WINE won't uninstall from Tarhpup 64 6.0.6

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
autumnleaves

WINE won't uninstall from Tarhpup 64 6.0.6

#1 Post by autumnleaves »

It is impossible to uninstall Wine (as well as Winetricks, etc.) from Tahrpup 64 6.06. Every file seems to depend on other files such that no attempt to uninstall works. Reason for uninstalling: Wine does not work on Tahrpup 64 6.06 (at least not the versions in the PPM and Quickpet). How to find a version that works?

Thanks for any guidance.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

If you use Puppy Package Manager (PPM) uninstall.

If it tells you something about another file or program.
Just uninstall that first and go back to uninstalling Wine.

It may require using Pfind program to search, if it identifies something not listed in the PPM uninstall.

You may need this to run Wine
a 32bit compatibilty.sfs is available which allows tahrpup64 to run skype, steam and various other 32bit packages. to install type sfsget into a terminal. once loaded type ldconfig into a terminal and you're set to go. (if you want to install proprietary graphic drivers please install the 32-compatibilty.sfs first)
You say Wine is not working.
Have you set it up correctly.?

For Wine.

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added program that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select auto-detect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of setup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

autumnleaves

#3 Post by autumnleaves »

Many thanks, Bigpup. I have used Wine for many years on installations of Mint and Precise, so am used to a fairly trouble free experience with Wine. This is the first attempt with Tahr.

When uninstalling programs dependent on others, I found that each one required me to uninstall several more, so I gave up. Perhaps I have broken the installation.

Meanwhile I have installed Wine 2.01 and the extras program for menus. I am still unable to run a Windows .exe installer or do anything with most of the menu selections, some of which don't start at all. For example, Winetricks wont install a program.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Did you do everything I posted above?
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sailor Enceladus

#5 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

autumnleaves wrote:I have used Wine for many years on installations of Mint and Precise, so am used to a fairly trouble free experience with Wine. This is the first attempt with Tahr.
Was your Mint installation 32-bit or 64-bit? You should have no larger problems than Precise if you use 32-bit Tahr. :)

autumnleaves

#6 Post by autumnleaves »

I'm running 64 bit, which was the reason for upgrading to Tahr.

Meanwhile I thought I had done everything Bigpup recommended, but just to be sure I reinstalled 32 bit compatibility and the nvidia driver, which resulted in a frozen machine and improper screen resolution. So I started from scratch with a fresh Tahrpup, 32 bit comp and nvidia driver, and installed the most recent stable release of Wine (2.01.v2.2) and Wine extras 2.1. The system runs fine but Wine does not work. Cannot run Wine Config from the menu.

Is there another way?

Thanks,

autumnleaves

#7 Post by autumnleaves »

Is there a way to check that 32 bit comp is properly installed?

Sailor Enceladus

#8 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

autumnleaves wrote:Is there a way to check that 32 bit comp is properly installed?
Did you type ldconfig after loading it? Unfortunately I don't have a 64-bit machine to test. All I know is Wine works in 32-bit Tahr.
autumnleaves wrote:I'm running 64 bit, which was the reason for upgrading to Tahr.
So the Mint you're running is 64-bit? And Wine works ok in 64-bit Mint?

autumnleaves

#9 Post by autumnleaves »

I ran ldconfig and it worked for almost a minute, producing one line as follows

ldconfig: /usr/lib64/libEGL.so.1 is not a symbolic link

Wine config still does not work.

The Mint system was 64 bit on a desktop. This Puppy is replacing it after the SSD died. Tahrpup64 is installed on a SATA Hard disk. I was previously running Precise on a laptop which now has Tahrpup64, but Wine is not installed on that machine.

autumnleaves

#10 Post by autumnleaves »

I tried running wine from command line. Here are some outputs.
root# wine config
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\config.exe"
root# wine
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version Output version information and exit
root# wine version
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\version.exe"

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi autumnleaves,

Several things:

Tahrpup 64 6.0.6 is experimental. I run Tahrpup 6.0.5. on which I upgraded the kernel to (I think) 4.1.7. I also run Xenialpup64. So, I've never tried 6.0.6.

After loading the compatibility SFS, cut and past the following into a terminal rather than typing:

ldconfig

I'm fairly sure that the first letter in the above is a small l -- as in the letter before m and after k. But it could be the number 1, or a capital I or something else. So I cut and paste.

It should take some time for the above command to be implemented. If the terminal becomes available in a couple of seconds, type it again.

It may require a reboot

To make certain your problem is with the compatibility layer rather than Wine, try running a simpler 32-bit application. For example, QtWeb, which you can get here: Download, unpack and click its binary. http://www.qtweb.net/

Do not use Wine via PPM or Quickpet :roll: Puppies aren't Ubuntu. it's nice that Puppies can directly access Ubuntu's repos. And often PPM does a good job. But, sometimes the files in the debs obtained via PPM (or otherwise) have to be re-arranged. And occasionally, nothing you can do will result in the environment packagers for Ubuntu expected to be present. For Wine, use the pets, SFSes or portable-wine available in the Additional Software Section which have been built to work under Puppies.

If you switch to Xenialpup64, there's an additional step before rebooting.

/etc has to be edited, with the following lines added:

/lib64
/usr/lib64
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
/root/my-applications/lib

The above was NOT necessary in Tahrpup64-6.0.5 but for Xenial Xerus Ubuntu changed how compatibility layering was implemented. Tahrpup64-6.0.6 was published after that change. It's possible that 666philb did the same in 6.0.6. Worth trying if previous steps didn't work.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 12 Jul 2017, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

autumnleaves

#12 Post by autumnleaves »

I'm pretty sure l is a letter and not a number. See above. In any case a number yields "command not found".

I had actually switched to 6.0.6 from 6.0.5 because I was having lots of problems with the latter. Can't recall exactly what at the moment.
I got the sfs files from the thread bigdog pointed out above. The versions are the ones I indicated above.

I downloaded the linux version of QtWeb but the installer won't run.
No run action specified for files of this type (application/x-executable) - you can set a run action by choosing `Set Run Action' from the File menu, or you can just drag the file to an application.

Note: If this is a computer program which you want to run, you need to set the execute bit by choosing Permissions from the File menu.
Thanks for your assistance.

autumnleaves

#13 Post by autumnleaves »

Thanks for the advice about PPM. I always assumed that it was a safe source, but apparently it's just an invitation to problems.

I think the main problem with 6.05 was that I could not get the nvidia driver to install. I need it for my main application, and for general eye comfort.

mikeslr

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Re QtWeb. Don't run the installer. Download the Zipfile. Right-Click it and select UExtract. In the folder created, you'll see a file named QtWeb. Right-click it, select Properties, and place check-marks in each of the boxes under Executable by Left-clicking. Then just Left-click the QtWeb binary.

I don't have nvidia graphics. But the note I stored regarding installation of 32-bit compatibility SFS reads:

MPORTANT NOTE: if you want to install proprietary graphics drivers (nvidia/amd)
install them after installing the 32bit compatibility.sfs or your 32bit apps
may not work.

Don't remember why or where I got that info. Which is why I keep a fairly organized system of notes of things I find less than intuitive.

mikesLr

P.S. THE main problem is Ubuntu changed the way it handles 64-bit applications. Ubuntus place some(all?) 64-bit libraries in folders named /usr/lib/x86-linux-gnu or /usr/local/lib/x86-linux-gnu and structured the OS to find and use libraries in those folders. In Puppies, I think it's a Woof problem, because neither Tahrpup64 nor Xenialpup64 can find those folders. So, to use Ubuntu debs to build Puppy applications, what I do is install PaDS, download the debs into a folder, Right-Click the folder and create a PRELIMINARY SFS. Then I mount the preliminary SFS, and copy all its files into a previously empty folder. Then move files from /usr/lib/x86-linux-gnu or /usr/local/lib/x86-linux-gnu into /usr/lib or usr/local/lib respectively. Then run dir2sfs or dir2pet to create an SFS or Pet. This is required whether or not 32-bit compatibility is involved. PITA. If my memory serves, I didn't have to do that running Slacko64.

