adrv_LxPupXenial-17.06.00 Cups not working [Solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
festus

adrv_LxPupXenial-17.06.00 Cups not working [Solved]

#1 Post by festus »

Hello, all

I have transitioned from using a savefolder on my pups to using the adrv method, with great satisfaction.
The pups that are being used are LxPup-16.07.1-s, X-slacko-4.2, manna-6.4.2, all three slack-14.1 based, and LxPupXenial-17.06.00.

The only problem encountered was they all four would not print using the adrv method.

I found a working solution to the three slack-14.1 based pups printing issue from, watchdog, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106284
following these directions:

Code: Select all

Make a script which you can name cups with execute permissions with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
mount -t tmpfs -o size=10M tmpfs /var/spool/cups
/etc/init.d/cups restart &

and move it in /root/Startup. Restart x and cups now works.
This script did not, however, work on the LxPupXenial-17.06.00 pup.

Can anyone here provide the solution, or point me in the right direction for the script changes or whatever else is required to get the Xenial pup printing using an adrv?

I'm a thanking you for any help,
festus
Last edited by festus on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Is it printing without the adrv? The culprit could be something in the adrv which conflicts with cups. Try another simple adrv for example.

belham2

Re: adrv_LxPupXenial-17.06.00 Cups not working

#3 Post by belham2 »

festus wrote:Hello, all

I have transitioned from using a savefolder on my pups to using the adrv method, with great satisfaction.
Hi Festus,

Can I ask: what is or are the advantages to using the adrv over the savefile method? I am still unclear on all of this, despite trying to read a few comments in the threads about it. Is it the ease of portability with the adrv.sfs going into basically any puppy and/or pup-related distro? Or? And??

festus

#4 Post by festus »

watchdog wrote:Is it printing without the adrv? The culprit could be something in the adrv which conflicts with cups. Try another simple adrv for example.
Yes, it is printing using a savefolder, and not the adrv.

The slacko-pups wouldn't print using an adrv, until your provided script was placed in /root/startup.

@belham2

To my understanding, using an adrv means that the configuration always stays the same until I unsquash the adrv and make the desired changes, then just squash it back up and replace the "old" adrv with the new one.

The biggest reason for testing the adrv method is that I like to tinker around with stuff to see what works, and what doesn't, and learn new techniques.

btw, belham2, I followed your instructions using "squashfs" commands from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 844#956844
and I do thank you for posting them. I was going to post a thank you for that info, so I've done it here - two birds with one stone, so to speak. :wink:

festus

festus

#5 Post by festus »

After an unsuccessful attempt to print a text file, here is the error from localhost:631/
Attachments
adrv_xenial-1706-cups-failure.jpg
(52.9 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, festus.

I don't think it's anything to do with Xenial itself; more the LX implementation in peebee's LX Pups. I'm not knocking peebee (far from it); Peter does a wonderful job with them, but they do seem to be abnormally 'buggy' in some respects.....and I don't know why.

The way the LXDE desktop environment is implemented in the Puppy scenario just doesn't quite seem to be 'all there' (if you follow my drift)...

P'raps it's just my old 'clunker'; at least, that's what I always thought. Hearing that somebody else is having 'issues' with the LX Pups is making me think again about that one!

Mike. :wink:

peebee

#7 Post by peebee »

Mike Walsh wrote:.... but they do seem to be abnormally 'buggy' in some respects....
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....
if they are then nobody is bothering to report the bugs.....

@Festus - in a case like this I'd ask you to see if the "problem" (not yet a bug!) exists on the base pup - i.e does printing with an adrv work on XenialPup-7.0.8.1?

I can't think of anything that I do in adding lxde to xenial-pup that would cause such a "problem".....

Have you checked that the ppd exists and what it's permissions are on LxPupXenial+adrv?

Are you using the same adrv on slackware and xenial? This would be unlikely to work.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

@festus

I have downloaded lxpupxenial-17.06 and I'm able to print with the cups script in /root/Startup and using my adrv from xenialpup-7.0.8.1. The adrv is not properly working (no icons on the desktop: something to delete in /etc and /root I suppose) but I was able to print without going to a new install of my software. Something is wrong with your adrv: you cannot blame lxpupxenial-17.06.

festus

#9 Post by festus »

peebee wrote:@Festus - Have you checked that the ppd exists and what it's permissions are on LxPupXenial+adrv?

Are you using the same adrv on slackware and xenial? This would be unlikely to work.....
@watchdog
I'm in no way saying this problem that I'm having with getting LxXenial to print while using an adrv is this pups fault. peebee's pups are what I mostly use because they do everything I need to do and LXDE is one of of fav DE's. I also installed peebee's lxde.sfs's on manna_642, and am very satisfied with the results. And I thank you, watchdog, for the cups script.

@peebee:
I am using seperate, specific adrv's on each individual pup that I am using this method on.

It started printing by changing all /etc/cups files to "group" lp, and copying the "cups" script to to /root/Startup

I made these permission changes to the /etc/cups files and copied the "cups" script to to /root/Startup, made them into a new adrv, then to check their values, I unsquashed this new adrv and the /etc/cups permissions were all "root", not "lp".

The cmd used to make the adrv is:

Code: Select all

mksquashfs squashfs-root/ 'new.sfs' -all-root -noappend -comp xz
It has got to be the "-all-root" part, right?
Is there a more appropriate cmd for making the adrv? Or an option to exclude the /etc/cups files from becoming owned by root?

Progress is being made, I just don't want to have to change these permissions at every startup

Thank you peebee, and everyone, for your help

festus
Here is what the permissions should be:
Attachments
xenial-1706-HP_ENVY_5530_series-ppd.jpg
(37.42 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by festus on Fri 23 Jun 2017, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

If a folder like /var/spool/cups is getting the wrong ownership/permissions because a problem in the layered filesystem, delete it and restart CUPS. CUPS will re-create the correct folder.

If those permissions don't survive a reboot, you will need to automate the process with a startup script.

watchdog

#11 Post by watchdog »

nic007 provided an howto about making an adrv:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 470#944470

I don't use his script. I manually make the adrv inspired by nic007's script. I simply use dir2sfs to build the adrv.sfs.

festus

#12 Post by festus »

watchdog wrote:I simply use dir2sfs to build the adrv.sfs.
The printing problem using an adrv with LxPupXenial-17.06.00 is now solved.

I changed all /etc/cups files to "group" lp, and copied the "cups" script to /root/Startup, then used this cmd:
dir2sfs squashfs-root , renamed the finished sfs to "adrv_xenialpup_7.0.8.1.sfs"
And, the printing works just as if a savefolder were used.

The "-all-root" option seemed to be the culprit, at leat with this particular issue.

Thanks again, to all who helped, festus :wink: