woof-CE and a new Puppy buildtype?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
scsijon

woof-CE and a new Puppy buildtype?

#1 Post by scsijon »

Been 'having fun' while putting t2 through it's paces and have been referanced to this site https://pkgs.org/ a couple of times for packages.

Since i've a T2 package build in progress (30hr+ each time now), I thought I may as well have a quick look it it, and it's actually very interesting!

As you will find it has an interesting assortment of packages and 'bases' already available.

I was wondering if one of the more advanced woof-CE builders may be interested in having a go at building a Puppy using it as the sole external-to-puppy base. You would need to be careful of course what mixes you put together, but if it could be set to work, it could be a new and interesting way to build a puppy.

If nothing else it could be used as an extra general purpose PPM Repositry site as it seems to always have enough 'throughput' to handle fast downloads at all times of the day or night.

regards to all and back to my T2.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi scsijon.

Long time no see, eh? :D Good to hear from you!

It's a fantastic site that I've turned to every time my PPM
repos didn't have or couldn't give me what I needed.

A couple of thoughts:
-- The site may not be that easy to navigate from a script.

-- The webmaster is a superb and helpful fellow, in my experience; he
certainly knows his stuff.

-- It's based in Kiev, Ukraine, IIRC, so we have to keep geopolitics in mind
(not that anybody wants to).

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Moat

Re: woof-CE and a new Puppy buildtype?

#3 Post by Moat »

scsijon wrote:... and have been referanced to this site https://pkgs.org/ a couple of times for packages.
:shock: :) What a fantastic resource, of which I never even knew existed. Thanks for that very useful tidbit!

Bob

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

I have visited it a couple of times, it's absolutely fantastic!
But it also reminded me of the reason why I am running a small Puppy from limited RAM. There are more than 49000 packages in the main Debian 9 repo! It made me remember my frustration every time a new Debian was released; I hadn't had the time to go through the old repo yet! :x

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

rufwoof

#5 Post by rufwoof »

tallboy wrote:I have visited it a couple of times, it's absolutely fantastic!
But it also reminded me of the reason why I am running a small Puppy from limited RAM. There are more than 49000 packages in the main Debian 9 repo! It made me remember my frustration every time a new Debian was released; I hadn't had the time to go through the old repo yet! :x

tallboy
I have just over 1000 installed (pure Jessie i.e. MAIN repositories only), as a frugal/live boot = 650MB main sfs, which includes office (libre), video editing (openshot, blender, full inkscape), audio editing (audacity) ...etc. The handy things are the stability, speed of security patches and the ease of discovery/installation (not seen that!, apt-get install xyx ... and try it out ... perhaps without session saving if you don't like it).

Only programs I've installed that's aren't from Debian Jessie Main are the latest version of jwm ... installed from Jessie backports and masterpdfeditor4.

The trick with Debian is to stick with oldstable, that still gets security patched and has been through the most extensive of 'live testing' over millions of hours. Providing of course that is in keeping with your hardware (might not support the latest hardware). If for instance you stayed with Jessie (debian 8 ) for the next couple of years whilst newly released Stretch (debian 9) is 'live tested' and fixed ... then by the time that rolls into being oldstable most likely it will be very stable (and any bugs identified with workarounds documented).

I'm tending to stick with xorg, jwm and pcmanfm --desktop (desktop icons) as well as using pcmanfm as the main file manager as the base ... nice and light (and quick too). No themes either, just use the default (in code) theme (so no gtk engine overheads/issues). Great clear fonts/look, not that a scaled down image does that any justice ...
Attachments
s.jpg
(52.45 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

I have always had one heavvvy Debian-box available for serious work! Haha, I think I have almost 50 Debian DVDs, I have downloaded a few versions during the last 10-15 years... :D

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.