Memory Lane Projects, Refreshed

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
belham2

Memory Lane Projects, Refreshed

#1 Post by belham2 »

Well, I sure don't have Pelo's mining skills. Just spent a good while trying to search through this forum looking for the Puppy Wary/Racy 5.5 Project thread? There was one, wasn't there???

Anyway, thought I'd start a thread here for anyone to post any memory-lane project they're either still using and/or updating & refreshing. For me, it is/was this:

------spent past few evenings giving Puppy Racy 5.5 an up-to-date refresh.

Updated glibc, openssl, and various libs, installed latest Palemoon, and JWM Desktop Manager (from Radky), updated abiword, then I added add'l GTK & JWM themes. After those, I installed Oscartalk's excellent MPlayer (that's it in 2nd pic smoothly playing a large hi-def 1080i mp4 file---1st pic is youtube playing in full screen glory), and then little final touches of conky, some games, SMtube-downloader, Htop, Firewall-tray monitor, Sakura terminal, PupSnapScreenCapture, UExtract, SFS-Load-On_Fly, RedshiftGUI, and Zarfy (to control my dual monitors).......and, well, who ever said the old dogs can't run with the new? Sure isn't the case here with an up-to-date Puppy Racy 5.5 (all running on a 9 yr old Athlon X2 chip & accompanying ancient amd motherboard w/ an IDE USB drive attached.....choo, choo, the train is a coming, lol) :wink:

Anyone else done anything recently or have anything going on? Hope those of you who used (or still use) Racy 5.5, you enjoy the pics:
Attachments
Puppy-Racy-5-5-Updated-1.png
(188.99 KiB) Downloaded 1639 times
Puppy-Racy-5-5-Updated-2.png
(157.76 KiB) Downloaded 1630 times

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@belham2: Nice! I started with Puppy 4.20 (because it came with UNetbootin), then tried pretty much all the 5-series puppies, and found Slacko 5.6 to be the most reliable, so I stuck with it, then moved up to 5.7. I have been trying the "Slacko 5.7.1" builds on woof-CE and enjoying it so far, I tried another one today with the "rationalise" branch:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kwhxksubf00ny/14.0

Give it a whirl if you like. Perhaps I can convert you from Racy 5 to Slacko 5? (or you can convert me?) :lol:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(238.35 KiB) Downloaded 1572 times

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:@Sailor... Perhaps I can convert you from Racy 5 to Slacko 5? (or you can convert me?) :lol:
No, no, haha, maybe old Slacko-s later. I am knee deep in the racy and lupu & related worlds. Here's my latest, but in a confession, rerwin made this one super easy [except for the darn xorg, dual screens and games (like dreamchess & iqpuzzle) libs & qt5 problems] (dual screens are going, but games still a question mark---otherwise, latest Palemoon (27.3.0), latest ca-certificates, latest openssl, etc, etc, etc...and with redshiftGUI too). Darn sublime :) .

Lupu 5.2.8.7, presently one of its "Mad Men" :wink: Bring on them high-faluttin' new slackos, xenials, dogs fat or otherwise. Lupu can still blow some doors off.... Vrooom, VROOM! :lol:
Attachments
Lupu-5.2.8.7-MadMan.png
(245.59 KiB) Downloaded 1451 times

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Wary and Racy 5.5, released March 3, 2013
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84748
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Bah.
Nostalgia should be taboo. ;)
It puts your mental health at risk.
You guys should join "Nostalgics Anonymous." :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Sailor Enceladus

#6 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

off-topic
Last edited by Sailor Enceladus on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

My point is, guys:
why go back to a Puppy that has more bugs than the current ones? :(
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

belham2

#8 Post by belham2 »

musher0 wrote:My point is, guys:
why go back to a Puppy that has more bugs than the current ones? :(
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Musher,

Some times, my friend, I do not know what to make of you. The reply above is something I would expect from, say, Anikin. But to come from you?? Boy, the world is becoming a sadder place :cry: . I miss this Musher who used to reply like this:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89395

"Hello, #######.

You pessimist, you! :lol: From http://www.quotegarden.com/smiles.html:
" Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to."
~Author Unknown

For starters, you've certainly been up to finding a catchy name for
your derivative! I'm downloading "#####" now and will give you
some feedback in the coming couple of days.

In the meantime, have a great day! 8) Cool TWYL!

musher0
"

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

Well, belham2, make of me what you will!

As you'll grow older you'll discover that you become more of a grouch
every day. :lol: (Although I don't look a day over ninety, as my friend Rob
likes to remind me! :lol: [Inside joke!])

Anyway, those Puppies are now 4 years old. That's eons as computer
development goes. They were tops in their day -- 4 years ago.

If you want to upgrade them for pleasure or to "maintain your technique"
like a guitarist or a keyboardist, that's actually great -- for you.

The only other positive reason I can think of is if you're trying to save older
computers from the waste bin.

The difference between what you're doing and starhawk's "Vincent van
Pup" is that starhawk was doing a niche Puppy for visual artists.

And he seemed to be preaching in the desert. So I encouraged the man,
even though I can't draw a sitting cat properly myself!

You did a very fine job with your DPupStretch-7. Stick to it?
Why the nostalgia?

Tsk, tsk, I'll never understand humans... :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Sailor Enceladus

#10 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

off-topic
Last edited by Sailor Enceladus on Sun 25 Jun 2017, 08:22, edited 3 times in total.

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Nope, sticking to the DPupStretch-7 !
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

Nice to hear someone extoll the virtues of Slacko 5.6
A great piece of work.

If I "upgrade" it will be to Slacko 5.7

Why use an "old" puppy like Slacko 5.6?
- because it is the best 32 bit pup (and therefore runs on 64bit hardware also)
- because it supports a good range of repos/software
- because it doesn't need to embrace the "google-centric" world where everyone has to "upgrade" to the latest Chrome just to access common websites.
- because newer pups rely on newer libs that are bloated and were created by who knows who doing who knows what. And who knows why?

If it couldn't be done with 32 bits, using 14.0 repos, then why do it at all? What is going on with the rest of the 64 bits??

Tracking, external control, and pretty much nothing useful.

Why use a newer pup than Slacko 5.6? Maybe you have newer hardware and need a newer kernel. If so, throw that hardware away as it probably harbours hardware backdoors that override and compromise your software in any case.

Slacko 5.6 for me. And in future I will add a newer kernel if I need it. (and learn how to graft new driver modules in if required...)

greengeek

Re: Memory Lane Projects, Refreshed

#13 Post by greengeek »

belham2 wrote:------spent past few evenings giving Puppy Racy 5.5 an up-to-date refresh.
Updated glibc, openssl, and various libs, installed latest Palemoon, and JWM Desktop Manager (from Radky), updated abiword, then I added add'l GTK & JWM themes. After those, I installed Oscartalk's excellent MPlayer (that's it in 2nd pic smoothly playing a large hi-def 1080i mp4 file---1st pic is youtube playing in full screen glory), and then little final touches of conky, some games, SMtube-downloader, Htop, Firewall-tray monitor, Sakura terminal, PupSnapScreenCapture, UExtract, SFS-Load-On_Fly, RedshiftGUI, and Zarfy (to control my dual monitors).......:
Love to give this a try - especially if you added TAS for the screenshotting. Any chance of a download link??

belham2

Re: Memory Lane Projects, Refreshed

#14 Post by belham2 »

greengeek wrote:
belham2 wrote:------spent past few evenings giving Puppy Racy 5.5 an up-to-date refresh.
Updated glibc, openssl, and various libs, installed latest Palemoon, and JWM Desktop Manager (from Radky), updated abiword, then I added add'l GTK & JWM themes. After those, I installed Oscartalk's excellent MPlayer (that's it in 2nd pic smoothly playing a large hi-def 1080i mp4 file---1st pic is youtube playing in full screen glory), and then little final touches of conky, some games, SMtube-downloader, Htop, Firewall-tray monitor, Sakura terminal, PupSnapScreenCapture, UExtract, SFS-Load-On_Fly, RedshiftGUI, and Zarfy (to control my dual monitors).......:
Love to give this a try - especially if you added TAS for the screenshotting. Any chance of a download link??
Greengeek,

Sorry, these old rwevitalization projects that I am working on I am not releasing. I have compiled stuff on these old setups just for my hardware, and cannot guarantee they'll work on anything else. In fact, lol, as an example, the puppy racy doesn't work correctly when I pop it into our 2 generic laptops we have in the house that easily run all pups. This Racy I updated/put together is totally fickle :lol:

Sailor Enceladus

#15 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I've been using the Slacko 5.7.1 iso above in the 2nd post as my main OS for a while now. The freezing bug with jwm 2.x in Slacko 6.3.x/6.9.x, devuan ascii, tahr, xenialpup, etc. has been annoying me so much that I don't think I'm going to work with them at all any more and just stick to 5.x branch. It's just too problematic trying to do any kind of productive workflow in the newer puppies with that fatal Menu bug randomly popping up all the time, and downgrading it and the browser just so things work smoothly on an older laptop seems like the wrong approach when just using a stable older puppy works right already and does what I need.

artsown

#16 Post by artsown »

Sailor, I was surprised to hear that you are abandoning tahr and
xenial pups because of a freezing bug. We use the 64 bit latest
versions without any freezing problems. As I've posted more than
once, palemoon has given us problems. But the latest versions of
Firefox and Google Chrome are solid as a rock for us. In the case of
tahrpup64 I use the 4.9.15 kernel.

I guess we are focused on different kinds of useage. I rarely compile.
The most intensive thing I've done is to remaster xenial64 a few times.
Our intensive use here is on the internet. Maybe there are hardware
differences causing our different experiences. We use (often Dell) tower
PCs having dual core and core duo cpus.

Seems to me that it's very important to try to get at the cause of
the problems you have. You can't keep on living in the dark ages
of 32 bits for long :) The technological and marketing rat races will
not allow it.

Art

6502coder

#17 Post by 6502coder »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:I've been using the Slacko 5.7.1 iso above in the 2nd post as my main OS for a while now....
I gave this a whirl on my 2003 Compaq Presario. Very nice!

Sailor Enceladus

#18 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Thanks 6502coder! Thanks also for telling me about the e3 bug. :) I've added a non-stripped version into the adrv.

belham2

#19 Post by belham2 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:....
Hi Sailor,

So i finally got around to downloading your Slacko 5.7. Very nice stuff. 8Geee and you are now my official Slacko-stable guys, as in I can pop it in anywhere on the house systems, from oldie computers to somewhat newer laptops, and just go...no muss, no fuss. To this day, I gotta fight with other slacko-based OSes just to get things like my dual-monitors recognized & redshift to work. Yours (and like all of Mickos 32-and-64 bit creations) fired both up right away without me lifting a finger :D Darn good stuff.

Only thing I did was added LXterminal (gotta have a terminal with copy/paste function----urxvt drives me nuts not having left-click highlight & right-click copy/paste/etc). Also, I complied the latest openssl-i686 as the Jan 16, 2016 version that is in there---it's a bit dated, lol. :wink: Also, if anyone wants/needs this latest openssl-1.0.2l-i686 version, just give a shout. Its' good in many if not most others in i686-puppyland, except the DebianDogs. I used the compile parameters of "--etc=/usr & --openssldir=/etc/ssl" so it should be good to go. It's compiled into a pet & I can easily upload it to my Google Drive Puppy Download site. Just let me know :wink:
Attachments
Sailor's-Slacko-5.7.png
(39.63 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Openssl-1.0.2l-i686.png
(20.04 KiB) Downloaded 551 times

mikeslr

#20 Post by mikeslr »

Hi belham2,

Since the time 0micko published Slacko 5.7 its been my workhorse, the 32-bit system I boot into whenever the current default on grub4dos doesn't provide what I want or I don't have a reason to play around with something else. It does what it does and it does it well and on every computer I've run it from (Toshiba Satellite L775 excepted).

So a current openssl would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it, especially if "Its' good in many if not most others in i686-puppyland".

Perhaps you could post a short notice on the Additional Software Forum, Security, with a link.

Thanks,

mikesLr