Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 21 Feb 2018, 11:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 14 of 25 [362 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun 2017, 07:49    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Hi fred .....hi Toni....!

Me.... after all those crazy disputes..... being heavily traumatised...... Shocked Shocked Shocked just want to know.... fred ....Toni ..... tell me please ....you both are just kidding... Shocked Shocked

or is this the Overture for another Massacre ?

Regards

Shocked Shocked Traumatised backi Shocked Shocked

Hope not, backi. I will not really test again any scripts from Fred. Just kidding about that.
Unfortunately rufwoof didn't take my advice here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=956950&sid=547aa4eeb1ef79ee698a9c638a8187f3#956950
I wrote nothing insulting or not related to Ubuntu/Debian/Xenial and Fred many times stated it is on-topic.

I will not take any part in this further.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun 2017, 12:22    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Hi fred .....hi Toni....!

Me.... after all those crazy disputes..... being heavily traumatised...... Shocked Shocked Shocked just want to know.... fred ....Toni ..... tell me please ....you both are just kidding... Shocked Shocked

or is this the Overture for another Massacre ?

Regards

Shocked Shocked Traumatised backi Shocked Shocked

Sorry Dr. backi, I should have better kept my mouth shut.
Probably there will be no next time, but if there is just write:
hi fred ! SHUTUP
(then I know and will obey your orders, but don't forgot to add some smilies Smile )

Fred

stemsee

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun 2017, 12:37    Post subject:  

The only thing that bothers me here is 'boot time', it really needs to be reduced! I haven't looked into it yet, and when I do I will sort it out ... eventually! Maybe not to everyone's liking, but that doesn't seem to bother me much ... because I am greater than what I do!! Cheers Cool
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun 2017, 13:01    Post subject:  

Just a tip:
Porteus-boot (initrd) loads list of modules blindly no matter if the hardware needs them or not. Removing some of the modules from the list will speed up the boot process a little. Removing the kernel drivers missing in the modprobe command list from initrd will reduce also its size.

Toni

backi

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun 2017, 13:13    Post subject:  

Hi all !
Hope everyone is fine ......and everything is coming back to normal....

So...... I better now SHUT UP .

Regards !
frourio

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 01:14    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

Sorry for the late reply. Got bogged down with other work tasks.

Sounds like there's a lot of history, legacy, and politics in regards to the beginnings of XenialDog. In any case, many thanks to all those involved in whichever way. It's pretty solid.

So in regards to the problem of mounting media with 'myuser':

1) I go to PCMANFM
2) I see two instances of the same drive I want to mount over on the left. (e.g. my external hard drive)
3) I click on either instance
4) I get this message for instance 1: "Error opening directory '/mnt/sdb': Permission denied"
5) I get this message for instance 2: "Not authorized to perform operation (polkit authority not available and caller is not uid 0)"

Also, when I click on instance 1 and get the above error message, it shows the drive as mounted (but with no contents aside from the error message dialog box) and instance 2 mysteriously disappears. When I unmount it, instance 2 reappears once again.
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 07:19    Post subject:  

Sorry frourio, I can't repruduce the errors you got.
And besides that:
See next post.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 07:52; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 07:21    Post subject:  

@All

Sorry to say, but I marked this thread as [CLOSED]

Those who have followed a little about what happened in the past (saintless<>fredx181) can probably guess why.
I don't feel like replying in this thread anymore, so IMO closing it is the right thing to do.
Also I have some other reasons, e.g. it's too much time consuming doing things almost all solely, that was OK while it was fun for me, but it isn't anymore now.

To quote B-B King:
"The thrill is gone"

And to quote Frank Zappa partially:
"The Dogs are not dead, they just smell funny"
(originally: "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny")

Sorry again, and see you later maybe.

Fred

EDIT: To clarify some more about why I closed this thread:
I feel that when you start a thread you are responsible to watch it for replies.
But I'm fed up reading replies from certain persons, to say it as polite as possible: "Not my style of communication" Or "Talking nonsense" (see for example below next post)

So I simply "freed" myself from having to read the bullsh*t.
Bye!

Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 09:35; edited 1 time in total
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jun 2017, 08:32    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
@All

Sorry to say, but I marked this thread as [CLOSED]

Those who have followed a little about what happened in the past (saintless<>fredx181) can probably guess why.
I don't feel like replying in this thread anymore, so IMO closing it is the right thing to do.
Also I have some other reasons, e.g. it's too much time consuming doing things almost all solely, that was OK while it was fun for me, but it isn't anymore now.

To quote B-B King:
"The thrill is gone"

And to quote Frank Zappa partially:
"The Dogs are not dead, they just smell funny"
(originally: "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny")

Sorry again, and see you later maybe.

Fred

This and all the other "Dog" threads are part and parcel of The DebianDog Project. Saintless (Toni) is the one who started The DD Project. Closing, or starting any subprojects is Toni's prerogative, not yours. Doing otherwise is a violation of the norms of decency and betrayal of trust.

As I have told you many times before: Start Your Own Project. Call it Amstel/Portwine/Rubber Duck, but please, Stop Playing Games!
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun 2017, 08:14    Post subject:  

Re-opened again because I agree with this:

mcewanw wrote:
As I say, all dogs are community projects; no-one can ask for that work to be locked or deleted without agreement from the other contributors.

Fred

r3muxd

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 12:33    Post subject:  

Is this still being maintained?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 14:20    Post subject: Maintained -- just quiet  

Hi r3muxd,

XenialDog was created employing the same kernel and binaries as Ubuntu Xenial Xerus, and via synaptic and/or apt accesses the repositories of the same.

Xenial Xerus is a version of Ubuntu for which Ubuntu will provide Long Term support thru 2021, I think April. Long Term support includes bug-fixes and security patches.

Only expect postings to this thread when someone has something unique concerning XenialDog 64, itself.

mikesLr
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul 2017, 17:54    Post subject: How can you add xfce4-panel?  

Hi fredx181 & all,

A while back, you posted "...The Whisker Menu is a plugin for xfce4-panel, so if you install it (and the xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin) it can be used on any distro..." http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952925#952925.

Well, I figured out how to add xfce4-panel to Puppies and get them to display/function. And while downloading the necessary files via apt, especially synaptic, and probably Apt2SFS appears to be simple, I'm at a complete loss as to how to get them to display/function, i.e, include them as an option along with the other GUI options built into XenialDog.

Any ideas?

mikesLr
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul 2017, 19:06    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Quote:
Well, I figured out how to add xfce4-panel to Puppies and get them to display/function. And while downloading the necessary files via apt, especially synaptic, and probably Apt2SFS appears to be simple, I'm at a complete loss as to how to get them to display/function, i.e, include them as an option along with the other GUI options built into XenialDog.

For example (depending on which desktop mode you have set) in case the default, edit "/root/.config/openbox/tint2p" to: (change: tint2 & to xfce4-panel &)

Code:
# Set the desktop background and icons
nitrogen --restore &
sleep 1

# Top panel
tint2 -c $HOME/.config/tint2/tint2rcl &

# Bottom panel
# tint2 & # commented out now
xfce4-panel &

What the "desktop-manager" does to switch mode, is creating symlink 'set-desktop' to another config file, e.g. to rox-pinbd, pcman, cairod, etc.. inside ~/.config/openbox/

Fred

Moat

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jul 2017, 07:25    Post subject:  

In my 32 bit XenialDog running Openbox/LXPanel, I just launch it with a simple shellscript in /root/Startup;

Code:
#!/bin/bash

xfce4-panel

... and just shorten the bottom LXPanel's left end enough to accommodate a bit of xfce-panel in it's empty place (just enough for Whisker's button) - works a treat for me, anyway.

Bob
Page 14 of 25 [362 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 23, 24, 25 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: