Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 27 Jun 2017, 11:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Windows 8, 8.1 and 10: How to Boot Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan 2017, 12:36    Post subject: Booting Puppy from a CD/DVD?  

Hi All,

If I understand his post correctly, mistfire has packaged an efi boot image you can use in constructing a CD/DVD of your remastered Puppy so that it will boot from that media. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=938720#938720.

It is based on the work of Fatdog (kirk and jamesbond).

mikesLr
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2017, 20:48    Post subject: Recommendation as of February 16, 2016  

Hi All,

If you've skipped to here from the first post, this link will take you back after you've read this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=858159#858159

Having skipped here, you've missed the instructions that you have to turn off Fast Boot, AKA Fast Startup which is Windows misleading term for what, Linux refers to "hibernate". Using either hibernate under Linux or Fast Boot under Windows, you really haven't turned off your computer. Consequently, when you Start it again, you're really not booting it and there's no way to boot into any other system. In Linux, hibernate is something the user must consciously choose. In Windows, it's automatic, part of the boot instructions.

You may also have to turn off Intel Smart Response Technology (ISRT).

Links to instructions are on the first post.

You also may not be aware that I do not have an UEFI computer; so this thread primarily serves to provide links to the efforts and discoveries of those who do. However, since my first post I have acquired a Windows 7 computer which --AFAIK-- is structurally the same as a Windows 8/8.5/10 computer. That is, the factory installation of Windows created 3 partitions of the Hard-drive. Each is formatted NTFS. The First, and smallest, is labeled "System". The Third is labeled "Recovery". You don't want to mess with either of those.. The Second and largest is labeled "Windows". Assuming you haven't filled it up with Windows junk, you can safely resize it with gparted to create a FOURTH partition, formatted as Linux to house any Linux Distro. And, as a Frugal install of Puppy does not require an entire partition --it can be located in a folder-- you can place one "Big Linux Distro" and as may Puppy Linux variants there as you like.

Doing a Wellminded Search, http://wellminded.net63.net/ on the term "gparted" will turn up instructions on how to use it safely. But, remember what I said about the 3 partitions already on your computer.

Limbomusic has recently posted regarding an easy way to setup ANY puppy linux to run from a USB-Key, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=943608#943608, primarily by following Jamesb’s instructions found here: http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00009.

There's nothing wrong with running Puppies from a USB-Key, It's the preferred method used by many experienced Puppy fans, I frequently explore a Puppy using that method if I'm not familiar with it, or --being familiar with it-- want to try something without jeopardizing a well-functioning system. But running any Puppy from a USB-Key will always be slower, at least to bootup, than running the same Puppy from a hard-drive. And a Terabyte hard-drive affords more possibilities than even a 64 Gb USB-Key.

The one unmentioned first step in both Limbomusic's and Jamesb’s posts is that either (a) each and every time to you want to boot the computer from the USB-Key you have to hold down some key to get a "Boot Menu" so that it doesn't automatically boot from your hard-drive; or (b) change your computer's settings so that it will give boot-priority to your USB-Key over your Hard-drive. I chose (b) for my new-to-me Windows 7 computer; setting it up to (1) boot from a bootable CD/DVD if one was in the optical drive, if not (2) boot from a bootable USB-Key if one was plugged in, and (3) only if both a bootable CD/DVD AND a bootable USB-Key are absent, boot from the Hard-Drive.

I haven't had, and rarely expect to have, a bootable CD/DVD in the optical drive. It takes my computer about 1 second to check. So under normal circumstances if I've plugged in a bootable USB-Key, my computer will follow its instructions; and if I haven't, my computer will boot Windows 7. And I haven't had to mess with the boot-system Windows wrote.

With your USB-Key’s grub.cfg providing your computer with instruction as to which operating system to boot, you are not limited to only booting those systems on your USB-Key. Grub.cfg can also be written to boot any (or many) Puppies you’ve frugally installed to folders on your computer’s hard-drive.

