Slimjet web browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#121 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.

Yes, that works nicely. I now have my remote copy of SlimJet (currently 15.0.2.0) running in all Pups in the kennel.

I just did what Phil suggested. I have the script open in one window, and my extracted tarball of 'Slimmie' open in another.. Drag the binary across, 'drop' it on the script. All done.

And the same 'trick' works for Iron, too! (Which is hardly surprising...)

I think you're right about libudev. Initially, I'd tried with this still in place a few days ago, before your last post, and.....it didn't want to know. So I've removed it, after performing the BBE-script trick; runs a treat now. Thanks for the tip.

(And there is a LOT less crud in the terminal.)

Under normal circumstances, I'd use your 32-bit packages anyway.....but with having such a convoluted set-up, running multiple sym-linked apps from a remote partition, it really is simpler (for me) to just extract the downloaded tarball, swap 'em over, then perform the mods 'in situ'. But,again:-

.....thanks for the tip!

(davids45 has got a lot to answer for; but his method for running sym-linked apps remotely is a life saver for me. Running the same set of apps in at least 10 different Pups, it'd just be crazy to install every one of 'em 10 times..!)

Cheers.

Mike. :wink:

Marv

#122 Post by Marv »

Version 15.0.3.0 (from OscarTalks SFS) running well in LxPupSx 17.07.24, LxPupXenial (XenialPup 7.0.8.1 based), and X-Slacko 4.2. SFS in the Grub4Dos boot directory, shared by all, and the profile in my EXT2 data partition with symlinks in the various pups. No cruft at all in terminal!

Edit: Updated to 15.0.4.0 using OscarTalks i686 SFS on my all intel i5 laptop (Fujitsu S761) running LxPupSc 17.08.21. No issues noted. Also checked in X-Slacko 4.2, X-Tahr-2.0 and LxPupXenial 17.06.1 on that laptop. Starts and runs fine in all.

Edit: Now updated (08/20/2017) to Version 15.1.0.0 on the S761 laptop per above but now running LxPupSc 17.08.23. Also 15.0.4.0 i686 SFS is now running full time on an intel Bay Trail (J1900 CPU) desktop box running X-Slacko 4.3. No issues noted on either.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

#123 Post by Marv »

Bump: 10/16/2017. Now running Version 15.1.5.0 on the SS761 laptop, both in ZestyPup 17.10.13 and in LxPupSc 17.10.22. Runs well in both, using it as the default browser across the board. Twas an edit but I wanted you to know someone appreciates your SFS over time. Download link here

Thanks again.. and again,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

roadkill13

#124 Post by roadkill13 »

@marv
Bump: 10/16/2017. Now running Version 15.1.5.0 on the SS761 laptop, both in ZestyPup 17.10.13 and in LxPupSc 17.10.22. Runs well in both, using it as the default browser across the board. Twas an edit but I wanted you to know someone appreciates your SFS over time. Download link here

Thanks again.. and again,
Thanks for the heads up.

@OscarTalks

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...

Running quite well in Musher0's xenial 7.06 derivative.

greengeek

#125 Post by greengeek »

Does anyone have a version of Slimjet that runs on Slacko 5.6 (slack 14.0 compatible) that is capable of accessing Youtube? I have just tried several of OscarTalks versions (that I thought were working on youtube previously) but they all tell me I have no compatible video formats and offer to tell me more about html5.

Are some versions of Slimjet HTML5 compatible or am I somehow setting up wrong?

OscarTalks

#126 Post by OscarTalks »

I have Slacko 5.7 on one of my machines here and Slimjet 14.0.16.0 is working and playing YouTube videos OK. You might need to uncheck the option to force the use of flashplayer on YouTube in the settings and possibly restart Slimjet afterwards.
Oscar in England

Sylvander

#127 Post by Sylvander »

OscarTalks wrote:I have Slacko 5.7 on one of my machines here and Slimjet 14.0.16.0 is working and playing YouTube videos OK.
I too run Slacko 5.7.
Could you post a link to a Slimjet 14.0.16.0 SFS?

greengeek

#128 Post by greengeek »

Sylvander wrote:I too run Slacko 5.7.
Could you post a link to a Slimjet 14.0.16.0 SFS?
Have a look at this link from Oscars post on previous page:
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB?force_show=1

greengeek

#129 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:I have Slacko 5.7 on one of my machines here and Slimjet 14.0.16.0 is working and playing YouTube videos OK. You might need to uncheck the option to force the use of flashplayer on YouTube in the settings and possibly restart Slimjet afterwards.
Many thanks Oscar - that did the trick. cheers!

Sylvander

#130 Post by Sylvander »

Slimjet 14.0.16.0 sfs is now available and functioning within my Slacko-5.7.0-pae.
Is this a version of Chrome?
It's a pity that Google gathers info on the users' browsing.
If they were only being helpful I wouldn't mind so much, but...
I did some configuring, but not exactly sure of what I'm doing.

Ahh, youtube videos won't play.
Tried: "uncheck the option to force the use of flashplayer on YouTube in the settings", but I get a forced Google sign-in box.
Must this be completed before settings can be configured?

OscarTalks

#131 Post by OscarTalks »

As I understand it, Slimjet is a derivative of the Chromium open source project.
There are a number of these, including Chrome which is Google's fully branded derivative.

I am able to watch YouTube videos and was never presented with anything requiring me to sign in to Google. I believe that YouTube may not work with flash player at all nowadays. It is HTML5 only I think. The tickbox for forcing the use of flash needs to be unchecked and it has been removed from later Slimjet versions as it no longer works at all. I sometimes update the pepper flash version in those packages. Users can do this manually too if they find a need to. A lot of media handling has moved away from flash now though so it is needed much less than before.
Oscar in England

Sailor Enceladus

#132 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I too noticed that I had to uncheck the "Force flashplayer" option in Slimjet 14.0.16 settings to play youtube videos (I don't have flash installed). It was quite easy to fix once I found the option, but a strange option to have checked by default I think, I would think the complete opposite would make more sense in 2017 (force youtube to use html5 even if Flash is installed).

Sylvander

#133 Post by Sylvander »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:It was quite easy to fix once I found the option...
Where is it?
What steps to find it?

OscarTalks

#134 Post by OscarTalks »

Open the "Settings" page
Scroll down to the "Misc" section near the bottom
Remove the tick from the "force flash player" option
Close and restart Slimjet
Attachments
forceflash.jpg
Remove the tick from the option to force flash player
(66.7 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Oscar in England

sleeper48

#135 Post by sleeper48 »

OscarTalks wrote:I sometimes update the pepper flash version in those packages. Users can do this manually too if they find a need to.
How do I manually update the slimjet flash? Can't seem to find libpepflashplayer.so anywhere. I'm on slacko puppy 5.6 with slimjet 15.1.6.0.
Last edited by sleeper48 on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 06:42, edited 4 times in total.

Sylvander

#136 Post by Sylvander »

OscarTalks wrote:Open the "Settings" page
Scroll down to the "Misc" section near the bottom
Remove the tick from the "force flash player" option
Close and restart Slimjet
That fixed it. :D

Mike Walsh

#137 Post by Mike Walsh »

Merry Xmas, y'all!

One little tip, for anyone who's interested. This only seems to work for SlimJet; doesn't work for Chrome, or Iron. If you want to update within the same series (14-series, 15-series, 16-series, etc.), download the tarball, extract the contents, and just swap over the main 'slimjet' file within the '/slimjet' directory.

This will give you the newest version, without needing to change anything else. Probably because, with SlimJet, every release within a given 'series' is based on the exact same version of Chromium.....and FlashPeak simply modify the main 'shared library'.

I'm not trying to put Oscar out of a job here (honest!), but I thought the information might be useful to all concerned, packagers and users alike.

Mike. :wink:

OscarTalks

#138 Post by OscarTalks »

sleeper48 wrote:How do I manually update the slimjet flash? Can't seem to find libpepflashplayer.so anywhere. I'm on slacko puppy 5.6 with slimjet 15.1.6.0.
The 2 files libpepflashplayer.so and manifest.json are in the PepperFlash sub-diectory which is inside the main slimjet directory. This will normally be found under /opt or /usr/lib

Delete those 2 files. Download the correct PPAPI tarball from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
Extract the 2 new versions of those files.
Chown them to root:root
Put them in place of the old files.
Oscar in England

sleeper48

#139 Post by sleeper48 »

OscarTalks wrote:
sleeper48 wrote:How do I manually update the slimjet flash? Can't seem to find libpepflashplayer.so anywhere. I'm on slacko puppy 5.6 with slimjet 15.1.6.0.
The 2 files libpepflashplayer.so and manifest.json are in the PepperFlash sub-diectory which is inside the main slimjet directory. This will normally be found under /opt or /usr/lib

Delete those 2 files. Download the correct PPAPI tarball from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
Extract the 2 new versions of those files.
Chown them to root:root
Put them in place of the old files.
I have no /opt & no Pepperflash in usr/lib/slimjet. Only Pepperflash I see is in /config/slimjet, but it's empty. I have an old flash installed, but located where I have no clue. Suggestions?

OscarTalks

#140 Post by OscarTalks »

It sounds like you have got some things going on which are non-standard and that makes it more difficult to advise. However, if you enter slimjet://version in the address bar it should give you (among other information) the location of libpepflashplayer.so
Oscar in England