BIT METER OS 0.7.6 (stable) & 0.8.0 (experimental)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Mike Walsh

#221 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Atle.

You might find that it's not just you. I had constant problems with 0.8.0 crashing on me, and completely jamming up every couple of days. I got so fed up with resetting it, I eventually gave up on it, and reverted back to 0.7.6....which is far more stable.

BitMeter's creator, Rob Dawson admitted that part of the problem was that he'd switched to using a newer type of SQLite database for the 0.8.0 release, and it hadn't proved to be as reliable as he'd hoped.

The only thing with 0.7.6 is that it doesn't show the difference between internet and LAN traffic, that's all. If you can live without that, I would recommend using 0.7.6; I've not had it crash yet.

As with so many things, when I started this thread last year, 0.8.0 was still experimental.....but everybody jumped on it; 'Oh, it's newer; it must be better'. They hardly looked at 0.7.6. This surprised me, because one thing that I, like seasoned Puppy users, have learned is that newer isn't only not always better, but it's often more likely to break things on older hardware.....

(*Shrug*)

Hope you can understand my English..! :lol:

Mike. :wink:

Atle

#222 Post by Atle »

I read you load and clear....

Since I am promoting the usage of a specific made Puppy for Mobile users and one argument is that by using mobile internet your got you Wifi as a free resource, it sort of breaks the system if mobile and other traffic is not separated.

But I shall have a look at the 0.76. I just found out i can not even test my own spinnoff due to lack of 3gmodem:-)

atle

boof

#223 Post by boof »

pet V1.2, in Xenialpup64-7.0.x.5 [latest]

nothing--do I need to reboot or what?

NOT a coder either-have no clues.

4G modem Huawei E3372