How to load Skype at each boot?

Booting, installing, newbie
5cr43313

How to load Skype at each boot?

#1 Post by 5cr43313 »

Hello guys and gals,
My ''problem'' is the following: I got tahr64 running nicely on a machine and wanted to use Skype. Got to have the the 32 bit compatibility sfs to run skype so I got it from quickpet. Skype runs fine when the sfs is loaded but it unloads at every boot. I was just wondering if I could make it load automatically at each boot.

So, I'll keep looking around if I can find any information on the matter but any help would be appreciated.

5cr

frenchiveruti

#2 Post by frenchiveruti »

I'm really not the guy for this situation, but I'm pretty sure that it should load on boot every time if you use a savefile or a save folder (as I suppose you do because you say that you use skype on every boot).
Check out the "LoadSFS" utility, if they are on the right side of the window it should load automatically on each boot.
I'm not actually on my puppy but that's the way it works and I don't recall changing an option that alters that behavior.
Hope it kind of helps haha.

mostly_lurking

#3 Post by mostly_lurking »

Open Menu > System > Boot Manager. There should be an option to select SFS files that will be loaded at boot.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, 5cr43313. And 'Welcome' to the kennels..!

Your desire to use the 32-bit compatibility SFS for Tahrpup64 may be irrelevant in the case of Skype. As of yesterday, the 1st of July, the long-standing Qt-based 4.3 Linux Skype desktop client is now defunct, as the API for it has been retired.

The new, 'tarted-up' version of Skype, which has been the subject of a lot of annoyance globally since it was first released a few weeks ago, is being developed for Windows & Mac first, followed by Android and iOS. And that's it. There is no planned Linux version in the pipeline.

However, there is a new, Electron-based 'Beta' version of Skype for Linux (5.3); 64-bit only. If you're familiar with the web-based version of Skype, you'll recognise this, as they share the exact same interface. You can read more about it in my thread on the subject, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110678

Just thought you might be interested to know.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 02 Jul 2017, 22:32, edited 2 times in total.

tony

#5 Post by tony »

Hi Mike,

in use the skype for linux beta version is severely crippled compared to 4.3.

Movement on the screen causes loss of audio and lip-sync is non existent.

To access settings you have to be in contact with someone.

It might be due to my eeepc computer but it's always worked well for me up to now.

Regards. Tony.

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Tony.

Huh..! I'm not exactly thrilled by it myself, mate. As you say, it is severely 'crippled', compared to the old 4.3 desktop client. :roll:

Which is why I'm investigating other alternatives, including Google Hangouts, Wire, and a couple of others......

5cr43313

#7 Post by 5cr43313 »

First, a big thank you to everyone who took time to answer. I just decided to to load the sfs each time I need it. Bootmanager won't do it automatically altought I'm sure there is a way yo add it to the sfs to be loaded at boot. Tried to add it via the file BOOTCONFIG but it did not work either. It not such a pain to load it with sfs load on the fly so that's the way i'll go.

I will try the 5.3 beta Skype Mike talked about, thank you for the tip kind Sir. I don't own a phone at the moment so I kinda need a way to reach a few people.

May you all enjoy your time on or off the machine.

5cr43313

[/quote]

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again.

As Tony & I have found out, the Beta version of Skype for Linux is not that clever with video calling. It is, however, perfectly okay with Instant Messaging; it's the exact same interface as Skype for Web.

I guess it all depends in what way you wish to keep in touch with others. If you want video calling, there's plenty of alternatives. Wire and Google's Hangouts both work OK, have desktop clients, and a web version...

Skype is no longer the 'be-all and the end-all' that it used to be. Unfortunately, those of us on Linux very often have to keep a copy hanging around (like a bad smell) because other family members or friends are firmly wedded to Windoze, and won't consider any other alternative apps! Not even those that are easily accessible through the browser...

And as watchdog posted upthread, you have to do a certain amount of config file editing to get Skype working properly with your microphone (and PulseAudio; ugh!) Thank you, MyCrudSoft..!

I wouldn't like to say how much longer it'll be before Skype finally cut 4.3 out of the equation; other Puppians have posted that it's still working (for now).