the second line).

Any problems, let me know.....and we'll see what we can do.