LxPupSc: Woof-CE, Slackware-Current, LXDE build 13-Jun-2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#721 Post by peebee »

Updated 15-jun-2017

Interim delta to LxPupSc-17.06.22T

Kernel 4.11.5 + various small updates....

Some early support for @gyro's initrd.gz and overlayfs experiments - kernel is built with "CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=m" and DISTRO_SPECS are made available in the .iso....

@sage: I think this must be a consequence of your preferred boot method - a reminder from post #1 "PLEASE NOTE: ONLY FRUGAL INSTALLS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR LXPUPSC"

For additional browsers - I provide a number of .sfs which you can obtain via Menu -> Internet -> Get Web Browser
Last edited by peebee on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 08:03, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sage

#722 Post by Sage »

"PLEASE NOTE: ONLY FRUGAL INSTALLS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR LXPUPSC"
Thanks for the reminder, PB. Always trying to push the boundaries...

gyro

#723 Post by gyro »

Thanks peebee, for another puppy that can be used to test overlay stuff.
gyro

westwest

savefolder error

#724 Post by westwest »

Error reported by sage also occurred on frugal install.

Seems the savefolder is invalid...
After the initial savefolder creation, no further saves are registered accross reboots.

peebee

Re: savefolder error

#725 Post by peebee »

westwest wrote:Error reported by sage also occurred on frugal install.

Seems the savefolder is invalid...
After the initial savefolder creation, no further saves are registered accross reboots.
Which version?

If using 17.06.1T please update to 17.06.21T

[edit] did tests on fresh frugal install of 17.06.21T - 3 reboots after savefolder creation with creation of a file before each reboot - all changes correctly saved in the savefolder.....
Last edited by peebee on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 22:10, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#726 Post by Marv »

FWIW savefile working correctly here in 17.06.21. It was updated from 17.06.1 where it also worked correctly. The usual frugal install to an all Intel core 2 duo laptop. Nothing else of note to report for a bit. Video, sound, connection using PWF 4.1 all normal, glxgears FPS good at 1630. Pretty light use of late but trying to keep up. Slimjet (now version 14.0.10.0) from SFS continues to be my browser of choice in all pups. Oh yea, hooked on redshift.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Tue 13 Jun 2017 on LxPup-Sc 17.06.21 Linux 4.11.4-lxpup-32-pae i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

X Server: Xorg Driver: evdev
X.Org version: 1.19.3
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 17.1.2

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

westwest

ppm and savefolder

#727 Post by westwest »

Savefolder working correctly now in 17.06.21...
until update to PPM and failed download (see sage's issue).
Now Pmount doesn't auto-mount extra partition at boot, although other changes
like background selection are preserved.

No such problems in LxPupSc on self-same machine until 17.06.01.

Will attempt further tests.

peebee

Re: ppm and savefolder

#728 Post by peebee »

westwest wrote:until update to PPM and failed download
Can you say exactly what you are doing so I can try to duplicate - thanks.

17.06.22T with kernel 4.11.5 - see above

Marv

#729 Post by Marv »

21T updated to 22T, install details above. No issues noted, glxgears a fantastic 1700FPS on the core 2 duo laptop. One issue with slimjet 14.0.14.0 has cropped up and is unchanged from 21T to 22T. Discussed here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7b4#957734, probably slacko related, and Sailor E has reported it in the slacko 700-r3 thread.

Update: OscarTalks i686 slimjet 14.0.15.0 runs, see thread above.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#730 Post by peebee »

@Sage & @Westwest

Found the problem - I recently disabled "hotplug support" when running the LXDE desktop and this has a side effect that you have seen in PPM.

I'll re-enable it in future builds - meanwhile go to :
Menu -> System -> Puppy Event Manager and tick "Activate desktop hotplug support" and then restart the Window Manager.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

#731 Post by peebee »

Interim delta to 17.06.23T

BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;aadd84b;2017-06-15 19:35:33 +1000'
Kernel 4.11.6
Hotplug support reinstated to fix PPM in Pupmode=5

Sage

hotplug

#732 Post by Sage »

Thanks for your advice of yesterday, PB.
As you know, using interim deltae and fixes isn't terrible convenient for my modus operandi, so will wait on your next .iso.
The appeal of sitting indoors during this wonderful weather isn't especially conducive, either!
Thanks for you diligent efforts again,
David.

Rodney Byne

Menu text

#733 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi,
Having worsening eyesight, I want to enlarge the Menu items text
a bit more but can't just see how that's done.
Could someone enlighten me please.
Thanks.

belham2

Re: Menu text

#734 Post by belham2 »

Rodney Byne wrote:Hi,
Having worsening eyesight, I want to enlarge the Menu items text
a bit more but can't just see how that's done.
Could someone enlighten me please.
Thanks.
Hi Rodney,

I think your best (and easiest) bet is to play with the "Global-Font" size for the system (the dpi). Currently it is set at 96 in most all pups. You'll find it either under the Desktop menu category called "Font Size", or it will appear when you open JWM Desktop Manager. I am currently using 120DPI, which is about the limit you can go before a lot of things start getting squeezed all throughout the pup. Here's some pics (and, yes, I also use big-honking 40-DPI icons):

P.S. If the above doesn't work for you, next stop is to try this:
1) Open file /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc in a text editor, find the <MenuStyle> section:

<MenuStyle>
<Font>DejaVu Sans-10</Font>

Increase the font size and save.

2) Open a console window and run following commands:

fixmenus

jwm -restart

And if this doesn't work for you, most likely then you'll want to play with the GTK-theme: The font style of program menus can be controlled by the GTK theme. There is probably a GTK theme chooser in your "desktop" menu - it should have an option to change the font and text size. If it doesn't, go straight to the theme folder in /usr and change the font size there.
Attachments
DPI-Font-Size-120-right-click-menus.png
(106.79 KiB) Downloaded 986 times
DPI-Font-Size-120.png
(105.35 KiB) Downloaded 997 times

Marv

#735 Post by Marv »

@Rodney,
If you use Chrome, chromium or any of the chromium derivative browsers, the Global Font size (dpi) increase belham2 outlined above is definitely the way to go as the toolbar and menu fonts in those browsers don't follow the system or GTK theme fonts (thanx googly). They will follow a dpi bump. I use anywhere from 102 to 120 dpi depending on screen size and the user, mostly for those recalcitrant fonts.

Sage

#736 Post by Sage »

Second pair of spectacles works for me. Most large opticians offer 2-for-1, just ask for "computer prescription" and tell them the distance you sit from the screen. If you're living in the USA or anywhere else that rips off their clients, send your prescription mail order to http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk or any other more rational nation's opticians where they support proper healthcare!

peebee

#737 Post by peebee »

Rodney Byne wrote:I want to enlarge the Menu items text
I don't think there's a specific control for just this item.....

Menu -> Desktop -> Change Appearance -> Theme - Font selection (at bottom of window) allows you to increase the font size but will change other displays as well as the menu.....( you may need to do a Window Manager Restart from the Session menu to see the changes).

@Belham2 has provided JWM advice which does not completely apply to LXDE..... but global fontsize via Font Manager does work - but ignore bits about fixmenus and jwm restart!!!!

belham2

#738 Post by belham2 »

peebee wrote:
Rodney Byne wrote:I want to enlarge the Menu items text
I don't think there's a specific control for just this item.....

Menu -> Desktop -> Change Appearance -> Theme - Font selection (at bottom of window) allows you to increase the font size but will change other displays as well as the menu.....( you may need to do a Window Manager Restart from the Session menu to see the changes).

@Belham2 has provided JWM advice which does not completely apply to LXDE..... but global fontsize via Font Manager does work - but ignore bits about fixmenus and jwm restart!!!!

Hmmm, you mean these poor users of LxPupSC in the 32-bit world don't have the option & luxury of switching back and forth from LXDE and JWM? Just right there another reason to dump LxPupSC and put more effort behind LxPup64---which, by the way gang, Peebee gives you both desktop mgr options of doing with its own menu entry to switch back & forth. I just made the mistake that you all still running LxPupSc 32-bit have the same creature comforts & power that we do in Peebee's 64-bit world of LxPup64. :wink:

Apologies 8)

peebee

#739 Post by peebee »

belham2 wrote:running LxPupSc 32-bit have the same creature comforts & power that we do in Peebee's 64-bit world of LxPup64.
LxPupSc has the same desktop switching as LxPup64 - but for both, the primary desktop manager is LXDE and it's the LXDE menu that needed adjustment.....

Rodney Byne

Re Menu text size

#740 Post by Rodney Byne »

Thanks gents for all your various ideas on this.

As no progress made, I'm abandoning experimental
LxPupSc 32 and going back to my favourite distro Xslacko 4.2.

I don't like switchable dual window managers
in principle anyway, if only to avoid confusion and
improve user satisfaction on the necessary features.

imho think concerted effort should be focused on just perfecting
the considered better one of the two for the job in hand.

As a side benefit, with a big chunk of WM code removed,
the iso size will be reduced to the delight of those on
very slow broadband.

Best regards.