PSA: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support ended April 28th 2017!

For discussions about security.
bark_bark_bark

PSA: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support ended April 28th 2017!

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support ended April 28th 2017! II suggest you migrate way from precise-based pups if you are using them.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Surely that in itself is irrelevant to Puppy users.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

souleau

#3 Post by souleau »

From my cold, infested hands!

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

I would think in large part this is going to depend to what extent you've installed stuff from the Ubuntu repos.

Although I run 571, just about all of my software is packages either from various places on the Forum, or stuff I've run up and/or re-packaged myself. And in any case, I have to agree with Burn_IT. I really don't see what it's got to do with Puppy; Canonical dropping support is hardly going to have any major impact on Pup...

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

I run Lucid 5.2.8 still on several machines.....still have not had a single security issue. Matter of fact running several web servers exposed 24/7 to the wild world of the Internet on UPUP 3.9.9.2 .....nothing...nada...nichts. server has been down 3 times in 4 years due to power outages, one during a Hurricane. The Tahr based servers most running ZoneMinder some exposed directly to the Internet....still nothing. Even if I take a machine out for a stroll like Xenialpup or Tahr64 and go crazy looking and probing corners some darker than others....so far not dragged home anything...lucky I guess..or Puppy Linux is pretty resilient and so bizarre in structure and mostly running on old hardware that the newest code in the newest mal-ware ransom ware may not find a foothold unless we make one a PET.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support ended April 28th 2017!
All that is telling you is Ubuntu is not going to spend the time and effort trying to fix bugs or make it support specific newer hardware.
Not going to try and give it new features or improvements.

People have some strange idea that Puppy is tied to Ubuntu and what Ubuntu does.

Puppy does us software from Ubuntu repositories.
However, it is far from being Ubuntu.
From these Ubuntu repositories. Puppy gets the basic, common software, needed to run a Linux operating system.
Every Linux operating system needs these.
Why spend time compiling this stuff, when Ubuntu has already done it.
They have the people to bug fix and test it.
That stuff is only a small part of Puppy.

The vast majority of a Puppy version is Puppy specific coded programs and files.

The only real reason to update, to a newer version of Puppy, is to get the needed support files/programs for the newest hardware, you may have.

That is also the biggest reason to move to a newer version of any Linux operating system.

Sometimes the core operating system files/programs need to be updated.
Improvements to how they operate, newer programs need newer versions to work, etc....

If it is not broken, do not try to fix it. :shock:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigpup wrote:If it is not broken, do not try to fix it. :shock:
I simply could not agree more. And with rockedge, too.

Most of the last couple of years, I've spent running fairly modern Pups. They run very well, rejuvenating a couple of fairly elderly boxes.

I've recently got an install of Racy 5.5 fully fettled and working just how I want it. And you know what? It might be an older Pup.....but it is running that sweetly, it's rapidly becoming my 'daily driver'.....taking over from Tahrpup, which I've been with since the week it was released, in Nov '14.

With the exception of the rather old glibc (which necessitates some interesting workarounds..!), it does absolutely everything I want (including running a shed-load of Windoze 'portable apps' under WINE; flawlessly, too..!)

I'm very impressed...

Moat

#8 Post by Moat »

bigpup wrote:Puppy does use software from Ubuntu repositories.
Hmmm... the biggest bummer, then, would appear to be the pulling off-line of Precise repos - or from what I've been able to Google up, the migration of the repos to elsewhere. Our beloved Precise Pup PPM's are going to soon "break"! :cry: Looks like this will require some PPM config tweaks and a little research to find out where they've moved to...

I've never even thought about this. Reasonably do-able, I wonder? Is this what has been done with earlier Upups (like Lucid, for example)?

I love my Precise Pups!! :? Barry's final, "traditional" Puppy masterpiece.

Bob

rockedge

#9 Post by rockedge »

When UPUP 3.9.9.2 became older the repos moved. A small change to the urls in the DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS and the PPM was fixed. I think adding this

Code: Select all

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/
to the urls will eventually also work for Precise

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Mike Walsh wrote:
bigpup wrote:If it is not broken, do not try to fix it. :shock:
I simply could not agree more. And with rockedge, too.

Most of the last couple of years, I've spent running fairly modern Pups. They run very well, rejuvenating a couple of fairly elderly boxes.

I've recently got an install of Racy 5.5 fully fettled and working just how I want it. And you know what? It might be an older Pup.....but it is running that sweetly, it's rapidly becoming my 'daily driver'.....taking over from Tahrpup, which I've been with since the week it was released, in Nov '14.

With the exception of the rather old glibc (which necessitates some interesting workarounds..!), it does absolutely everything I want (including running a shed-load of Windoze 'portable apps' under WINE; flawlessly, too..!)

I'm very impressed...

Only using Racy 5.5 these days. Need newer glibc mainly if you want to run the latest browsers (not worried about the other standard applications which in my view do not really improve with newer versions) Got the standard base sfs down to 105MB with maximum xz compression. Very responsive little Puppy.

rockedge

#11 Post by rockedge »

you know because a mention of Racy 5.5 I realized I have never tried it out....well I did now..... and this OS performs really really well on my dual core Dell laptop. Racy is fast.

Moat

#12 Post by Moat »

rockedge wrote: A small change to the urls in the DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS and the PPM was fixed.
Thanks, rockedge - that sounds easy enough. Apparently it'll take a month or three before the official repositories make their move...

Bob

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Moat wrote:
rockedge wrote: A small change to the urls in the DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS and the PPM was fixed.
Thanks, rockedge - that sounds easy enough. Apparently it'll take a month or three before the official repositories make their move...

Bob
Sounds about right. In fact, I downloaded a few bits'n'bobs from the Precise repo yesterday; as of the moment, it's still working fine. Image

belham2

#14 Post by belham2 »

Hi Mike, Moat, Rockedge & all,

Went to look for my old Racy 5.5 CD after reading this thread, and , of course, it's disappeared into thin air. :roll: Outside of Ally's repo, where are you guys downloading MAR--2013 Racy 5.5 RC2 from? I went to Barry's thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=150

...and every link from Barry's was "Forbidden 404:...". Then I remembered a year or few years or so ago Barry had moved everything, and I'll be danged if I can find it right now. What's his link for Racy 5.5 RC2 final version that he talks about in the thread? Is it still on Ibiblio? I cannot find it, though at the moment I wouldn't find my head if it wasn't attached. Been one of those weeks.

Thanks.

[UPDATE; ok, at least some of the blonde-ness for the week fell out of my head. I found it at ibiblio:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/racy-5.5/

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, belham2.

Yah, it's the same as Precise; in the 'Quirky' folder. Not the automatic location you'd think of to find it...

In fact, the more I compare 571 and 5.5, the more similar in so many ways they appear to be..... :lol: