Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 12:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
How do I upgrade syslinux in a puppy?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jul 2017, 10:56    Post subject:  How do I upgrade syslinux in a puppy?  

Hello
The forum, indeed puppyland has been captured by Grub4Dos adherents. syslinux, although it still comes in every puppy, hardly gets a mention these days. And while syslinux is now at version 6.0.3, new pups continue to be produced with v 4.0.4/6. Admittedly, philb has included and used vesamenu.c32 and probably a current syslinux in his tahr-606 (32bit).

So it might be heresy to pose a syslinux question, but I can hope, can't I?

How do I update the syslinux in a puppy to a new version?

The syslinux bootloader installed in my latest puppylinux (tahr-6.0.6) is version 4.0.6.
I have downloaded the latest (6.0.3) and want to update.
The SYSLINUX Wiki suggests the following syntax for updating:

Code:
syslinux [options] <Device_Or_Image>

and U as an update option.
So I assume, with sdb1 being my boot drive, the command would be:

Code:
syslinux -U /dev/sdb1

Is this correct?
Should the device sdb1 be unmounted?
I see no reference to the new version. Do I cd to where the new version is then issue the command? Is it understood that the syslinux.exe in the commandline overrides the existing?

BK

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul 2017, 08:46    Post subject:  

Those commands you mention are for updating where syslinux is installed as the bootloader. I believe the syslinux within a Puppy is really the installer files to enable you to install syslinux.

I presume you have the 6.0.3 source tarball. It does actually also contain some pre-compiled binaries but you can recompile on your system and install. Untar the source package and there are some text documents in the /doc sub-directory including building.txt.

From within the top level source directory it looks like
Code:
make installer
followed by
Code:
new2dir make install
will upgrade within Puppy. The new2dir produces a copy of installed files so you can see what has happened and in case you want to make a .pet package of it.

I tested this in Wheezy. The extlinux executable went into /sbin with syslinux and others going into /usr/bin. Quite a cluster of other stuff is all together in /usr/share/syslinux. Not sure exactly what you want to achieve with this upgrade and I am no expert, but that seems to be along the right lines. If anyone can shed more light feel free to do so.

B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul 2017, 13:07    Post subject:  

@OscarTalks
Good morning/afternoon. Thanks for responding.
My interest grew out of my search for an explanation why my old method of adding a pup in a multipup booting setup with syslinux as the bootloader instead of Grub4Dos failed and failed also as a single O/S boot. The new pup was tahr-6.0.6 (32bit). I was doing my installations from tahr-6.0.2~6.0.5 (see my sig). Results of various cli commands are shown below:
Code:
root# which syslinux
/usr/bin/syslinux
root# syslinux -h
Usage: syslinux [-sfr][-d directory][-o offset] device
root# syslinux --h
root# syslinux --help
root# syslinux -?
root# syslinux -version
root#

The syslinux website showed 6.0.3 as the latest version. The terminal command, syslinux --version at the CD installation of tahr-6.0.6 returned 4.0.5. With such a divergence, I wished to install the latest version or minimally, 4.0.5.
I also found that /usr/bin/syslinux is a syslink to /usr/bin/syslinux-nomtools.

The Update parameter was described on the syslinux site. You will note that 'U' is not among the the option list in the version of my tahr-6.0.5.

Quote:
Those commands you mention are for updating where syslinux is installed as the bootloader.

From above and since I have always created syslinux based menus (never Grub4Dos) I assumed syslinux was installed in every pup. But with the discovery of syslinux-nomtools and after seeing the tree contents of the 6.0.3 tar, I realized syslinux is really not installed; at least not fully so.

I now have 2 stand-alone (not in a multiple pup configuration) tahr-6.0.6 installations (of sorts), so maybe I am on 'a wild goose chase'. Nevertheless, I'll compile using your instructions and install in tahr-6.0.2~6.0.5 as soon as able.
Thanks again for your input and like you, I invite other contributors.

BK

tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » System
Jump to: