Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 00:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
DebianDog - Jessie - Continued
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 29 of 29 [430 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29
backi

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 15:05    Post subject:  

edit
Last edited by backi on Thu 06 Jul 2017, 16:56; edited 3 times in total
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 15:42    Post subject:  

Hi William.
mcewanw wrote:
Personally, I have a lot of time for both the purists (Toni etc) and the non-purists (Fred, as I see it) - but the two seem to have difficulty accepting the others different mindset. And Fred hasn't seemed to recognise that others truly can't modify or use/develop his scripts (EDIT: not for further distribution anyway) if left without a license giving permission.

No. We agreed about the licenses and keeping non-free inside the iso images. I did the licensing work in all repositories. I uploaded MintPup and DebianDog-Squeeze in the organisation repo and finished the fixing in both. I even defended Fred after anikin's comment about the locales module.
But you and Fred didn't accept I can speak with anikin without anger or names calling. I didn't play with you the "bad troll story song" and you both got mad. I don't know why. One day you will see it re-reading those pages.

DebianDog is in very good hands now - the gentle hands of free open source project. As it was and always should be.

Toni

mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017, 17:24    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:

DebianDog is in very good hands now - the gentle hands of free open source project. As it was and always should be.

Well, at least I like your new, and almost unexpected, discourse of optimism. It almost comes across as 'bright' in what has been a very dark period for DebianDog. A downhill period, which was aggravated and perhaps stirred-up out of control by one insanely jealous and pathetic dark force of destruction, despite your other comments to the contrary, and I'm not talking about Fred or yourself, and not even me!!! If you do remain active I'm pretty sure it will one day be you who changes your mind (again) about that particularly meaningless individual. Yes, I'm sure Fred agrees on at least that much, though I never discussed the matter ever with Fred, but formed my own opinion from the devilish wee monkey's (twittwo) caustic attitude (an attitude, I note, that he sometimes pretends to lose - don't be fooled by that backi...).

backi

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 01:59    Post subject:  

anikin wrote :
Quote:
The real significance of DebianDog is this: The future of Puppy Linux depends on it. Under the current, woof system Puppy has absolutely no future. It can only survive if it adopts The DD Mode

D-D is "The best Thing since sliced Bread "

Despite his (anikins ) rude and provoking attitude and the fact he is writing a lot of nonsense ,this seems to be one of his more constructive statements i could agree with .....(from my amateurish point of view ) .

What`s the opinion of the "experts" ?
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 04:47    Post subject:  

backi, I think it would be good if I, and everyone, could try and get back onto thread topics. Nevertheless, I wouldn't wish to compare Puppy with DebianDog at all (aside from look and feel) since they are totally different. I would rather compare DD with the likes of Crunchbang, Elive, something like Trisquel Mini, and Porteus for other obvious reasons - because that comparison shows that DD/XenialDog and so are quite unique - can't find something quite like them out there.

I note that someone has created a list of 50+ best light linuxes and posted link on Puppy forum thread here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=959785#959785

Neither FatDog nor DebianDog (and the really quite different, in many ways, XenialDog, which a lot of Ubuntu fans would love) are mentioned on that list, and there is the issue I'd highlight. Also, the bickering in DebianDog no doubt would not help inclusion on any such list, despite its obvious qualities and differences to all other such light linuxes in practice...

Don't think that has anything whatsoever to do with woof-CE Puppy future per se though - BarryK's OpenEmbedded interest seems more useful for future of Puppy itself IMO. DebianDog is afterall one of many DebianLive created distros, but a kind of unusual one in being so relatively small download with Puppylike facilities (FatDog also has a great deal of similar merit IMO and it is not built on woof-CE either).

Should be posted in another thread though - not sure where.

William

backi

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 06:23    Post subject:  

O.K !!!
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 10:17    Post subject:  

If DebianDog was really going to become a major mini distribution it really needs the github/website/wiki facilities developed and, indeed, own forum, and forget about being on murga forum where it is basically a not-advertised hidden little system that outsiders probably don't even notice. Truly it has very little to do with Puppy Linux - I guess we just don't have the team or time to have much of a dedicated webite/resources for it - that would be the key to DebianDog actually having a presence in the 'history' of available distributions. Not any particular importance in the bigger history of Linux - that is just nonsense - its just another variant of using initramfs and aufs overlay mechanisms, using basic ideas of others and particularly DebianLive and Porteus schemes really - that comment doesn't take away the fact that it is tons of work to produce the DD variant though, but really Fred and Toni were just learning a lot more about DebianLive/Porteus methods as they went along (correct me if I am wrong...).

I really like the way BarryK explains his own experiments with layering (e.g. overlay or aufs with his EasyLinux system) - producing own system really is just a lot to do with studying how such mechanisms work, and writing the boot-up scripts based on that. Been much easier to make DebianDog since more just a matter of learning the basics of already available DebianLive initrd scripts and so on, and similarly for using Porteus initrd script as an alternative - let's be honest about this. I think BarryK EasyLinux is a more exciting platform to learn how such things work - DebianDogs are very good for people wanting to get started with Debian-type systems more generally - and nice to have that Puppy look and feel too - so DDs are useful out of the box as neat little desktop OS systems (EasyLinux maybe nicer as a experimentors platform - or role your own by simply studying initramfs and overlay or aufs methodology along with scripting etc - lot of work though... Pelo hates that kind of thing - he and maybe most just want a working system. I like a working system too, but being from an engineering background I also like to play with system internals - maybe just as an intellectual playground exercise to help us never grow up - maybe that's why (so-called) developers can be so childish cos they are living in some frozen NeverNeverLand which is slowly being eroded by the bigger players such as Google (Android) and so on?

William

Ether

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 11:03    Post subject:  

Here's what makes Debian Dog so very useful to me:

1) simple frugal install using GRUB4DOS, and

2) it works without fuss with almost everything I've tried in the Debian repo, and

3) I can make individual squashfs files for Debian repo apps I want, and can load them on-the-fly so I don't have to boot with them when I don't want them

Puppy used to be my go-to Linux until Deb Dog came along.

I have yet to find a Puppy distro which consistently and reliably does #2 in the above list.

backi

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 11:11    Post subject:  

Good summary and quite inspiring/refreshing to read mcewanw ........ .food for thoughts ....sophisticated entertainment too .So long mcewanw ..., and thanks for all the fish . Laughing Laughing Laughing
Last edited by backi on Fri 07 Jul 2017, 11:27; edited 2 times in total
backi

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul 2017, 11:16    Post subject:  

From the view point of an average user Ether summed it all up .....
Page 29 of 29 [430 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: