Links386 Pro

Play with your Puppy.
Geoffrey

Links386 Pro

#1 Post by Geoffrey »

I was looking for a golf game for Linux but found nothing, was wondering if anyone would object to me linking , Links386 Pro for Dos contains 12 courses
the pet is 31meg configured to use DosBox, There is controversy over the legalities downloading some games that appear to be abandon ware.

Links was first produced by Access software inc, which was acquired by Microsoft then In 2004, Microsoft sold the Salt Lake City studio to Take-Two Interactive,
where it was renamed Indie Built. Indie Built was subsequently shut down in 2006. It is therefore unlikely that Take-Two will produce any additional versions of Links.

There is no platform that runs links in production or for sale by the manufacturer, no support from any source that claims to be a owner of the game,
so in all fairness I personally don't see a problem installing it, the only copies that I've seen for-sale are on Ebay either original cd still in the wrapper with no box or refurbished,
meaning cleaned and tested then repackaged, Dos is still available on Ebay either new unopened or second hand but has no support.

If anyone can give me a reason not to upload it as a pet please let me know.

I guess it's up to the the forum admins whether or not to allow it.

Edit: Thu Feb 23 21:20:32 EST 2012

I,ve decided to post the game, I have searched everywhere to find if it lawful to do so and it seems to sway either way with no definite answer to the question,
I cannot find the copyright holder who are Access Software, this company no longer exist, they were acquired by MicroSoft and then sold to Take-Two Interactive and
renamed Indie Built which was closed down in 2006, so it appears to have been abandoned, which means that the company has taken no further interest in the
game's development and distribution, I will post it here until there be some claim of the legalities other wise.

This pet is the Links386CD Release Date: Dec 31, 1994 , it has the movies removed and has 12 courses.
Edit 28th February 2017
A modified dosbox and it's dependencies have been added making it a standalone game.
links386.pet
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sun 23 Apr 2017, 12:36, edited 5 times in total.

Adagio

#2 Post by Adagio »

I had forgotten all about Links.
It was a fantastic golf game for its time.
I loved the background music.

Would love to get a copy again.
I lost mine when my zip drive developed the "click-of-death".

Colonel Panic

#3 Post by Colonel Panic »

I f memory serves (though I'm not sure) the earliest version or two of John Biles's Teenpup had a version of Links, or a similar golf game, amongst its" Games" menu.

I remember trying to play it (and being hopeless, but still :) ). Maybe he's the one to ask.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Geoffrey

#4 Post by Geoffrey »

Added game see first post, comments on this would be appreciated, if the the responses are overwhelmingly negative, then I shall remove it.

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

Geoffrey

As far as I can see the copyright is still running, though there's no copyright holder to lawfully enforce it

Note: Use lawful, not legal
Definition of Abandonware
Abandonware - Software that is no longer being sold or supported by its publisher. Most abandonware is still considered illegal unless the publisher has re-released the software as freeware.
....In Closing
We believe that "abandoned" software should be made available to the public, for either nostalgic purposes (entertainment), or for source code information (educational). In additon, We are of the belief that the current copyright laws should be modified when it pertains to software over 10-15 years old (at such a time, the software is said to be obsolete and usually is no longer sold).
http://www.classicgaming.cc/abandonware.php

I don't have a problem with using abandonware, and have several sites I visit
The UK/common law requires 'locus standi' i.e. a right to bring an action, by anyone making a claim, so even copyright protection agencies have no standing, as they cannot get instructions from the copyright holder to enforce, and any action would be an abuse of process, IMHO

Aitch :)

Geoffrey

#6 Post by Geoffrey »

Aitch wrote:Geoffrey

As far as I can see the copyright is still running, though there's no copyright holder to lawfully enforce it

Note: Use lawful, not legal
Definition of Abandonware
Abandonware - Software that is no longer being sold or supported by its publisher. Most abandonware is still considered illegal unless the publisher has re-released the software as freeware.
....In Closing
We believe that "abandoned" software should be made available to the public, for either nostalgic purposes (entertainment), or for source code information (educational). In additon, We are of the belief that the current copyright laws should be modified when it pertains to software over 10-15 years old (at such a time, the software is said to be obsolete and usually is no longer sold).
http://www.classicgaming.cc/abandonware.php

I don't have a problem with using abandonware, and have several sites I visit
The UK/common law requires 'locus standi' i.e. a right to bring an action, by anyone making a claim, so even copyright protection agencies have no standing, as they cannot get instructions from the copyright holder to enforce, and any action would be an abuse of process, IMHO

Aitch :)
I've left this for a few months before posting it, trying to get my head around the do's and don'ts, the only copies I've seen for sale are either original cd unopened or used and there aren't that many about,
this is 18 years old now since it was released and from what I've read I don't think anyone as ever been approached in regard to sharing old games that are obsolete,
I think it would be a different story though if it was done to make profit or gain, so it seems to be lax in enforcing any regulations and a blind eye is usually the case. :wink:

If it was at all possible to contact the copyright holder, I'd offer them $1 for it.

I'll let it ride for awhile and see what other responses come before making a decision whether it go's or stays, will have to see what the powers that be say, as I really have no say.

Geoffrey :D

Geoffrey

#7 Post by Geoffrey »

Five years down the track and I have modified this package to include it's own dosbox and libSDL files thus making it a standalone.

Tested in Carolina 1.3 and X-Tahr 2.0, should run in most puppies.

See first post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 379#573379
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Sailor Enceladus

#8 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Cool stuff Geoffrey. I remember enjoying this game and it's quirks. Memorable graphics too.

belham2

#9 Post by belham2 »

Geoffrey wrote:Five years down the track and I have modified this package to include it's own dosbox and libSDL files thus making it a standalone.

Tested in Carolina 1.3 and X-Tahr 2.0, should run in most puppies.

See first post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 379#573379

Hi Geoffrey,

Wanted to ask if you ultimately ended up removing this game? I went to download it from your link, and upon arriving at the link (Dropbox) it says the "file does not exist anymore". Is this correct, or a problem on my end (browser, etc)??

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks for the latest recompile of Zaxxonrr too....it runs great in X-Tahr, but I cannot for the life of me get it to run in dpup stretch. It loads, everything looks great and is ready to roll, but unlike X-Tahr, suddenly the keyboard and mouse no longer exist and/or work, & also the CPU ramps up to 100% going bananas.

Geoffrey

#10 Post by Geoffrey »

belham2 wrote: Wanted to ask if you ultimately ended up removing this game? I went to download it from your link, and upon arriving at the link (Dropbox) it says the "file does not exist anymore". Is this correct, or a problem on my end (browser, etc)??
The game is there, it's Dropbox, they removed all the shared links to the public folder, as people ask about files I'll fix the links.

The link to links386.pet in the first post is now working.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

puppyluvr

#11 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Works perfect OOTB on Tahrpup64.
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

smokey01

#12 Post by smokey01 »

@:puppyluvr I thought it was a 32bit app. Is it using the 32bit libs in tahrpup64?

puppyluvr

#13 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I assume its using the "compatibility libs" I installed. Still, I was surprised. :D
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Geoffrey

#14 Post by Geoffrey »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
I assume its using the "compatibility libs" I installed. Still, I was surprised. :D
It includes all the SDL files needed in the games directory, a script loads them.

Dosbox I hex edited to change where it has the configuration , it creates it in the directory dosbox is run in, which is also the games directory.

Glad it's working for you, I use to play this a lot, just love that Mulligan :wink: