Where to install fonts to? (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mike Walsh

Where to install fonts to? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Just started experimenting with installing some different fonts. This is easy enough to do in the newer Pups which have the Menu->Desktop->Font Manager.....but Precise doesn't have this.

So I was wondering where you actually move the TTF files to, in order to install them?

Any info will be most appreciated!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 04 May 2017, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

HI Mike_Walsh

The TTF / OTF fonts directory is at /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF.
That's where you unpack / unzip your new font.

To install it, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

fc-cache -r
This will refresh the fonts cache and make the font available to the system.

To choose your new font, open the gtk-chtheme utility. There is a box for
fonts next to the bottom. (Please see attached pic.)

IHTH.
Attachments
choose-font.jpg
You browse through the fonts list on the right, you click on the desired font, then on the desired style, then "ok".
(72.06 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Cheers, musher0..!

That's 'precisely' what I wanted to know, old son. Many thanks!

I'd far sooner have a system directory ( a 'concrete' location) than be given descriptions of how to use x, y or z application for this type of operation. They have to go somewhere; I'd sooner move them there directly first as last....

This one's 'SOLVED'.

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

My pleasure! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

davids45

Fonts by symlink

#5 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mike W.,

Just in case you've a big collection of fonts that you'd like to have in every Pup, store them in a single, 'master' Fonts directory on a mounted-at-boot data partition (or your /mnt/home/ directory for Frugals) and then symlink these to each Pup's /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/ directory. Or replace the /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/ directory with an appropriately named symlink to your master fonts directory so extra or updated fonts are included?

Handy for some of the rarer fonts if used by a favourite program that gets put into each Pup :D .

I'm playing around with 64-bit Pups at present and I'm not sure if I need two different 'master' fonts directories, 32-bit and 64-bit :? .

David S.

mostly_lurking

Re: Fonts by symlink

#6 Post by mostly_lurking »

davids45 wrote:I'm playing around with 64-bit Pups at present and I'm not sure if I need two different 'master' fonts directories, 32-bit and 64-bit :? .
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a 32bit- or 64bit-specific font. I just copied a font from a 64bit Windows system into a 32bit Puppy, and it works fine.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, David.
davids45 wrote:Just in case you've a big collection of fonts that you'd like to have in every Pup, store them in a single, 'master' Fonts directory on a mounted-at-boot data partition (or your /mnt/home/ directory for Frugals) and then symlink these to each Pup's /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/ directory.
Thanks for the reminder, David. That really should have occurred to me; I have, after all, been employing your 'remote applications' method for several items for the best part of 18 months now..!

No reason it shouldn't work with this the same as it does with everything else.

Cheers!