A secondary problem is that Puppies are designed to run as Root/Administrator, while Ubuntu applications expect you to be running as a limited User. Some applications --Google-chrome and its clones, VLC, maybe some others I don't recall-- won't let you run as root. Those who build pets/sfses of these applications circumvent their default restrictions.

autumnleaves

#15 Post by autumnleaves »

Thanks for your clarifications. I had actually extracted QtWeb but did not realize that t executable's properties had to be changed. It starts fine.

The complexities of running Puppy are sometimes a bit much for me, and I had hoped that the newer release of Tahrpup would have smoothed over some of the bumps instead of creating potholes of its own. Perhaps these installation issues will be resolved in a future version.

The note about proprietary graphics drivers was quoted above in this thread by bigpup, and I did indeed follow that order for installation. However, given that Qtweb works, should I assume that 32bit is also properly installed?

If that is the case, what could the problem be? If not Wine, then Virtualbox, or are there issues with that as well?

THanks

version2013

#16 Post by version2013 »

autumnleaves wrote:Thanks for the advice about PPM. I always assumed that it was a safe source, but apparently it's just an invitation to problems.

I think the main problem with 6.05 was that I could not get the nvidia driver to install. I need it for my main application, and for general eye comfort.
I forgot at which version of puppylinux I switched my everyday computer from nvidia based desktop to amd based laptop.
I am not sure if I was using 32bit Tahr-6.0.5 with nvidia or amd.
I recall when using the nvidia computer I had general success using 32bit getnvidia.

version2013

#17 Post by version2013 »

autumnleaves wrote:I tried running wine from command line. Here are some outputs.
root# wine config
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\config.exe"
root# wine
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version Output version information and exit
root# wine version
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\version.exe"
wine config

Code: Select all

winecfg
also wine config

Code: Select all

wine winecfg
references:
https://wiki.winehq.org/List_of_Commands
https://wiki.winehq.org/Winecfg

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

You are our eyes. We only know what you tell us. :shock: :!: :!: :!:
f that is the case, what could the problem be? If not Wine, then Virtualbox, or are there issues with that as well?
Tahrpup is installed running in Virtualbox????

You installed Tahrpup64 as a frugal or full install?
If frugal, using a save file or a save folder?
What format is the installed location?

Do not get to hung up on using Wine stable versions.
The latest version of Wine has the best chance of being able to run stuff.

The latest versions of Puppy have changed Puppy a lot.

Try this version of Wine that has a version compiled for Tahrpup.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 180#959180

I have to ask.
You do understand how to install a pet package of a program?
YaPI(any iso installer)

autumnleaves

#19 Post by autumnleaves »

Thanks again for advice. Here's the answer to the first question.
root# winecfg
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nulldrv_CreateWindow Unknown error (127).
Actually I meant that if Wine won't work, would VirtualBox be an alternative, though I vastly prefer not to use VB.

The install is Full with a Folder savefile on an ext3 partition in a 186 Gb drive.

I have installed many pet files so I suppose I know how, if you mean petget. Not so handy with command lines.

autumnleaves

#20 Post by autumnleaves »

Thanks bigdog. Regarding a different version of Wine, which one of these would be appropriate?
wine-2.11_v3.1.pet _________ tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE [stripped=true]
wine-2.11_v3.2.pet _________ tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE [stripped=false]
wine_DEV-2.11_v3.1.pet ____ tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE
wine_DEV-2.11_v3.2.pet ____ tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE
On the other hand, if I can avoid getting into an endless uninstall loop because of dependencies I would certainly prefer that.