Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 26 Sep 2017, 05:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
pFind 6.3
Page 47 of 49 [723 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
don570

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep 2016, 18:17    Post subject:  

I'll try that and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon 08 May 2017, 11:38    Post subject:  

Hello Zigbert
I am using tahr-6.0.5 with pFind-6.1 OOTB.

When pFind is invoked via Menu>Filesystem, the searchbox is populated with "Search text", and changes to blank as the cursor gets there. The purpose I presume is to inform the user to enter the target text in the window. I think a combination of a static "Enter Search text" label below an empty window and code change will achieve the same objective but without the undesirable results described below.

For purposes of "copy/paste" text, I usually highlight the text and use the middle button of the mouse to paste. It is faster and uses fewer mouse clicks than right-click+Copy/Paste [Ctl-C/Ctl-V] which I use less often. If I hightlight a search target somewhere and invoke pFind, the highlighted text buffer is clobbered and replaced with "Search text" and the middle mouse button doesn't work. Would you please consider modifying the code to at least avoid the clobbering? You could retain the hiding "Search text" in the window and modify the code to avoid the clobbering or replace the hiding "Search text" with a static "Enter Search text" label as suggested above and code to not clobber the buffer. Your choice of course.

TIA

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 08 May 2017, 14:44    Post subject:  

B.K. Johnson
Thank you for the feedback.
I will consider your suggestion...

Sigmund

disciple

PostPosted: Mon 08 May 2017, 15:37    Post subject:  

I had an idea you'd found a way to display it there but make it disappear when you click there... am I imagining it?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
don570

PostPosted: Mon 08 May 2017, 19:45    Post subject:  

A suggestion:

When there is more that 500 results, then automatically save a text file
of the paths in /root or $HOME folder and warn user .

Going to home is easier than /tmp

PostPosted: Tue 16 May 2017, 13:04    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
I had an idea you'd found a way to display it there but make it disappear when you click there... am I imagining it?
Yes, that is possible, but the textfield (entry) has the default focus to write your search strings without any clicking...
don570

PostPosted: Thu 25 May 2017, 19:10    Post subject:  

I made a right click utility (pfind plus) for the distros that don't have a right click available to search in folder.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110596
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul 2017, 22:56    Post subject: Use pFind more !  

I am surprised that people don't use pFind more, so efficient..
Files used in july 2017 (choose extension, personal or system, and date range)
atime = access time
ctime = change time
Users complain that not working with personal files ? here
5.0.4.jpg
 Description   personal files version 5.0.4
 Filesize   38.04 KB
 Viewed   203 Time(s)

5.0.4.jpg

Last edited by Pelo on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 23:18; edited 1 time in total
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul 2017, 23:18    Post subject:  

Quote:
I am surprised that people don't use pFind more, so efficient..

We do use it!!
It just works, so not much to talk about.
Well, it does everything I want a file search program to do!

Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul 2017, 23:20    Post subject: Bigpup, i agrrreee.  

Bigpup, i agrrreee. No need to create scripts to do what Pfind does. Never mind..
What would be nice is to sort results by date, or other criteria. I fail with that.

zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017, 09:14    Post subject:  

sorting by date works here. But I am running the latest version - pFind 6.3 on Slacko 7
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017, 10:10    Post subject:  

zigbert, you wrote:
Quote:
....But I am running the latest version - pFind 6.3 on Slacko 7

Does this version include a fix for the problem that you would consider here . How far down on your priority list is the fix for this? Anxiously awaiting. Smile

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017, 12:23    Post subject:  

B.K. Johnson
Fixed at 15. May in Woof

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/commit/7fb7780e6e3a39d5453082bc124546ac2c52fe1c

B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul 2017, 23:09    Post subject:  

zigbert
As I am not a Git person, it will be a minor struggle (I hope) finding the new version, but I'll manage somehow.
Thanks!
Request May 8th; Completed May 15th. Only a week. Wow! Such quick response.
But I find out 2 1/2 months later. Rolling Eyes Thanks again.

[UPDATE]
zigbert
I did find and installed pFind-6.3.
When launched from Menu, the search window is blank instead of being populated with Enter search text. ADMIRABLE.
Clicking the mouse middle button allows entry of the copy buffer in the window. AS YOU DESCRIBED AND ADMIRABLE.

There is just one small inconvenience: If I choose to do a second search with the old search string in the entry window, the only way of removing the old string is either through backspacing or deleting characters before clicking the mouse middle button. It would be nice if the text window is automatically cleared as the cursor approaches the window. Idea It's a niggle, but would make for a more professional application. (Seems reasonable since the old version pushed the text window contents into the copy buffer when the cursor neared the text window.)

B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 02:36    Post subject:  

Perhaps you missed this update to my post here 10 days ago. Or, is there another reason for the lack of a response?
Quote:
[UPDATE]
zigbert
I did find and installed pFind-6.3.
When launched from Menu, the search window is blank instead of being populated with Enter search text. ADMIRABLE.
Clicking the mouse middle button allows entry of the copy buffer in the window. AS YOU DESCRIBED AND ADMIRABLE.

There is just one small inconvenience: If I choose to do a second search with the old search string in the entry window, the only way of removing the old string is either through backspacing or deleting characters before clicking the mouse middle button. It would be nice if the text window is automatically cleared as the cursor approaches the window. Idea It's a niggle, but would make for a more professional application. (Seems reasonable since the old version pushed the text window contents into the copy buffer when the cursor neared the text window.)

I hope you see this suggestion (emboldening not in original post) as a worthwhile improvement and not as an annoyance from a pest or an ingrate who won't love and appreciate your programs "as is"?

Page 47 of 49 [723 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Jump to: