How can I quickly swap between eth0 and wlan0 ?

Using applications, configuring, problems
xan

How can I quickly swap between eth0 and wlan0 ?

#1 Post by xan »

Both eth0 and wlan0 have network access and I can get each one to work with "Puppy Network Wizard" but when I want to change from one to the other I have to put the IP and Gateway address in repeatedly before it eventually sticks and will work.

eth0 and wlan0 use completely different addresses, so I don't think there's any conflict there.

Sometimes the following error comes up:
SIOCADDRT: File exists

But usually the problem is that the new addresses I put in are ignored and are reverted back to the old ones.

Please help me out and tell me if I can simply overwrite a file somewhere.

The same goes for /etc/resolv.conf which seems to have a mind of its own and change by itself.

I am using Puppy Slacko.

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

Right-click the network tray icon then click "disconnect". Right-click again and select "setup networking"

s243a

#3 Post by s243a »

jafadmin wrote:Right-click the network tray icon then click "disconnect". Right-click again and select "setup networking"
It would be better to have some kind of auto-reconnect feature. Network profiles would be ranked by preference.

On second thoughts though one could put a script shortcut on one's desktop to quickly connect to a network.

jafadmin

#4 Post by jafadmin »

s243a wrote: On second thoughts though one could put a script shortcut on one's desktop to quickly connect to a network.
This is how I do it. The Xdialog script kills current network connection then allows me to select wireless or ethernet, and static or dhcp.