Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 18:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Puppy on an old Acer netbook: Brilliant!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
John Alien

PostPosted: Fri 26 May 2017, 21:18    Post subject:  Puppy on an old Acer netbook: Brilliant!  

I've come on hard times and someone gave me an old acer netbook running windows 7 so poorly I couldn't open a web browser. I thought "Hey that small distribution I keep hearing about and tried live once might be able to turn this into a usable machine!" and downloaded, hosted and booted the xfce iso using an app on my phone (technology these days!). Using a bit of basic unix/linux knowledge made a fresh install clean over windows 7 and ended up with a clean, lightweight and surprisingly complete linux running flawlessly on my new (old) netbook.

I'm liking a lightweight system, I have to say. And it makes me more eager and it more necessary to learn to use a command line a lot more effectively.

Edit: Oh jeez, xfce is the window manager I used subsequently with a live linux mint to see how it would run on this netbook.

Last edited by John Alien on Fri 26 May 2017, 22:45; edited 1 time in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 26 May 2017, 21:52    Post subject: Re: Brilliant!  

John Alien wrote:
I'm liking a lightweight system, I have to say. And it makes me more eager and it more necessary to learn to use a command line a lot more effectively.

No regrets since having
rm -rf /windows
when XP support stopped. (In truth it remained gathering dust before being zapped after I hadn't booted it for ages).
John Alien

PostPosted: Fri 26 May 2017, 22:46    Post subject: Re: Brilliant!  

rufwoof wrote:
John Alien wrote:

No regrets since having
rm -rf /windows
when XP support stopped. (In truth it remained gathering dust before being zapped after I hadn't booted it for ages).

Very nice.
John Alien

PostPosted: Fri 26 May 2017, 23:43    Post subject:  

I tried to compile python and I'm pretty sure this netbook was going to overheat.. so I had to turn it off. I would rather not risk this machine for the sake of attempting to have python. I want to use python to compile ninja-ide because I'm having trouble installing it with ppm and Pets...
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 27 May 2017, 01:54    Post subject:  

John Alien wrote:
I tried to compile python and I'm pretty sure this netbook was going to overheat.. so I had to turn it off. I would rather not risk this machine for the sake of attempting to have python. I want to use python to compile ninja-ide because I'm having trouble installing it with ppm and Pets...

python comes in the devx.sfs..... you just need to track down the appropriate one and install it.....

peterw

PostPosted: Sat 27 May 2017, 03:54    Post subject: Old Acer Netbooks are fine  

Hi John Alien
Glad you have had success with Puppy. I still have an Acer Aspire One with an Atom N270 processor and 1 GB of RAM. It still runs exremely well with Puppy and it can also run other Linux distros. At the moment it has some Slacko32's and Mint 18. Mine never had Windows on it since it was originally sold with Linux Linspire. I have, a while ago now, purchased a higher capacity battery for it and I think that I have dusted out the CPU fan and filter. Enjoy your new laptop it is capable of good service for many years.
peterw
6502coder

PostPosted: Sat 27 May 2017, 12:50    Post subject:  

John Alien wrote:

This is the easiest way to get Python:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=955139#955139
John Alien

PostPosted: Sat 27 May 2017, 14:53    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
John Alien wrote:

python comes in the devx.sfs..... you just need to track down the appropriate one and install it.....

So the devx.sfs I had loaded to provide a C compiler also provides me with python. Hah! I'll go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.
John Alien

PostPosted: Sat 27 May 2017, 14:55    Post subject: Re: Old Acer Netbooks are fine  

peterw wrote:
Hi John Alien
Glad you have had success with Puppy. I still have an Acer Aspire One with an Atom N270 processor and 1 GB of RAM. It still runs exremely well with Puppy and it can also run other Linux distros. At the moment it has some Slacko32's and Mint 18. Mine never had Windows on it since it was originally sold with Linux Linspire. I have, a while ago now, purchased a higher capacity battery for it and I think that I have dusted out the CPU fan and filter. Enjoy your new laptop it is capable of good service for many years.
peterw

Thank you Peter! Sounds like we have similar if not identical hardware. A capable service laptop is exactly what I see in it. Thanks!
John Alien

PostPosted: Sat 27 May 2017, 20:00    Post subject:  

6502coder wrote:
John Alien wrote:

This is the easiest way to get Python:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=955139#955139

I'm trying to get Python3.5.3 with this method but the installation script isn't working. Cannot execute the python3.5 binary! It seems like the python installation script fiddles with the execut-ability of some of the directories with system calls. Tried to change the directories in the ActiveState package with chmod but it did not solve the problem.

Edit: Well, I brought my netbook to a cool basement, made sure nothing else was running and compiled python3.5 from source. It made it.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: