tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jangelelcangry

#801 Post by jangelelcangry »

First off, late congrats for this distro. I really like it. :-)
Does anyone here is aware of the Pulseaudio only requirement/bug that leaves most sites muted?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661
I can browse sites but if there's sound, it's almost assured that you can't hear it because it will appear a message at the top of the screen saying that firefox requires pulseaudio.
Attachments
capture32407.png
(39.47 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

watchdog

#802 Post by watchdog »

OscarTalks has provided an apulse pet:

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.10-x86_64.pet

Try to install it in tahr64 and report here. There is a thread about firefox and pulseaudio, too.

jangelelcangry

#803 Post by jangelelcangry »

watchdog wrote:OscarTalks has provided an apulse pet:

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.10-x86_64.pet

Try to install it in tahr64 and report here. There is a thread about firefox and pulseaudio, too.
Thanks watchdog. It works now. I'll report later if there's anything breaking something.
Now we're a step closer to penguin domination. :D

tony

Use with Skype.

#804 Post by tony »

Hi,

I installed the apulse pet and got better loudspeaker volume on Skype. But now my microphone is not detected.

A bit of Deja Vu from Microsoft?

Regards Tony

artsown

#805 Post by artsown »

Has anyone managed to get waterfox working on tahrpup64? If so,
please describe what you had to do.

Art

OscarTalks

#806 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Art,

Latest Waterfox is 54.0.0.1 and unfortunately it does not run in Tahr64 (or Slacko64 6.3.0) because the libstdc++ version is too old. You might need to use a later Puppy or run an older Waterfox.
Oscar in England

artsown

#807 Post by artsown »

Thanks Oscar. I was just curious, since waterfox works fine on both
xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 and slackopup64 6.9.9.9

Art

jangelelcangry

#808 Post by jangelelcangry »

here are my issues so far:
minor
*Can't open .magnet files without workarounds.
*Can't open directories in transmission.
*Can't open some files from Firefox/Palemoon
*Online play for Red Eclipse is impossible because it can't auto update itself.
*Steam tray icon is buggy.

Severe issues
*System crashes or becomes unstable after using it for a few hours.
*Firefox and Palemoon are displaying garbage text or no text at all.
*In some cases/systems, Opening Firefox for the second time will crash the entire system (This happens in Debian too)
*VLC sound cuts ater a few milliseconds.
*Firefox videos stopped working after applying the pulse-audio fix a few days later.

Might update this list later
When these issues are not present, this is one of my favorite operating systems ever.

bigpup

#809 Post by bigpup »

Need to state how Tahrpup64 is installed.
On what device.
What format.
Firefox what version.

A lot of what you are having problems with is classic issues with:
bad install of Tahrpup.
Bad format (file system corrupted)
Save corruption.
Low memory.

I would try a fresh format of the partition.
Fresh new install of Tahrpup64.

How you did the install could be an issue.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jangelelcangry

#810 Post by jangelelcangry »

@bigpup
*The installation is frugal saved in the folder
*the file system is EXT4.
*Cpu: Core i5 2500
*RAM: 4GB 1333 2x2
*GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB Reference design using the FGLRX driver.
*MB: Asrock H61M U3S3 connected to the SATA II (3Gbps) port.
*Pale Moon Version: 27.3.0 (64-bit)
*Mozilla Firefox Version: 54.0.1 (64-bit)
*The filesystem might be bad due to a improper shutdown or the HDD might be on it's way out.
*Low memory? I don't think so. I ran Tahr and slacko5.7-6.0 in a 1GB system and it behaves differently. Once I close Firefox on the 1GB system, it will run normally. the timed stability issue is when i close all the applications the system will become unresponsive, mount will be really slow and unresponsive for example. Maybe a bad HDD. I've saw system with 2 HDD's even if the host HDD is good if the other HDD is bad the system is gonna wait for the HDD to respond. Similarly like when you connect an external hdd to a computer.
I'll try first by deleting the Tahr64 save folder. If the problem persist after a week or more, I'll format the drive.

I don't mind the minor issues mentioned.

bigpup

#811 Post by bigpup »

Now that I do not have to guess at what you have for memory.
Low memory is not your issue, unless you got a memory stick going bad.

If you boot Puppy from something other than the hard drive.
Hard drive cannot be mounted to do this.
Run Gparted.
Right click on a unmounted partition.
Select check.

It will do a file system check and correct anything it finds wrong. Basically checking the format, which is the file system.

The recent versions of Firefox have been a little buggy with Puppy versions, they do require some much newer support files/programs that the Puppy version may not have.

With Firefox it seems to be a moving target what is needed to run Firefox. Just when you get everything setup, they change some dependency requirement.

