Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 21:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
TeamViewer packages for Puppy.....
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2016, 13:58    Post subject:  

Think I know what host only mode is based on reading, You can run/view on Windows laptop on the move your at home Raspberry but will be unable to run/view Windows machine remotely within Raspberry.
That is what I wanted, and it can be local LAN only which is how I want it, FOR NOW. Wink only 8m sweet.
Now for the other FatDog64 supported???
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2016, 13:59    Post subject:  

@tlchost:-

tlchost wrote:
Tried installing the deb version on a clean tahr....but teamviewer complained about permissions, etc....and being as technical as a door knob. I retired from the field of combat.

You do yourself an injustice, man..! Laughing

I believe this is down to the way that the free version has been coded, personally. I have been able to run an unattended machine with TV.....by leaving the target machine running, with TV set to start; then using the ID & password from the other end, and initiating the connection that way. But I don't think that's quite what's meant by unattended operation, somehow.....

Mike. Laughing

tlchost

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2016, 17:34    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

tlchost wrote:
Tried installing the deb version on a clean tahr....but teamviewer complained about permissions, etc....and being as technical as a door knob. I retired from the field of combat.

You do yourself an injustice, man..! Laughing

na...when trouble shooting I always suspect myself first, my hardware second and my software third. Only when I have eliminated me and mine as the culprit do I look at external causes.

Quote:

I believe this is down to the way that the free version has been coded,

With the windows version, which is both free and paid...you tell it what mode to use...and in either persoanl or commercial mode it works just fine in unattended mode.
Quote:

personally. I have been able to run an unattended machine with TV.....by leaving the target machine running, with TV set to start; then using the ID & password from the other end, and initiating the connection that way. But I don't think that's quite what's meant by unattended operation, somehow.....

You're correct....the unattended mode means that teamviewer starts when the system starts....so you can literally crawl into the computer, and remote the remote machine....on your end, teamviewer asks if you want to reconnect to the remote system...and when it does boot up...you're right back in controlling it.

I'm pretty sure if I could have gotten the deb version to work, there would have been a screen that allowed me to set up unattended access.

Of course one could be a real heretic and either read the docs, or post a question in whatever forum might exist for Teamviewer....but that would take all the fun out of it, since it might be then an application that "works out of the box".

At this point I have 6 or so computers set up for unattended remote access....so one of the kids calls, or the son-in-law, or my cousin, etc I can crawl into their system. look around and make an effort to break it even more than they have...and when I've really screwed it up...I can either reboot it remotely, or ask them to...and lo and behold, if I have not managed to format the hard drive, I can crawl in and play computer wizard again.

there's another very nice remote control app that is free for both personal and business use....but it's windows based and I have yet to try it under wine.

I'll give it a stab and let ya know if it works
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2016, 17:58    Post subject:  

tlchost wrote:
there's another very nice remote control app that is free for both personal and business use....but it's windows based and I have yet to try it under wine.

I'll give it a stab and let ya know if it works.

Mm, please do!

When I say it's probably a case of the way of the way it's coded, you must remember that what we have is the Windows app, albeit wrapped up in a WINE package to make it work under Linux. The problem may well lie in WINE itself (for the Linux version); I strongly suspect there's something in the implementation that simply is not allowing something, somewhere to do what it should.

Remember, WINE is somewhat 'hit & miss' at the best of times...

Question: am I right in thinking, then, that TeamViewer uses something like an SSH connection, which then triggers the 'Wake on LAN' function that Windows normally comes with? Probably a very poor guess at what actually happens, I admit... Laughing

Mike. Wink

tlchost

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec 2016, 21:20    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

tlchost wrote:

I'll give it a stab and let ya know if it works.

Mm, please do!

It did not work under wine...and WinHQ says the application is garbage rated, but they also rate Teamviewer 12 garbage,

Since I use both of them with no problems whatsoever under windows, I rate the wineHQ rating as garbage.

And now the classical dilema....if I value my time at anything greater than one cent per hour, how long will I flog the horse trying to get an app to work correctly in Puppy?

Hopefully this post will not be deleted as the one in the Puppy Newsletter thread was....the censorship in this forum is very, very tiresome.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 30 Apr 2017, 16:46    Post subject:  

Evening, everybody.

I thought I'd carry on with the good work I 'inherited' from cimarron... Accordingly, here's the most recent release of TeamViewer 12 (12.0.76279), which was released during the last week of March.....and if not for my recent bout of ill-health, would have undoubtedly been 'Puppyfied' somewhat sooner..! Rolling Eyes Smile

Both .pet and SFS packages are available, from the same URL as in post #1. Seems that more Puppians than would care to admit it use this particular app, as evidenced by over 350 downloads since the previous 're-pack' back in December..... Smile

Enjoy. Any probs, let me know, and we'll see if we can resolve 'em.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep 2017, 21:23    Post subject:  

Morning, everyone.

Not entirely sure how long this version's been out, but here's continuing with cimarron's good work:-

TeamViewer 12.0.85001

(EDIT:- Sept 18, apparently, so it's fairly recent.)

'Twould seem the GPU is now leveraged to help boost performance. I wouldn't quite like to say how this will affect some of the really old hardware running Pup; feedback from affected (or otherwise) 'Puppians' will be most useful, as per normal.

---------------------------------

Given that the Linux Teamviewer packages always come with a self-contained version of WINE 'built-in', the magic that enables all this to keep working (especially for those of us who, like myself, usually run WINE anyway) without conflicts between the different versions of WINE, is the /teamviewer script in /usr/bin. It utilises LD_PRELOAD to point TeamViewer in the direction of its own version, rather than attempting to 'mix'n'match' the two.....and at the same time, kills any other 'zombie' TV processes that might be interfering with things. Ultimately, cimarron and I both have CatDude to thank for this.....from a few years back.

It also explains why I could never get PhilB's TV10 and 11 pets to run.....because they simply linked to /teamviewer/tv_bin, without resolving this conflict. Anybody not running WINE, of course, wouldn't notice anything amiss.....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=874881#874881

---------------------------------

Pet & SFS packages are available from the usual location:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dsso94ea3wt4y/TeamViewer

As always, any probs, give me a shout. We'll try and see what's what.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to: