SlimJet 64-bit SFS packages

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#121 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 14.0.10.0 now available***

Afternoon, kiddiwinks.

The current stable release, 14.0.10.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the newest version of Pepper, released yesterday afternoon; 25.0.0.171.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New stuff in this release:-

https://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

NetFlix continues to work well with this release, so.....continue to enjoy! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The previously-mentioned 'silent-launch' feature has been added to /root/Startup; if you look in /root/Startup, you'll find a new script, entitled 'silent_launch_slimjet'. What this effectively does is to launch SlimJet at boot, without 'opening' it; rather along the same lines as how modern Windoze works with hibernation and Fast Startup; it essentially holds it in 'standby-mode' until you launch from either desktop launcher or Menu entry. Upon doing so, it starts almost instantly. :)

If you don't want to make use of this, or wish to disable it, simply delete it from /root/Startup (or comment out the second line).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any problems, as usual, you know where to find me.

Mike. :wink:

orrin

#122 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote: The current stable release, 14.0.10.0, is now available for download.
It looks OK here! Thanks Mike!
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

Mike Walsh

#123 Post by Mike Walsh »

Glad you're happy with it, mate.

Apparently, they've only just got around to adding support for MP3 under the Linux & Mac versions.....two weeks after it's been announced that MP3 is now officially 'dead'.

I can't quite figure that one out, I must admit..! Image

(*shrugs*)

Mike Walsh

#124 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 14.0.14.0 now available***

Morning, all.

The current stable release, 14.0.14.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the newest version of Pepper; 25.0.0.171.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NetFlix still works OK with this release, so.....continue to enjoy! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The previously-mentioned 'silent-launch' feature has been added to /root/Startup; if you look in /root/Startup, you'll find a new script, entitled 'silent_launch_slimjet'. What this effectively does is to launch SlimJet at boot, without 'opening' it; rather along the same lines as how modern Windoze works with hibernation and Fast Startup; it essentially holds it in 'standby-mode' until you launch from either desktop launcher or Menu entry. Upon doing so, it starts almost instantly. :)

If you don't want to make use of this, or wish to disable it, simply delete it from /root/Startup (or comment out the second line).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any problems, as usual, drop me a line.

Mike Walsh

#125 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 15.0.0.0 (Beta) now available***

Morning, all.

The new 'beta' release, 15.0.0.0, based on Chromium 59, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the newest version of Pepper; 26.0.0.131.

I've been testing this for a couple of days now, and all appears to be pretty stable so far...

No problems with NetFlix; everything still working fine with this release. :D

Any problems, let me know. I don't anticipate any, TBH; FlashPeak are getting pretty good at this by now..!

orrin

#126 Post by orrin »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your efforts, but I will probably wait till the new version is
out of 'Beta'.

My older 14.0.10.0 is rock solid for everything that I do, so I will stick
with it for a while.

Chrome 59 has a strange new format for the settings. Did that carry
over to Slimjet?

Mike Walsh

#127 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, orrin.

No worries, mate. I don't always update all my browsers instantly.....and some never get updated. (I still prefer Chromium 36.0.1985.143 in my 32-bit Pups, and have done for some time. It's the 'back-up' browser I turn to when all else fails, because it just 'works'.)

The choice is just there for those who want it. Some folks like to have the most up-to-date versions as soon as they're released.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
orrin wrote:Chrome 59 has a strange new format for the settings. Did that carry over to Slimjet?
I guess you're referring to Google's 'Material Design' policy, which they're steadily introducing into their entire infrastructure. It's related to the Menu 'hamburger' being replaced by the three 'dots; all part & parcel of a gradual design overhaul.

No, you'll be pleased to hear that although FlashPeak have uprated SlimJet's 'guts', they've retained the older Settings layout. You can switch the 'Material Design' thing on if you want to, by going into 'slimjet://flags'.....but, like me, you'll probably leave things as they are..!

redandwhitestripes

#128 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Thanks for making the new version of Slimjet available as an SFS.

Mike Walsh

#129 Post by Mike Walsh »

redandwhitestripes wrote:Thanks for making the new version of Slimjet available as an SFS.
You're very welcome! I basically do these for myself; if all works as intended, I'm more than happy to share...

Enjoy.

redandwhitestripes

#130 Post by redandwhitestripes »

I'm running it in 64 bit tahr Is it still the case that it won't run without the 'no sandbox' option?

Is there any way to disable the warning Slimjet dishes out when starting this way?

I tried your 'trick' in post #1 to change the script but it appears the script itself has changed slightly, I can't find the text you suggest to look for.

Thanks again,
Greg

Mike Walsh

#131 Post by Mike Walsh »

@orrin:-
orrin wrote:Hi Mike,

Thanks for your efforts, but I will probably wait till the new version is
out of 'Beta'.

My older 14.0.10.0 is rock solid for everything that I do, so I will stick
with it for a while.
Just so's you know, I shan't do another release till around 15.0.3.0. 15.0.1.0 is already out; if they follow their usual release cycle, you'll only need to wait about another week...

I normally package every third release or so. If I gave into it, I'd never be away from it!

Mike Walsh

#132 Post by Mike Walsh »

redandwhitestripes wrote:I'm running it in 64 bit tahr Is it still the case that it won't run without the 'no sandbox' option?

Is there any way to disable the warning Slimjet dishes out when starting this way?

I tried your 'trick' in post #1 to change the script but it appears the script itself has changed slightly, I can't find the text you suggest to look for.

Thanks again,
Greg
Mm. That's strange.

The need for the '--no-sandbox' option has always been there in the 32-bit versions that OscarTalks packages, since around Chromium 45 or so. Since I've been using Iguleder's 'libpuppygc.so' lib for the Chromium-based browsers:-...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72667

...they've been running with almost full sandboxing.....so there shouldn't be any need for the 'switch'. Ditto for '--disable-setuid-sandbox' and '--disable-namespace-sandbox'; since libpuppygc.so tricks the browser into thinking you're running as a normal user, rather than root, none of the previously-required 'switches' are needed now.

It was always a peculiarly Puppy-related problem..!

What do you find is happening? Are you starting it from the terminal? What's the warning you're getting.....and where, exactly, is it showing up?

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

redandwhitestripes

#133 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Yes, starting from terminal. Once I made a menu entry and ran it from there...problem solved!

:D :D :D

Mike Walsh

#134 Post by Mike Walsh »

I wouldn't take any notice of the terminal output for these browsers. Chromium, and its various 'clones', always generate tons of crap in the terminal, even when they are running properly; it'll frighten you to death if you read it, but it can be safely ignored.

If you want to check the sandbox status, type 'slimjet://sandbox' in the address bar, and hit 'Enter'. I think there's about 2 out of 6 or 7 that aren't active.....but SlimJet is happy with the degree of protection offered.

SlimJet thinks it's running as a normal user, and sandboxing is 'up to par'. That's all that really matters!

belham2

#135 Post by belham2 »

Hi ya Mike,

Hope you're doing well and the health is doing good. Just wanted to give you a heads up, posted this in Barry's new Quirky version thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 870#960870

Just converted your latest Slimjet sfs to a pet, and it installed perfectly (just had to add the "--no-sandbox" flag to the .desktop file, then all was good). I will fool more with Quirky this coming week and get Slimjet running in Spot with no need for the sandbox flag---I know it can be done as I've done it numerous times in other Quirkies with Google Chrome :wink:

Mike Walsh

#136 Post by Mike Walsh »

Fair enough!

Let me know how you get on with it; I'm always keen to hear about any experimentation with the Chrome/Chromium browsers, as you know.

One thing I am curious about, though.....and that's why you needed to add the '--no-sandbox' switch? Slimmie should be running with almost full sandboxing anyway; the need for that 'switch' has been a necessity with the more recent 32-bit versions, but not the 64s. :?

(Mind you, I don't know the first thing about the 'Quirkies', I'll own...)

Keep me posted, please.

Mike Walsh

#137 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 15.0.3.0 now available***

Morning, all.

The current stable release, 15.0.3.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the newest version of Pepper; 26.0.0.137.

NetFlix still working fine....... enjoy! :D

I don't anticipate any problems, but if there are, y'all know where to find me.

orrin

#138 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:*** NEW Version 15.0.3.0 now available***

Morning, all.

The current stable release, 15.0.3.0, is now available for download.
Hi Mike,

It seems to be OK so far... I'll let you know if I find any problems.

Thanks for your efforts!

Mike Walsh

#139 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, orrin.
orrin wrote:Hi Mike,
It seems to be OK so far... I'll let you know if I find any problems.
Thanks for your efforts!
You're welcome, as always, mate.
Enjoy.

orrin

#140 Post by orrin »

Hi Mike,

It looks as if the password save feature is broken in version 15.....

It asks to save the passwords, but does not! the password data from the previous version was wiped out.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(47.92 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Screenshot(1).jpg
(15.63 KiB) Downloaded 288 times