That was one big reason to offer Tahrpup with PaleMoon browser. The developers of PaleMoon are not constantly trying to require the latest and greatest in support files/programs.
So far, all you do is update PaleMoon with the PaleMoon- updater and it just works.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jangelelcangry

#812 Post by jangelelcangry »

@bigpup
Well, It didn't worked.
Time to nuke.
That was one big reason to offer Tahrpup with PaleMoon browser. The developers of PaleMoon are not constantly trying to require the latest and greatest in support files/programs.
No wonder Why Firefox feels considerably heavier release after release.[/img]
Attachments
capture9702.png
Corrupt firefox example
(41.93 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

rufwoof

PaleMoon updater and Spot

#813 Post by rufwoof »

Tahr 6.0.6 amd64 woofCE'd.

At initial setup I set palemoon to run under userid spot. Set up bookmarks and add in's, all running well and restricted to /root/spot ... later used the menu, internet, palemoon updater to upgrade PaleMoon from 27.1 to 27.4. After upgrading and starting palemoon - all the boomarks and add-ins ... all gone !!!

Ran lsof -i to try and see if palemoon was still running as spot ... and found lsof is the busybox limited version, so installed lsof from puppy package manager and lsof -i indicated that palemoon was running as root.

Running Menu, Setup, QuickSetup first run settings ... and palemoon ticked as running under spot. I had to untick that and set it as running under root and then re-tick it again and set it to run under spot ... for the change to be recorded. Now starting palemoon and running (in a root terminal) lsof -i indicates all is well (palemoon running under spot) and bookmarks/addins all back to how they were before.

Looks like the palemoon updater needs to have additional code to reset it to be running under spot after a palemoon upgrade (if it was previously set to run under spot)

Bird Dog

Tahrpup64 6..0.5 CE

#814 Post by Bird Dog »

Hi jangelelcangry where did you get that driver for your AMD Radeon (reference design) video card?
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

rufwoof

Re: tahr64-6.0.6 running smoothly with kernel 4.9.15

#815 Post by rufwoof »

belham2 wrote:Just wanted to give you a heads up, over the past week I've been running Tahr64-6.0.6 (latest woof-CE build + Phil's latest updates/additions, i.e. latest JWM + radky's FbBox-4.0) with kernel 4.9.15, and it all runs smoothly as far as I can tell.
I woofce'd 6.0.6 selecting the 4.1.11 kernel that offered ... and the fonts were awful. Re-woofing (again using all the defaults) but selecting the 3.14.79 kernel and the fonts are beautiful. Whilst past EoL I'm sticking with the nicer look for the time being.

rcrsn51

Re: tahr64-6.0.6 running smoothly with kernel 4.9.15

#816 Post by rcrsn51 »

rufwoof wrote:I woofce'd 6.0.6 selecting the 4.1.11 kernel that offered ... and the fonts were awful. Re-woofing (again using all the defaults) but selecting the 3.14.79 kernel and the fonts are beautiful. Whilst past EoL I'm sticking with the nicer look for the time being.
Curious that changing kernels would affect font rendering, unless it has something to do with the video driver provided by the kernel?

rufwoof

#817 Post by rufwoof »

Curious that changing kernels would affect font rendering
Surprised me also. I wouldn't have thought that but for first having woof'd 32 bit default choices and used a old kernel, to then woof the 64 bit with a later kernel and seeing distinct differences in font quality. I suspected it was differences between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, but for the next and most recent woof I went with 64 bit and that earlier LTS (now past eol) stable kernel.

I have a GT8600 Nvidia card (with 32" 720p TV as the monitor), but in each case I haven't installed nvidia - just left things with the default system handling (nouveau/mesa ??).

I tried all sorts of configuration with the 4.1.11 kernel version, autohint, hinting on/off ...etc. But no matter what I did the fonts were blurry(ish). With 3.14.79 ... no problems.

Both kernels were as per what woofCE offered/provided (as per the pick one off around 20+ kernel choices screen).

Weird.

rufwoof

#818 Post by rufwoof »

woof'd 6.0.6 with 3.14.79 kernel, and if I boot with pfix=ram,nox ... it still loads X.

If I boot with xforcevesa nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0 kernel boot parameters (as I don't know which one actually does the business), the font appearance in that X session is very much like what I was seeing with the 4.1.11 kernel, which makes me think that 4.1.11 is perhaps missing nouveau/mesa modules/whatever.

jangelelcangry

Re: Tahrpup64 6..0.5 CE

#819 Post by jangelelcangry »

Bird Dog wrote:Hi jangelelcangry where did you get that driver for your AMD Radeon (reference design) video card?
Here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... 4&rev=15.9

for some reason, when I install the quickpet driver, run the aticonfig --initial command it breaks my system.
I'm starting to suspect that aticonfig--initial is not necessary with this driver.

jangelelcangry

#820 Post by jangelelcangry »

Now I found 2 more issues not present before:
* Virtualbox doesn't work anymore
* I can't find slimjet on quickpet or ppm.--- fixed. Quickpet was outdated.
Sorry for complaining so much.