About pen drives (and only USB hardware)

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Pelo

About pen drives (and only USB hardware)

#1 Post by Pelo »

Why USB sticks ?
Blackfish says :
"This morning, powered down machine, unplugged everything, flipped it over, removed hard drive. Flipped machine back over, plugged in Puppy USB stick, pressed power button, booted up, went to work in silence, less heat, less friction--and puppy works just the same. The only moving parts left are the CD unit and the processor fan. Battery lasts much, much longer, too.
I bought a few little 4 gig USB sticks and set them all up with Puppy. I boot from the USB stick, run Puppy from it, and store all my files on it. When one gets full, or close enough to it, I just start with another one. Then I date and store the full sticks in my file cabinet with the rest of my files.

I could use bigger sticks than 4 gig for storage, but running the risk of losing or breaking a stick only means more loss if something like that occurs. I like breaking it up into smaller bites. Safer that way."

Here write all yr knowledge about USB usage, USB only, please.

How to Choose yr USB Stick
Attachments
4186GzShk8L._SL500_SX150_.jpg
Cruzer 4GB
(4.03 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
USB.jpg
Hard info
(33.14 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 07:00, edited 5 times in total.

Pelo

USB sticks as Hard-Drive

#2 Post by Pelo »

USB flash drives are a convenient and powerful storage tool used by students, business professionals, and anyone with a need to back up and transport their files quickly and easily. USB ports were designed to standardize connections of keyboards, printers, portable media devices, and other units to a computer system. Flash drives make use of these ports and grant users fast access to the storage devices. Flash drives quickly replaced floppy disks when they were introduced at the beginning of the 21st century, and are capable of holding far more information than their predecessors. Determine how you will use your flash drive in order to find one that will be the most useful to you.
Choosing USB Flash Drives
There are many types of flash drives available on the market, and buyers may find themselves with several decisions to make when shopping for one. Storage capacity, file transfer speeds, and unit design are among the primary things to keep in mind while shopping.

Determining the Appropriate Size of Your Flash Drive
At home, Hard drive will store te biggest files. USB is to move with yr filles, only some of them, those needed at once.

4 GB Flash Drive (my choice) would be enough (2GB is better)
Text documents are very small in terms of storage, and a high number of files can be saved on a flash drive with a low storage capacity. Most text documents are less than 200 KB, which means that a 4 GB flash drive could hold hundreds of standard text documents.
At home, each USB is a Puppy, with all pupsaves joined, and other files in the FAT free place. It's a philosophy. Only my way of doing... :)

Larger size needed : use Computer Hard drive, no ? USB is aimed to go in yr pocket.

File Transfer Speeds
Transfer speeds are most commonly designated in MB/sec (megabyte per second). Variations of this are written as Mbyte/sec or other, though most flash drives will list their transfer rate in megabytes. This refers to how quickly the unit can retrieve and write data. Many flash drives will have two separate speeds listed, one for its reading speed and one for writing. This refers to how fast the unit can access documents stored on it and how fast it can save new content, respectively.

Generations of USB Flash Drives
Flash drives can be categorized according to the "generation" of USB port with which they correspond.

Durability
If you are simply using a flash drive to move data between two computers in a home or office, it may not be necessary to worry about its casing or durability.
My opinion :
You can loose it if the stick is very small.
the main risk is a broken USB, retractable is not good, in my opinion, the less mechanical, the better it is.
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 04:43, edited 5 times in total.

Pelo

Pen drives wiki updated

#3 Post by Pelo »

Pen drives wiki updated
Attachments
pendrive.tar.gz
Prices, CDs , 2014 uspdating
(66.13 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

Pelo

USB pendrives : Storage

#4 Post by Pelo »

USB pendrives Storage (only Puppy Linux) for hunters, (20ea))
Useful for wireless user, used to play and Show Puppy everywhere
Bandoleer can be equpped with 20 Puppies ( list which ones on your order)
Project :
"A vest that is worn while playing Puppy in the shape of a bandoleer .
Attachments
cartouches.jpeg
Hyppie version available (Flowers)
(5.53 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

Nice pic Pelo. Every puppian should be wearing one of these. Ready for action!

Pelo

Symphytum for collection

#6 Post by Pelo »

Where are your Puppies ?
Attachments
nougayork.jpg
Everything has its place, each USB is known in my Symphytum collection.
(43.82 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

tallboy

#7 Post by tallboy »

A very sensible setup, Pelo! I have lost lots of data by disk crashes, so I like the idea to use small USB flash storage. The problem nowadays is that 2 and 4 Gb are difficult to find, most of them are 8, 16, 32 GB or bigger.
I run my Puppy from a live CD, and use a HDD and USB flash sticks for storage. One of the reasons I don't follow your setup (yet!), is that most of my PC's are very old, and they don't like lots of stuff simultaniously connected to their USB-ports :evil: , and they often only have 2 USB ports! :roll:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

One small extra remark: After crashing 2 harddisks, I also discovered how much unnecessary crap I had saved, whithout really needing it! :shock:

Solution: Pretend there is only 2 MB space left on the stick, and you learn to avoid random saves. :D

talboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.