woof-CE needs you

News, happenings
Billtoo

woof-CE needs you

#921 Post by Billtoo »

I built Slacko-6.9.9.1 this morning from Slacko-6.9.6.7.
I've installed it to my macmini.

▶—— BASE SYSTEM ——◀

PC Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Product Name: Macmini6,1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Max Speed: 2500 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2000 MHz, 1:2501 MHz, 2:1400 MHz, 3:1700 MHz

Frequency governor : ondemand
Freq. scaling driver : acpi-cpufreq

Phys 0 (coretemp) : +55.0 C (high = +87.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
Core 0 (coretemp) : +53.0 C (high = +87.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
Core 1 (coretemp) : +55.0 C (high = +87.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 16112 MB
Used RAM: 1941 MB
Free RAM: 14171 MB
Buffers: 152 MB
Cached: 1608 MB
Total Swap: 12040 MB
Free Swap: 12040 MB

Actual Used RAM: 181 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 15931 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

Linux Kernel: 4.1.39-pae (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Tue May 23 10:13:21 EDT 2017
PAE Enabled: Yes

Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.9.9.1
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.2
Desktop Start: xwin jwm

It's working okay so far.

@Lassar

I sent you a PM.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(93.19 KiB) Downloaded 540 times

Lassar

#922 Post by Lassar »

I am positive that woof-ce does not work from a tahrpup64 live cd.

Booted up tahrpup64 6.05 cd.

Followed the readme file to a T.

Created a bare 10 GB partition.

Installed git from the puppy manager.

Cloned woof-ce using git.

Installed devx sfs module. Also tried it without the devx sfs module.

Did ./merge2out script from woof-ce.

Changed to the woof-out directory.

Followed all the command line scripts.

./0setup
./1download
./2createpackages
./3builddistro

Where it fails is in the ./3builddistro script

It does not create a iso, not even a sfs file.

So since woof-ce does not work in tahrpup64 live cd, what live cd does it work in?

Sailor Enceladus

#923 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Lassar wrote:chroot: can't execute 'echo': No such file or directory
ERROR: could not 'chroot' into sandbox3/rootfs-complete
This means that something is incomplete, perhaps a library
needed by bash. Check it out. Have to exit script now.
I think, in your woof-out*/packages-xenial64/busybox/bin folder, there should be a shortcut called "echo", which gets copied into rootfs-complete. If this file doesn't exist, perhaps it's because you formatted your 10GB woof-ce partition with something that can't create Linux shortcuts (FAT32 maybe? I normally use ext4 or ext2).
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(36.63 KiB) Downloaded 525 times

Billtoo

woof-CE needs you

#924 Post by Billtoo »

Lassar wrote:I am positive that woof-ce does not work from a tahrpup64 live cd.

So since woof-ce does not work in tahrpup64 live cd, what live cd does it work in?
I built xenialpup64 this morning in Tahrpup64-6.0.6.

I created a work directory and loaded the devx, opened a terminal in the work directory and entered the commands in the terminal one at a time as they completed.

Maybe you need to install Tahrpup64 to the hard drive and run it instead of running it from the live cd?

That's your Kodi pet that I installed in this Tahrpup64 a few weeks ago.
Attachments
woof-CE-fromtahrpup64.jpg
(73.86 KiB) Downloaded 447 times

belham2

#925 Post by belham2 »

Lassar wrote:I am positive that woof-ce does not work from a tahrpup64 live cd.

Booted up tahrpup64 6.05 cd.

Followed the readme file to a T.

Created a bare 10 GB partition.

Installed git from the puppy manager.

Cloned woof-ce using git.

Installed devx sfs module. Also tried it without the devx sfs module.

Did ./merge2out script from woof-ce.

Changed to the woof-out directory.

Followed all the command line scripts.

./0setup
./1download
./2createpackages
./3builddistro

Hey Lassar,

Tell me if this picture below looks familiar to you? I am right now in a Tahrpup64-Live-CD 6.0.5CE (burned last summer) on a computer with only ram, 8GB of it, and a 16GB usb 2.0 added afterwards for the Xenialpup64-7.0.8.4 build attempt (someone was busy last night at woof, the small xenial build errors I saw yesterday are no longer there :wink: ). Still, does this look familiar, Lassar, appearing in the ./3builddistro-Z step after you've chosen your kernel and it tries to do its thing?.... :twisted:
Attachments
chroot--can't execute 'echo'.png
(188.78 KiB) Downloaded 441 times

Sailor Enceladus

#926 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

belham2, before you delete it, can you take an image of the packages-xenial64/busybox/bin folder and maybe sandbox3/rootfs-complete/bin? I wanna see :lol:

belham2

#927 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:belham2, before you delete it, can you take an image of the packages-xenial64/busybox/bin folder and maybe sandbox3/rootfs-complete/bin? I wanna see :lol:
On yee orders, Captain, here be thar images! :)
Attachments
sandbox3-rootfscomplete-bin.png
(242.27 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
packagesxenial64-busybox-bin.png
(130.31 KiB) Downloaded 387 times

belham2

#928 Post by belham2 »

Sailor,

Just to followup, I cannot get the build to get past that error point when I am using the Live-CD. I even created a savefile, stored it on the USB used for builds, then re-booted the Tahr64-6.0.5CE Live-CD, and it's just like Lassar says: it stops everytime with "chroot" error, saying it cannot chroot into 'sandbox/rootfs-complete'.

But, get this, I just quickly stuck everything (savefile included) in a frugal folder, booted Tahr64-6.0.5CE up, used the same build USB I had been using when trying to do it "live", and the build sailed right thru ./3builddistro-Z and created a bootable ISO & DEVX of Xenial64-7.0.8.4.

Weird stuff. Have any clues what would be going on when a build is tried from a "live" CD and using a storage device attached for the build? I've got plenty of RAM and storage space, so it can't be those things. Plus, I used ext4. I'm clueless other than thinking it's a permissions problem even before we reach the ./3builddistro-Z step. But where though...Live-CDs are run as root, so......???

Sailor Enceladus

#929 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Wow belham! Interesting, so echo DOES exist... that's even stranger than I thought. :shock:

I added this to merge2out in the meantime, it seems to kill VFAT and NTFS attempts dead before you can begin :twisted: :lol:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
#BK nov. 2011

[ -d ./woof-arch ] || [ -d ./woof-code ] || [ -d ./woof-distro ] || exit

# test: make sure permissions and symlinks will work first
EXTWARN="echo Please build Woof-CE on a linux filesystem - ie. EXT4, not"
rm -f linuxtest1
rm -f linuxtest2
ln -s merge2out linuxtest1 2> /dev/null
if [ ! -f linuxtest1 ] ; then
  $EXTWARN VFAT
  exit
fi
cp merge2out linuxtest2
if [ ! `ls -l linuxtest2 | head -c10` = "-rwxr-xr-x" ] ; then
  $EXTWARN NTFS
  exit
fi
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(35.34 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

Lassar

#930 Post by Lassar »

It is weird, that it won't work from a live cd.

You are right, I think someone has been busy working on woof-ce.

Now the tahr64-6.0.5 live cd, running the ./3builddistro script, almost gets to the end, before it hits a critical error.

Cannot open '../woof-output-xenialpup64-7.0.8.4-uefi/xenialpup64-7.0.8.4-uefi.iso'
https://paste.ee/p/LyQFx

I have xubuntu on my computer, and don't want to mess around with boot issues by installing puppy linux.

Hopefully, this problem will get fixed, so I can get working on a Kodipup lite iso.

mavrothal

#931 Post by mavrothal »

Lassar wrote: Now the tahr64-6.0.5 live cd, running the ./3builddistro script, almost gets to the end, before it hits a critical error.

Cannot open '../woof-output-xenialpup64-7.0.8.4-uefi/xenialpup64-7.0.8.4-uefi.iso'
It would appear that you do not have grubx64.efi in your sandbox3/rootfs-complete (hint-> "Can't find Grub2" in the output - did you includ it?)
As a result support/uefi_cd.sh fails to build the ISO image and then there is nothing to burn.
3builddistro may need a test that uefi_cd.sh exited without errors before proceeding further, though.
You may want to raise an issue in woof-CE about it.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#932 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:
Lassar wrote: Now the tahr64-6.0.5 live cd, running the ./3builddistro script, almost gets to the end, before it hits a critical error.

It would appear that you do not have grubx64.efi in your sandbox3/rootfs-complete (hint-> "Can't find Grub2" in the output - did you includ it?)
As a result support/uefi_cd.sh fails to build the ISO image and then there is nothing to burn.
3builddistro may need a test that uefi_cd.sh exited without errors before proceeding further, though.
You may want to raise an issue in woof-CE about it.
I'm pretty sure we've killed this one stone cold dead.. 23ec192, efd0a66, 2ed6bf1.. :lol:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#933 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: I'm pretty sure we've killed this one stone cold dead
:lol:
At the end woof-CE will be so foolproof, even <name in your mind> will be able to build a puppy :lol:
The downside is that no one will be releasing any puppy then... :o
:D
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

belham2

#934 Post by belham2 »

mavrothal wrote:
01micko wrote: I'm pretty sure we've killed this one stone cold dead
:lol:
At the end woof-CE will be so foolproof, even <name in your mind> will be able to build a puppy :lol:
The downside is that no one will be releasing any puppy then... :o
:D

Cant you guys leave a few things broken and messed up on purpose in woof, to deter the fly-by-night build attempters? It ain't no fun when there's nothing to fix going through easy 3 or 4 steps and suddenly a fully working ISO/OS is staring ya in the face. When there's nothing to fix, when no reason to try & flex some grey matter, it's like the magic is gone and one's feeling of participating in that 'puppy-mysterious-building' magic or experience is eqaully gone... God I hate progress sometimes :lol: Oh well, guess not. Heading up to ask my android-robot in the Out house what I'm eating tonight and what time I'm being tucked in.

Sailor Enceladus

#935 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

belham2 wrote:Cant you guys leave a few things broken and messed up on purpose in woof, to deter the fly-by-night build attempters? It ain't no fun when there's nothing to fix going through easy 3 or 4 steps and suddenly a fully working ISO/OS is staring ya in the face. When there's nothing to fix, when no reason to try & flex some grey matter, it's like the magic is gone and one's feeling of participating in that 'puppy-mysterious-building' magic or experience is eqaully gone... God I hate progress sometimes :lol: Oh well, guess not. Heading up to ask my android-robot in the Out house what I'm eating tonight and what time I'm being tucked in.
Your post reminds me of this thread :lol:

belham2

#936 Post by belham2 »

Today I just did a build of dpup-stretch 700a1 to see if anything has changed with it, and man-o-man, was surprised, because it is just "dead in the water". Not one thing has changed since I last did a dpup-stretch release ~2-3 months ago. I guess it has been abandoned by Tuuxxx, and no one else picked it up.

Maybe it's for the best, as things were going quite quickly before, and ended up driving Musher and a few others away to do their own thing. Still, I thought some work would have been done on it since then, but nothing has been touched (though I believe Musher and his French compatriots group continued onward). But for the woof-CE build as it now stands, even the /usr/bin EXEC---SYN nightmare is just as it was before.

Oh well, maybe some day when stretch from Debian itself comes online as the "stable" version, then this dpup-stretch version can be picked back up by someone.

Robert123

#937 Post by Robert123 »

belham2 wrote:Today I just did a build of dpup-stretch 700a1 to see if anything has changed with it, and man-o-man, was surprised, because it is just "dead in the water". Not one thing has changed since I last did a dpup-stretch release ~2-3 months ago. I guess it has been abandoned by Tuuxxx, and no one else picked it up.

Maybe it's for the best, as things were going quite quickly before, and ended up driving Musher and a few others away to do their own thing. Still, I thought some work would have been done on it since then, but nothing has been touched (though I believe Musher and his French compatriots group continued onward). But for the woof-CE build as it now stands, even the /usr/bin EXEC---SYN nightmare is just as it was before.

Oh well, maybe some day when stretch from Debian itself comes online as the "stable" version, then this dpup-stretch version can be picked back up by someone.

Billtoo did a nice version here: http://smokey01.com/Bill2/stretch-7.0.0a1.iso
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Sailor Enceladus

#938 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Robert123 wrote:
belham2 wrote:Today I just did a build of dpup-stretch 700a1 to see if anything has changed with it, and man-o-man, was surprised, because it is just "dead in the water". Not one thing has changed since I last did a dpup-stretch release ~2-3 months ago. I guess it has been abandoned by Tuuxxx, and no one else picked it up.

Billtoo did a nice version here: http://smokey01.com/Bill2/stretch-7.0.0a1.iso
And belham2 did one here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110012 ... :)

Moat

#939 Post by Moat »

Yeah, seemed the dpup-stretch development was really going gangbusters, and suddenly *poof*... crickets. A real shame! A great deal of potential there, towards a next (hopefully?) official Pup release.

I soo very wish I had the chops/time/energy, as I'd be geeked to pick it up and run with it... :(

Puppy needs it, Puppy deserves it!

Bob

belham2

#940 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote: And belham2 did one here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110012 ... :)

...Haha, Sailor Enceladus! I cannot and could not do any of that stuff without ttuuxxx, musher, you, phil, micko, jilst, peebee....and all the other gurus here on murga. As Bono sang long ago on The Fly: "...Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief. All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief...." :wink: