xenial64 to win7 printing amd control.

Using applications, configuring, problems
boof

xenial64 to win7 printing amd control.

#1 Post by boof »

My xenial64 7.x.x.x is working as a full install. I have another machine with win 7 64 basic. The kbrd and mouse are u/s. I have a Printer Fuji-Xerox P115W which has no linux driver of its own, but worked ok with the 32bit Brother HL1050-hl1250.ppd . I think I want to daisy chain the linux computer to the windows computer to the printer with linux computer controling the windows computer. It's not efficient, but it's the best I can do. The data connection between computers will be by ethernet cable (X-over?) My internet is already run off a usb ethernet modem Huawei E3372 using the cdc-ether module. I am downloading a 32bit -64bit compatibility sfs, in the hope it will run my printer ppd, but if not, I have to get my proposal working, which I have no idea how to do. I assume I need some software on both machines. pls advise in detail how to do this.

boof

#2 Post by boof »

32bit compatibility program does NOT operate printer in this case. Printer LED does flash with data transfer, but printer mechanics do not start. Jobs says "completed". Default options are the ones that used to work in 32 bit puppy.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Have a look here, boof. This might be what you're looking for:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60474

Having helped Bill to refine the p910nd Print Server a while back, I can confirm that it definitely works well. You just need to follow the instructions in the first post to the letter. They're not hard; just takes a bit of working through, that's all.

It neatly side-steps many of CUPS' little 'foibles'.

Mike. :wink:

boof

#4 Post by boof »

would wine help, using the windows XP driver?

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Unfortunately not. WINE doesn't seem to work like that.....and doesn't have the required driver support to emulate USB connections. I run a few Windows graphics apps under WINE, and although they will output to the printer, stuff seems to get 'lost in the system', and takes an age to get there.

The print server I've linked you to was redeveloped when it was because I'd found that 64-bit printer installs just wouldn't work with the 'buntu-based Tahr64. With Xenialpup also being a 'buntu-based version, it's quite on the cards that you've got the same problem I had.

p910ND is distro-agnostic. It doesn't care what you're running, it's simply a small daemon which 'listens' on a particular port for anything coming in from the CUPS server.....and then routes it accordingly, bypassing much of the standard CUPS protocol in the process.

Works for me, anyway. Just a thought.

Mike. :wink:

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is the Windows computer already on some kind of network, or is it standalone?

Before you even consider the printer issue, you need to get both computers on a common network.

This might be as simple as connecting their Ethernet ports with a cross-over cable, then assigning each machine an IP address on the same subnet.

You don't need to install ANY additional software on the Linux computer, except for a print server like p910nd.

However, the Windows computer will need the Windows driver for your Fuji-Xerox. But it should be available.

If all you want to do is share the printer, it might be simpler to get a 2-1 USB switch box.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

@boof: No reply?

boof

#8 Post by boof »

had to download the 64 bit file from the discussion, not ppm! seems ok. haven't got cable yet. Progress!!

boof

#9 Post by boof »

Installed cable, but can't progress it. cable is std ethernet, as X-over cables claimed obsolete by store. Hopefully my 2015 HP will sort the connection. the online CUPS screens to install the printer are inaccessable. I no longer have the setup screen for p?910nd under Menu. I doubt it was setup correctly. I guess I should try and print something.....but I can't. pls advise, and do I have to do anything to the win computer to make it print, other than wake on LAN if it's a laptop and closed?

boof

#10 Post by boof »

can I use a virtual win7 to print shared or moved documents on the one machine? In Xenialpup-7.0.8.5 what is the virtual machine program called, and how do I call it, pls?