How to Access the 1tb drive on my iMac from Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
pixtureskk

How to Access the 1tb drive on my iMac from Puppy?

#1 Post by pixtureskk »

Hi, I am running the live cd puppy_tahr64_6.0.6 on an iMac Core 2 Du0 2.66gh with 4gigs of ram running Mac OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. This distro just flies, I am a great Puppy exponent. From Puppy, how can I access the 1tb drive on my iMac, in case I want to use Puppy as a Rescue OS. I am not that technical so please make your reply easy to follow. Thanks.

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

The drive icons sda1, sda2, etc. should show up in the lower left of the screen.
Just click an icon and ROX Filer will open.
Attachments
capture9686.jpg
(14.39 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

pixtureskk

#3 Post by pixtureskk »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

pixtureskk

#4 Post by pixtureskk »

Hi, still no luck (also tried this with Slacko),when I click on sda1 (there is no sda2), an EFI folder appears, when I click on that I get an Apple folder, when I click on that I get an Extensions folder,when I click on that I get a firmware.scap line. By searching I get a Rox-Filer icon,when I click on that I get some root line with some "x" s, "y" s, other stuff then I just give up. What else can I try. Thanks.

mikeslr

First the bad news...

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pixtureskk,

First the bad news. As I understand it --and I assume your iMac with Mac OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion is "factory fresh" in that you didn't fiddle with it to restructure how it operates-- you may not be able to use Tahrpup, Slacko or any other Puppy as a rescue OS.

Per, http://movies.apple.com/media/us/osx/20 ... erview.pdf, your system employs both the boot mechanism known as UEFI (Mac variant EFI) and its hard-drive was configured to employ what Apple refers to as "Core Storage". Puppy devs have figured out ways to bypass EFI, or structure Puppies to function under it.

Core Storage, however, is "Apple-speak" for what under Linux is known as Logical Volume Management. Logical Volume Management was originally --a dozen or more years ago-- developed, at a time when the then small size of Harddrives might require several drives to be used by an operating system which, itself, had limitations as to how many hard-drives it could handle. LVM enabled all such hard-drives to be treated as one "big one". Why it is still in use today when none of its reasons for being still exist is beyond me.

But, when it is employed, it presents Puppies with, as far as I know, at best an extremely difficult, at worst an insurmountable condition with regard to accessing hard-drives under such "management."

Now the good news, such as it is. I don't own a mac so have never had to try to accomplish what you desire. I can only research such problems, report what I find, and the conclusions I draw from such findings. I short, I may not know what I'm writing about. :shock: Even so, I think you're facing an up-hill battle. :(

mikesLr

pixtureskk

#6 Post by pixtureskk »

Thanks mikesir, I think that is my problem because with earlier versions of Puppy on an earlier iMac running Tiger,I was able to access my iMac drive. Also I opted to create the saved settings file on my iMac but cannot locate it anywhere. I assume it was not created as well. So, I'll continue to enjoy both THAR + Slacko on their own. Thanks.

pixtureskk

#7 Post by pixtureskk »

mikesir, success, got access to my iMac drive. After clicking on the sda1 icon on the desktop, I get a window with 4 items like I was getting previously, then I click on the "up" arrow to the far left of the menu, that gives a window with many more icons, especially sda2. I click on that, the next window is all the icons on my iMac drive, then I click on "users", then my iMac home folder, there is everything on my iMac 1tb drive. Now i am going to play with my home folder, see what I can accomplish. Now Puppy is fully functional. What a relief!!

pixtureskk

#8 Post by pixtureskk »

Further mikesir, I made a shortcut icon for sda2 for the desktop so I can get to it easily. Also my music MP3's are playing perfectly as well as my MP4 videos with VLC + all my text + PDF files open easily, just now working on configuring my printer. Can't believe how quickly Puppy performs these tasks.

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

pixtureskk:

Great that you had some success.

While you are in Puppy it might pay to copy all your mp3s and docs etc
as a backup.

Make one thing very clear.

In Puppy >>> Always use copy....never ever move files.

A few screen shots as to how you do it might be nice.

In most Puppies you can just use >> hit Control >> Ctrl on my keyboard
and >> P =>>Print at the same time.

Don't know about Apple keyboards.

They save a small PDF files...you can rename them as long as
you keep the>>>> .pdf extension name on the end.

They usually save to somewhere in >> root.

You could copy them back to your hard drive.

ttuuxxx has a Woof CE Debian Stretch release, which I particularly like,

but it has one strange thing where I have to use the
option >> Print to file. Still gives the same result.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109789

::::

If you copy any files just do a small test file or folder first.

Make sure your original files are still on your Apple rig.

Just an example for Windows users.
Can't find an Apple one...it is just to give you an idea.

https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-us ... age-2.html

http://tillamookrage.blogspot.com.au/20 ... puppy.html

Welcome to Puppy. Tell your Mac friends.

Cheers Chris.

pixtureskk

#10 Post by pixtureskk »

Thanks Chris. I have a couple of external Seagate drives (500gb + 1tb) so on the 500gbI have a bootable clone of my 1tb iMac drive which I store away, then on the 1tb, I keep an extra copy of all my pictures + any new pictures I take as well as copies of all my Mac software, in case I have to re-install any, the 1tb is always available, just have to plug it in when necessary. Now that I can access my 1tb drive with sda2, Puppy can always be a "Rescue" OS. I just like to try new things, I am not even of the computer generation, but I like new computing challenges. Ken.

cthisbear

#11 Post by cthisbear »

pixtureskk.

Is yours a Core Storage Fusion drive.

Because I posted here and the whingeing began.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=2643303

Clarity is always best.

Chris.

pixtureskk

#12 Post by pixtureskk »

Hey Chris forgive me for taking so long to reply. No iMac 1tb is a Seagate SATA drive,my external drives are also normal SATA drives. Because my external drives run on AC power they perform very quickly. Of course, everything on AC power works better, even an ethernet correction rather than a wireless connection. Although I am having fun playing with Puppy, my iMac running Mountain Lion works flawlessly so I can never make any Linux Distribution, my main computing platform.