Jamesb provided this example of a grub.cfg:

menuentry "Start Slacko" {
linux /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd.gz
}

Supposed you resized your second partition and from the now available space created a fourth partition. Puppy would recognize it as sda4 –drive a, partition 4. But grub2 begins numbering with “0” =Zero. So sda4 in “grub2-speak” is hd0,3. If, for example, you placed tahrpup64’s necessary files* in a folder named tahrpup64 on sda4, the following menuentry would boot it (assuming you’ve followed jamesb’s instructions to setup your USB-Key):

menuentry "tahrpup64" {
set root='(hd0,3)' #### Note the single-quote marks, don’t include this comment
linux /tahrpup64/vmlinuz
initrd /tahrpup64/initrd.gz
}

There are other techniques for specifying on which partition a desired folder is to be found, and other "boot arguments" --e.g. don't load the SaveFile/Folder; don't automatically SAVE changes-- which can be included. But I’ll leave explaining them to those Puppy users who actually use “grub2”. [Not having an UEFI computer, I can use grub4dos]. In fact, if I’ve gotten the above wrong, please post a correction.

* If you are already running any Puppy –for example from a CD/DVD or USB-Key-- to obtain the necessary files to boot any Puppy [excluding maybe Series 1 and 2?] browse to that Puppy’s ISO and Left-Click it, mounting it. A window will open revealing its contents. Place your mouse-cursor on each of the following files: vmlinuz(x), initrd.(x), xxx.xfs. Left-Press-Hold and drag in into your folder; release and select “copy”. Left-Click the ISO again to unmount it.

The “x”s will vary with your Puppy. Vmlinuz may have an ending number. Initrd usually ends with a .gz or a .xz but may have no suffix at all. The files referred to as .xfs will usually be sfs, but sometimes a number followed by fs. Fs stands for file-system. Sfs stands for squashed=compressed file-system. A number just identifies the format used in “squashing”. Tahrpup64’s ISO has two: puppy_tahr64_version-number.sfs –which contains tahrpup64’s operating system and builtin applications; and zdrv_tahrp64_version-number.sfs which contains firmware and drives. The ISO’s of other Puppies may not have a zdrv, but may include other SFSes having special purposes. It’s best to check a specific Puppy’s thread before leaving any sfs out. Note, how the vmlinuz and initrd are named in the ISO, your menuentry must use that name.

Edit: Re-reading this post, I'm not sure that I clearly spelled out how I boot Puppies and DebianDogs. While all my Puppies and DebianDogs are in folders on the 4th partition, I did not install Grub4dos to the hard-drive. Rather, I purchased the smallest (least expensive but quality) USB-Key I could find and, (having booted into a Puppy on a 2nd USB-Key) and copying the first Puppy's necessary files to a folder on the 4th partition I ran Grub4Dos and instructed it to install itself on the 1st (small) USB-Key. Grub4dos, of course, created a menu-entry for that Puppy.

The functioning Windows or Linux Grub2 boot-loader continued to exist, neither overwritten nor interfered with. Plug in the Key and boot Puppy. Don't plug in the Key and boot Windows and/or one of the "Big Distros".

After being able to boot into a Puppy on the hard-drive via the USB-Key, its a simple matter to add more Puppies/Dogs (in folders on the 4th partition) and to edit Grub4dos' menu.lst on the USB-Key to boot into them. Or, re-run Grub4dos, again installing it to the USB-Key.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 27 May 2017, 08:48; edited 2 times in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb 2017, 07:15    Post subject: the menu is not as pretty as others  

mikeslr, i fully agree with you. Why some devs still continue using old boots ? grub4Dos is perfect, excepted that the menu is not as pretty as others.
Nevertheless see Pupjibaro's starting scripts, they ave been colorized nicely
(sorry for my english Wink )

Wognath

PostPosted: Sun 14 May 2017, 22:05    Post subject: Success dual-booting HP 14-an013nr laptop
Subject description: Another Windows 10 laptop

HP 14-an013nr "streambook"
This laptop boots without issue from a Fatdog flash drive, but after installing FD on a SSD I could not get Linux to #1 in the boot order using BIOS settings. I had to esc/F9 and manually choose boot device. After applying jamesbond's method of editing the EFI partition (sda1 on this machine), it now boots to grub menu. Very Happy
--Secure boot on, legacy boot off, hibernate off
--Can start Windows directly from reFind, or add grub entry
menuentry "Windows 10 " {
set root=(hd0,1)
chainloader /EFI-win/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}
Page 4 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: